What would you do/show a first timer?

LoriMistress

Original Poster
I'm going to bring one (but possibly two) first timers to WDW Dec of next year. My DM is going to go with us (she's in her early 60's), and possibly my DB (who's in his mid 30's). My DM doesn't want to overwhelmed with tons of "Disney stuff." It took her years of me convincing her that WDW isn't just "a kiddie place."

Can anyone share any stories/experiences of taking first timers (who are not children)? Did you have any experiences of shows, restaurants, resorts, etc. that you took a first timer too? Or just maybe the trip overall with a first timer.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the two first timers have been to DLR countless times.

copcarguyp71

In the MK I would say Pirates, Hall of Presidents, Carousel of Progress, and The Haunted Mansion would all be must-sees for the non-kiddie crowd as first timers.

dreamfinder

I would definitely spend some time away from the parks. Maybe tea or something at the Grand Floridian? At least visit a handful of the deluxe resorts, maybe schedule a massage or mani/pedi together.

At MK definitely Pirates, Haunted Mansion, depending on their disposition the Mountains. But Epcot, and AK should definitely cover the not kiddie park agenda. Both have plenty for adults to do an enjoy. DHS is good if they like the thrill rides, but I'm not sure how much a 60 yo will do.

I took my DW for her first real WDW trip. We stayed at All Star Sports, which she definitely thought was a little kiddie/tacky. Upgrading to a moderate made all the difference in the world. Staying at a moderate (no pirate room at CBR) will help to show it isn't all kiddie stuff.

Do a good TS meal. Boma, Jiko, Ohana, something that shows they have good food and environments. (Stay away from Chef Mickey's if she doesn't want to see kids)

Pete C

Start with the least "Disney" of the parks, Animal Kingdom, on the first day. This is a great intro for someone who is skeptical about Disney since it looks so authentic and is loaded with art, natural beauty, and cultural references at every turn. It is by far the prettiest and least theme-park like of the 4.

Next stop, Epcot. The World Showcase also appeals to non-theme park goers and may peak their interest in the different countries food and informational movies/rides. At this point, they should be warming up to Disney and possibly loving it.

They are now ready for Hollywood Studios, which offers attractions that appeal to many different people.

MK should be saved for last since it is the most similar to what they have already experienced at DLR, and apparently don't care for.

harveyt0206

I would let your DM take a look at some of the WDW websites and tell her to pick her top 5 "can't wait to see that" items from each park. Tell her to pick anything she wants - restaurants, rides, shows.... Maybe this will help her get excited for the magic and also help her feel like she is part of the decision making process.

Before my mom and I went on our girls only trip last year, I checked out several WDW books from the library so that she could take a look at everything. It really helped her visualize what she was going to see and helped her get excited about the overall experience.

Have a great trip!! :wave: Hopefully you will come home with another Disney fanatic.

MacDrizzle13

If your looking for some of the more adult things to do Downtown Disney's Pleasure Island is full of some great bars. However I had the best time at Jellyrolls which is on the boardwalk outside the Boardwalk hotel. The drinks are pretty good but the main draw for me was the dueling piano's. Had a blast each of the three nights we went (and slept in on the days following. Love them non-beverage beverage's).

powlessfamily4

My brother is quite the Disney guru and he took me for my first time at WDW. I have to say it was great being with someone who knew where to go and what to do...... I think Worldshowcase would have to be a must do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom