What would it take to return to Communicore?

junglecruise93

Original Poster
So - what if Communicore was reimagined retroactively, and the whole notion of future technology was brought back, but in 2018 terms. Could Apple, Samsung, Intel, etc. come on as sponsors and the pavilion be reconstructed as it was originally designed but in a way that showcases the future from this point moving forward? A digital playground for all ages, in effect - regularly updated to keep things current.

Has this idea been proposed? Would the general public buy in? Is it a problem attracting those kind of sponsors? I miss the original Epcot as many of the posters in this forum do, and just sometimes wonder what it would take to bring it back.

TestTrack seems to have accomplished this concept quite well - even Mission Space to an extent. Why not Communicore?

Thoughts...

Spash007

With the advances made in technology, the theme seems to be easily executable. However, I think it would be a tough sell since we now have so much technology in our pockets at all times. I think the general thought would be why spend dedicated time doing something we are all equipped at doing in queues?

And then, my biggest fear would be that rather than really showcasing true advances in technologies, the corporations would use it as marketing (come play with the iPhone 11 before it hits stores!) etc.

geekza

That's pretty much what Innoventions was. The problem was that the companies wanted to see a return on their investment and that didn't really happen. What did happen is that the products and technologies that were on display were quickly outdated, with no incentive for the companies to pay to bring in new things. The massive visibility didn't translate to increased sales.

I'd like the space to, at least partially, go back to showing how technology is used in the parks, but I don't see that happening either. Future World as a concept is dead. Expect anything that may eventually go into the space (if it isn't simply torn down) to be IP-based.

gustaftp

With the advances made in technology, the theme seems to be easily executable. However, I think it would be a tough sell since we now have so much technology in our pockets at all times. I think the general thought would be why spend dedicated time doing something we are all equipped at doing in queues?

And then, my biggest fear would be that rather than really showcasing true advances in technologies, the corporations would use it as marketing (come play with the iPhone 11 before it hits stores!) etc.
The thing is, people still will want to know how stuff works. Having technology in our pockets doesn't mean we actually know much about how technology works, and that is where Communicore excelled.

Having visited one of 3M's Innovation Centers, I can say that it really had the feel of an EPCOT exhibit, everything from a cool domed video and awesome lighting effects to introduce us, to various "stations" to explore the old and new technologies and how they are being used, can be used, and ways they are working on improving them. TOTALLY something that would be right at home in Communicore.

geekza

The thing is, people still will want to know how stuff works. Having technology in our pockets doesn't mean we actually know much about how technology works, and that is where Communicore excelled.

Having visited one of 3M's Innovation Centers, I can say that it really had the feel of an EPCOT exhibit, everything from a cool domed video and awesome lighting effects to introduce us, to various "stations" to explore the old and new technologies and how they are being used, can be used, and ways they are working on improving them. TOTALLY something that would be right at home in Communicore.
You, me, and lots of other people would love that. Unfortunately, not enough people to make Disney feel like it is worth spending the money on. They are all about only spending money with the idea that it will bring more people into the parks than are currently there, especially at Epcot. Lots of us miss the original EPCOT Center and its ideals, but as far as Iger and Chapek are concerned, that park is dead.

5thGenTexan

latest

TwilightZone

I feel like product showcase innoventions/communicore is dead. Too many advancements in technology causing the displays to become outdated, businesses getting little incentive to show off their products, and the internet showing new technologies all the time without the need of a park ticket kills the idea.
Backstage magic innoventions/communicore, however, could still work. Have guests tinker with things, learn about the behind the scenes of disney. Add some robot creation displays, or some 3D printers. Only problem with this is that the general guest does not want to learn during their disney vacation.

andysol

Could Apple, Samsung, Intel, etc. come on as sponsors and the pavilion be reconstructed as it was originally designed but in a way that showcases the future from this point moving forward?
Yes

Has this idea been proposed?
No

Would the general public buy in?
Yes

Is it a problem attracting those kind of sponsors?
Yes

TestTrack seems to have accomplished this concept quite well - even Mission Space to an extent. Why not Communicore?
$$$

Smiley/OCD

IMHO, the ONLY way an Apple would sign on as a sponsor would be to build a giant Apple store connected to it. I don't know about you, but I'm not going to waste an hour (or more) of my families valuable vacation time at Disney looking at $1,000.00 iphones when we could be going on rides. Unfortunately, as others have said, the speed of technology has gotten SO fast, that in the time an idea is presented, to the time the attraction is built and opened, the technology is outdated. This coupled with the fact that some of the new technologies are such a closely guarded secret, most companies are no longer willing to showcase their future items in fear of copyright infringement which takes YEARS and costs $$$$$ to fight in court. I do like the idea of showcasing Disney technologies, but two factors with that idea come into play...first, Disney has proprietary information that they are not willing to disclose and secondly, showing behind the scenes glimpses will ruin the magic for guests.

We as fans of the "old" Epcot are just going to have to accept the fact that the state of technology is moving so quickly, it's nearly impossible to keep up with the changes in a timely fashion. I don't think there is ONE corporation that would be willing to change out their displays once every year or two...that would be too cost prohibitive. I honestly don't have an answer to that question...maybe Epcot WILL just become another ip filled park. I would LOVE to see something new come of it, though.

AEfx

That's pretty much what Innoventions was. The problem was that the companies wanted to see a return on their investment and that didn't really happen. What did happen is that the products and technologies that were on display were quickly outdated, with no incentive for the companies to pay to bring in new things. The massive visibility didn't translate to increased sales.

I agree. It just doesn't really work from any angle these days.

It really boils down to there being little incentive for third party companies to be involved. I mean, let's talk about Apple. They don't need an ounce of promotion (most profitable company in the world already), their flagship newest products are available in their own Apple stores in every mall in America, and they are never going to put up exhibits and such about future products - that's all highly secret information they don't want anyone having until they have a finished product to show at a press event.

The world is just very different this century than last. I mean, just in terms of sponsorship - what, 10ish million people come to Epcot every year? You can create a viral campaign that gets that many impressions with a stupid meme or short video ad for practically no cost comparatively now.

I truly get the passion that people have for early Future World, and just miss it so much that they really believe there is a way to keep it "updated" - but I just don't see practically how that is a concept that can work today because of how much business (both theme park and otherwise) and development of technology has changed.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
The very nature of communication is changing today. What currently exists is for the most part still just an evolution of the wired last mile paradigm that's been the status quo for the past 120 years. IOT (Internet of things) is just starting to coalesce as we move from IPv4 to IPv6 .

The Empress Lilly

CommuniCore relies on there being an EPCOT. A showcase for American industry rather than a Disney IP vending station.

There is no 'Energy Exchange' without an Energy pavilion. (Maybe there can be a Pedos of the Ga...oops, Guardians of the Galaxy exhibit!)

The area of modern EPCOT that most closely resembles what a 2018 CC would be like is next door, SSE's Project Tomorrow. I actually love that little postshow. As classic EPCOT as it comes despite being just a decade old. However, with the loss of the Siemens sponsorship I fear for its future more than that I'm hopeful for more of its kind.

I would like to see a CommuniCore that, along with a restored Spaceship Earth, is actually about communication and learning new languages. That seems like a great theme for the heart of Epcot, better than consumer electronics. Plus it means a longer shelf life without any rotating sponsors and tech.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom