What will the experiences at the resorts be like post COVID?

Club Cooloholic

Safer in July then next fall or winter.... Not going away until they have a vaccine and even that wont be 100%.... If you have young and healthy, go.... Old and obesity with high blood pressure, stay home and hide out....
This is not as simple as what you think.

Hockey89

This is not as simple as what you think.
Yes, there is no absolute to who can get it. But the cases show it is a very small amount and most show little to moderate symptoms. If we are going to play the absolute game, lets all just stay inside forever until we have a vaccine...

In general, it is older Americans that have health issues.

Club Cooloholic

Yes, there is no absolute to who can get it. But the cases show it is a very small amount and most show little to moderate symptoms. If we are going to play the absolute game, lets all just stay inside forever until we have a vaccine...

Nothing right now is definitive. I am not saying to stay inside till a vaccine is in order, but I also am not going to make sweeping generalizations about who should or should not be worried about contracting it, and if it's safe to cramp into an amusement park. If you read that its showing some 6 weeks later after a child has contracted it.

Hockey89

Nothing right now is definitive. I am not saying to stay inside till a vaccine is in order, but I also am not going to make sweeping generalizations about who should or should not be worried about contracting it, and if it's safe to cramp into an amusement park. If you read that its showing some 6 weeks later after a child has contracted it.
If people are scared or/and have preexisting conditions, they should stay home and be careful. I would not fault anyone for that, but at the same time there has to be a cost benefit to this whole process....

Maybe it is the state I am in where we have almost no cases and the average age of death is 85 and in nursing homes. I'm not saying a single death is not sad it is....

It would seem to be a poor business decision to severely restrict guests at the resorts- things like closing pools and making guests wear masks would keep so many away- especially where there are resorts all over the South that are currently open that have open pools and don’t require masks.

Some argue that Disney will have to require masks at the resorts because of the union agreement, and I don’t know enough about what’s in the agreement to judge one way or the other. Some think they will keep pools closed. None of that makes sense from a business standpoint, since their competition will be welcoming guests and having far fewer restrictions. But maybe the union is that powerful. I don’t know.

They will have to restrict some things, like playgrounds and activities that require close contact. But I am hoping to see the resorts function far more normally than the parks. Especially since there are resorts all over Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina that are already doing so.

Shouldigo12

I think the general theme of the thread, OP, is "None of us have any clue". ;) Pools may be open, they may not. Parks may open with the resorts, they may not. Sit-down options for meals may be available, and they may not. And so on. At the end of the day, the first people to go to the park are going to be the guinea pigs. And if the resorts are open in July, that means you. Since you said in your posts you wouldn't be happy with a trip that has limited offerings, you would probably be better off canceling the trip.

todai44

No one knows exactly what resort amenities will be available during your scheduled visit; however, I'm confident Disney will make every effort to keep customers safe. I discussed the situation with my family, as well as the risks, and we decided to continue with our late-August WDW resort vacation (booked pre-COVID). Of course, we are willing to wear masks and follow strict hygiene and social distancing protocol, which we are now used to in our area. What we aren't willing to do is sacrifice our freedom of choice in leu of unmitigated fear. If the Orlando area is deemed safe for gradual reopening, with health and safety guidelines, then we will not hesitate to visit WDW.

@durangojim
Thank you for your service as a doctor during this difficult time.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Safer in July then next fall or winter.... Not going away until they have a vaccine and even that wont be 100%.... If you have young and healthy, go.... Old and obesity with high blood pressure, stay home and hide out....
I'm not saying "cancel the trip because you should be scared of the virus," I'm saying "cancel the trip because the restrictions will make it suck."

crawale

I think the general theme of the thread, OP, is "None of us have any clue". ;) Pools may be open, they may not. Parks may open with the resorts, they may not. Sit-down options for meals may be available, and they may not. And so on. At the end of the day, the first people to go to the park are going to be the guinea pigs. And if the resorts are open in July, that means you. Since you said in your posts you wouldn't be happy with a trip that has limited offerings, you would probably be better off canceling the trip.
All this 'keep us safe' has become ridiculous. Are we not able to think and decide for ourselves rather than a nanny government. Most stupid comment I have heard was on the opening of NASCAR - officials say they were 'keeping drivers safe' - how much more likely were they to die in a fireball going 200 miles per hour than from any virus. Let's bring back some common sense.

According to CDC data as of May 16th, 80.6% of deaths have been in those 65 and older. Many of younger ones were those were already critically ill or had serious underlying conditions. I wonder how many lives we could save if we devoted resources to protecting the vulnerable rather than painting social distancing lines in every public location, forcing the healthy to wear masks, shutting down schools and businesses, policing social-distancing and mask-wearing and business and church closings, wiping down every surface, and all of the other things we have done to spread our resources thin.

I wonder if the resorts and parks and everything else in this country could get back to close-to-normal if we devoted our resources to protecting those who are truly at significant risk.

Mickey5150

The only thing I would bet money on is that your room won't be cleaned during your stay. Not only is it a cost savings, which Disney could use right now, but it also reduces a source of transmission.

Shouldigo12

The only thing I would bet money on is that your room won't be cleaned during your stay. Not only is it a cost savings, which Disney could use right now, but it also reduces a source of transmission.
I didn't even think about housekeeping. I can definitely see this happening though. Doing one big, deep clean in-between guests and then telling guests they'll have to handle cleaning themselves for their stay. Or maybe they'll switch all rooms to the DVC method temporarily: once every four days.

Ali Mouse

According to CDC data as of May 16th, 80.6% of deaths have been in those 65 and older. Many of younger ones were those were already critically ill or had serious underlying conditions. I wonder how many lives we could save if we devoted resources to protecting the vulnerable rather than painting social distancing lines in every public location, forcing the healthy to wear masks, shutting down schools and businesses, policing social-distancing and mask-wearing and business and church closings, wiping down every surface, and all of the other things we have done to spread our resources thin.

I wonder if the resorts and parks and everything else in this country could get back to close-to-normal if we devoted our resources to protecting those who are truly at significant risk.

Well said!

stratman50th

That's what was done in Florida, and why our state is at the forefront of the reopening curve. The vulnerable population was protected from the beginning. Is it possible there could be another surge? Sure, anything is possible.

BASS

And how do you suggest we protect the vulnerable if we do not attempt to curb the spread among healthy people, who then can transmit to an elderly parent, grandparent, or other compromised individual?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
And how do you suggest we protect the vulnerable if we do not attempt to curb the spread among healthy people, who then can transmit to an elderly parent, grandparent, or other compromised individual?
Isolate the elderly parents, grandparents, or other compromised individuals.

Or don't, if they don't want to be isolated. My parents would rather hang out with their grandkids than be locked in a bunker.

Exactly like Captain America said. It may not be fair to them or their families that they happen to be the population at risk, but isolating everyone, ruining businesses, scaring people into not going to the doctor, and risking the mental and emotional health of our children, who have really not been physically affected at all, is a poor answer.

And many medical professionals agree. Over 600 doctors signed a letter to the President saying that the country must open now- otherwise there will be "mass casualties."

"'The downstream health effects ... are being massively under-estimated and under-reported. This is an order of magnitude error.'"

The letter states that calls to the suicide hotline have increased 600 per cent, liquor sales have increased 300 to 600 per cent and cigarette sales have also increased."

"The millions of casualties of a continued shutdown will be hiding in plain sight, but they will be called alcoholism, homelessness, suicide, heart attack, stroke, or kidney failure. In youths it will be called financial instability, unemployment, despair, drug addiction, unplanned pregnancies, poverty, and abuse."

Protect the sick and vulnerable (if they choose to be protected)- set everyone else free.

Or don't, if they don't want to be isolated. My parents would rather hang out with their grandkids than be locked in a bunker.

BASS

I read this yesterday (from a professor of biology at UMass Dartmouth):

"Symptomatic people are not the only way the virus is shed. We know that at least 44% of all infections--and the majority of community-acquired transmissions--occur from people without any symptoms (asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic people). You can be shedding the virus into the environment for up to 5 days before symptoms begin." Source: https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them.

That's the scary part. Without restrictions in place, seemingly healthy people can transfer the virus to others without even knowing.

I hate this as much as the next person, but as the author of the article cited said, "if you don't solve the biology, the economy won't recover."

Last edited:

Lilofan

I didn't even think about housekeeping. I can definitely see this happening though. Doing one big, deep clean in-between guests and then telling guests they'll have to handle cleaning themselves for their stay. Or maybe they'll switch all rooms to the DVC method temporarily: once every four days.
That would be terrible for the big team of housekeeping WDW has. They would have limited hours to work or get laid off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom