What will the experiences at the resorts be like post COVID?

Duckberg

After WDW re-opens my bet is that internal park social distancing is not going to hold for very long. People will do what they feel safe & comfortable doing if they are paying to get in. :cool:

bdearl41

I would encourage you to just move it back a year. Anything prior to October is probably going to feel uncomfortable and lacking in experience. Do a local trip this year and just wait til next year. We moved our trip to next May and I am not worried about a thing. Plus the kids will be a year older and for us taller which will give them more ride opportunities.

durangojim

Original Poster
Wondering if you would go if the parks aren’t open, or severely restricted? Is this a case of “we need to getaway and a resort-only stay is fine” or would you at least want some of the parks open?
Most likely not. We'd probably go somewhere else that was was less expensive. We're from Michigan so there are a lot of outdoor experiences and activities that we can do.

durangojim

Original Poster
I would encourage you to just move it back a year. Anything prior to October is probably going to feel uncomfortable and lacking in experience. Do a local trip this year and just wait til next year. We moved our trip to next May and I am not worried about a thing. Plus the kids will be a year older and for us taller which will give them more ride opportunities.
We're thinking about it. My wife and I are planning on running the Wine and Dine Half Marathon in November and have no idea how that will play out.

surfsupdon

We're thinking about it. My wife and I are planning on running the Wine and Dine Half Marathon in November and have no idea how that will play out.
If things are not near normal, we are expecting:
- extending the expo hours/days to naturally spread people out
- increase the number of corrals to spread people out at start with a recommendation to social distance
- grab your own water at stops, or take from a volunteer, your choice
- reminding runners to cough/sneeze into your arm
- extra hand sanitizer all over

I do firmly believe a large scale race is doable. I will be there too.

Hockey89

Firstly, I would be very concerned about contracting the disease, not only for myself and for those with me and who happen to be near me. You don't need to look very far as to how many people this disease has killed and I do not want to add to the statistics in any way. I am having to completely rethink our plans to visit WDW in the light of all this and I'm not going to commit to anything until this situation subsides.

Secondly, I don't suppose anyone has any real idea what will happen to the parks in either the short term, long term or even permanently. I dare say there will be radical changes at every level and everyone is going to have to accept this is how things are going to be from now on.
Actually, no. As the Stanford study showed in Santa Clara Country, 50 to 80 times more people had it then first thought. Any idea what that does to the death rate? Yeah..... This is the type of super overreaction that is laughable. If you are old or sick or in heath, yes this a real thing and you should plan accordingly. For healthy adults, nope. Not worried at all....

If you take my state, it is people in nursing homes dying...

Last edited:

MissViv

I have a solo trip planned for October. My DH is really not a Disney fan and is really not up to a trip. We are both seniors and I am flying (airfare was just too cheap) so I planned a solo trip for 3 days. It's hard to get away with DH and two cats but he is happy to stay home and me go alone, although he worries about me.

Not sure the trip will happen in October, who knows what the virus or world will be like then but it is on the burner. I used to do the pools & hot tubs but not any more. We use to cruise a lot and I stayed out of the pools and hot tubs.

I, in some way, believe that we need to be exposed to the virus and get over it but my DH does not feel that way. I do not wear masks to the grocery store but we do stay at home unless absolutely necessary and we are staying away from other members of the family right now.

Who knows how this will all end but I am watching closely to see how Disney handles this and am anxious to return to the resort and parks. My DH thinks Disney will not open this year. We will all have to wait and see.

Rabflmom

After WDW re-opens my bet is that internal park social distancing is not going to hold for very long. People will do what they feel safe & comfortable doing if they are paying to get in. :cool:

I think tourists coming into the state are going to have to adjust park visiting to social distancing or the parks will have to close again when the Covid-19 gets so many CMs sick that the parks will not have enough CMs to open. Disney knows how expensive it is to close and they don't want to do it again. I think if people pretty much come in and think they can just do as before and ignore the social distancing, they will be wrong. I think rules will have to be enforced by management and the CMs and we might just see more people being walked out of the parks with their families and groups and possibly off Disney Property totally if they cause a ruckus when asked to maintain distances and follow procedures set up. Do you really think it is fair to put the CMs in the position of being "Covid-19 cops" and exposing them just because you are too impatient to follow what Disney sets up? I also see arguments from the I am going to stand as close as I can people arguing with the keep your distance people and putting our CMs in the position to have to intercede. That is not fair to them either. I think people are going to have to realize they will not be able to do as much in a day ....Think every seat in every ride has to be sanitized before someone else can touch anything on it......Life at Disney as we knew it will not be the same until we can control and eliminate this virus.

JIMINYCR

Well everyone ( Disney, Uni and all the others in the industry ) will be closely monitoring the Shanghai model of operating and will be adjusting policies depending on how things work or fail. Theres certainly going to be glitches in the works until things start moving smoothly. Then as others dare to open their parks, there will be more adjustments made as they try to make the system easier on their guests.

monykalyn

I have a solo trip planned for October. My DH is really not a Disney fan and is really not up to a trip. We are both seniors and I am flying (airfare was just too cheap) so I planned a solo trip for 3 days. It's hard to get away with DH and two cats but he is happy to stay home and me go alone, although he worries about me.
This is the reason I’m thinking of a long weekend trip! Cheap airfare, plus my kid who’s going to UCF birthday is in October.
@durangojim didn’t you already recover from CV19? Hope your wife is ok too. I have a friend who’s lost 60+ pounds this past year and signed up for the Wine&Dine- she figures it’s good motivation for fitness journey. I really hope that still goes as planned- I’m very proud of her for doing this.
We are tentatively planning on August the week before move in at college. I’m like you though- if it’s so limited as to not be fun (and that includes mask wearing) I’d rather rent a condo at the beach and just hang out. We are supposed to be staying at Contemporary- first time and I am looking forward to it. I just don’t see how resorts are going to be able to open and pools stay closed in summer heat.

I wish everyone would just spare the righteous “just stay home” lectures. By now everyone “knows” the risk -“knows” because things change with time and more studies/information. I’m waiting to hear back from a couple studies I volunteered to see if I have antibodies- have gotten through a couple questionnaires and waiting to hear if I qualify.

NoBreyner60

For my own part I don't like speculating as to when the parks are going to reopen as over the past six weeks it's all been wrong even what I thought made sense. From the way things look as far as reopening (whatever the date) Florida might be into phase 2 or 3 by the time Disney pulls the trigger in Florida. By that time social distancing will still be a thing, but less so. Maybe masks would be an option rather than mandatory. Who knows? Phase 2 in Florida according to a Tampa news site says they'll have to study the numbers in two to three weeks to see where the number of infections are going. It is possible to be in Phase 2 before the end of May putting Disney World in what could be a more relaxed reopening.

Club Cooloholic

It's interesting, a lot of the big hotel chains aren't saying much about what will be specifically open, but a small place I like in Sedona was pretty specific how they are setting up as well as some some National Park lodgings. The Sedona resort is set up motel style so they will have everyone check in curbside then drive right to their room. You will be required to have a temp check at that check in and if you fail, they will arrange a doctor's visit(let's just call it a COVID test) and they would go from their(maybe a quarantine in the room).
The restaurant is closed but the pool will be open, you are required to be in good health and shower before using (which should really be a requirement anyway like Europe). For Grand Teton, none of the boating facilities or equestrian will be open in the summer. The lodges will be closed ALL summer with only campgrounds and cabins open(seeing a trend here?).
Some of these things like temp checks ect are easy for a place with a few dozen rooms. Motel style where everyone has an individual outside door helps too. I would bet the Duluxes will the the last resorts to open at WDW given that with the Campground being the first.

durangojim

Original Poster
This is the reason I’m thinking of a long weekend trip! Cheap airfare, plus my kid who’s going to UCF birthday is in October.
@durangojim didn’t you already recover from CV19? Hope your wife is ok too. I have a friend who’s lost 60+ pounds this past year and signed up for the Wine&Dine- she figures it’s good motivation for fitness journey. I really hope that still goes as planned- I’m very proud of her for doing this.
We are tentatively planning on August the week before move in at college. I’m like you though- if it’s so limited as to not be fun (and that includes mask wearing) I’d rather rent a condo at the beach and just hang out. We are supposed to be staying at Contemporary- first time and I am looking forward to it. I just don’t see how resorts are going to be able to open and pools stay closed in summer heat.

I wish everyone would just spare the righteous “just stay home” lectures. By now everyone “knows” the risk -“knows” because things change with time and more studies/information. I’m waiting to hear back from a couple studies I volunteered to see if I have antibodies- have gotten through a couple questionnaires and waiting to hear if I qualify.
Yes! Thank you for asking! My whole family is doing well. The problem is, that as of right know we don't know if we have immunity or not, and the studies aren't out there yet to confirm that. Additionally there's a new COVID related illness that causes severe inflammation and death in some kids, so that's a new issue which I'm watching closely. My hope is that prior to July there are reliable antibody tests and studies that show we all have some immunity. Fortunately we closed all our offices on March 16th and none of our staff have gotten sick, and only one doc did beside me who has since recovered. We changed our medical practices to telemedicine and as such did not have to furlough or let anyone go which is wonderful. I think many of my patients actually prefer a virtual visit to coming to the office so we'll keep that option going forward. I've used the time to work on getting back in shape and spending the time with my family. I'm viewing the pandemic as an opportunity to make some good changes in life and business.

MJJME

We had April trip cancelled and rescheduled for August but are going to cancel...…….No shows, fireworks, characters plus other restrictions like wearing masks are just not worth it. Rides with 3D glasses are not likely to open (FOP, Philharmagic, etc) since sharing them are worse than walking around without a mask...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom