What will replace Rock 'N' Roller Coaster + "Magical Mystery Tour Coaster" Idea

Mander

In the Parks
No
I could think of nothing worse than the Beatles, they are not popular with young kids and teens, where as Aerosmith is , my 18 year old and her friends like Aerosmith and think the beatles are basically boring old people.

That's just anecdotal evidence though. My sister is the same age and loves the Beatles (as do some of her friends).

In reality though, I bet we see something Marvel themed but not for quite a while.

CaptainAmerica

You want rethemes instead of additions?
Not rethemes per se, but upgrades. Things like Test Track.

Yes, all things being equal I'd prefer additions. But presumably we could get multiple upgrades for the same cost as one addition. So it's a "bang for your capital buck" situation.

And there’s plenty to do?
I'm always super busy for 8 nights and I never make it to the water parks or minigolf or anything other than the four parks and sometimes Disney Springs.

What about crowd volume?
Raise prices.

celluloid

Spinal Tap. Since it has a send up characterized look at Hollywood and Studio Recording/record labels I would love for a Spinal Tap retheme would put less of a stamp on it as even if you do not know the band, it would still be fun.(which is why the ride has yet to change, well that and they could not afford to close any other major attractions as everything else)

Yes, I know it won't happen, but I wish that would have been the theme all along.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not rethemes per se, but upgrades. Things like Test Track.

Yes, all things being equal I'd prefer additions. But presumably we could get multiple upgrades for the same cost as one addition. So it's a "bang for your capital buck" situation.

I'm always super busy for 8 nights and I never make it to the water parks or minigolf or anything other than the four parks and sometimes Disney Springs.

Raise prices.

“Cheaper” rethemes tend to be the ones we hate...complete guts and new concepts can be put on the pad next to the old ride and you double your pleasure.

That “raise price” thing is a hoax...you do realize that? You’re a Bright boy.

Dreaming of Disney World

Raising prices would make the parks even less accessible to lower income people. My family struggled enough to afford our last trip as it is. Raising prices isn't the answer. And I like RNRC just how it is, though a change in theme wouldn't bother me as long as the physical coaster stays the same, It's one of my favorite coasters in the world (along with Superman at Six Flags New England) due to that awesome fast beginning.

Brer Oswald

Why waste money retheming the most popular ride in the park? It’s liter Disney’s only “adult” ride, and I think the Aerosmith music is part of the reason why. It adds a lot to a simple inversion coaster. Heck, I didn’t care for Aerosmith or any band for that matter prior to riding this ride. Now I love the band! It makes the whole ride what it is. Could they change it and still have a good ride? Of course. But why waste money right now?

Well my vote for some imaginary overlay would be for the near impossible...Roger Rabbit! I think on sunset boulevard it would be a rad blend (a la Who framed Roger - Roller Coaster Rabbit short) for Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

CE02C052-DD83-412F-AA1C-F5FE2E62D2FD.jpeg

But 1) this just won’t happen and 2) I agree with others that a more pressing need would be to continue expanding other areas of DHS (even with TSL and Galaxy’s Edge) because they need more lands and rides in DHS to thin the ever-growing crowds.

My question is could anyone explain WHY Aerosmith was used for this ride’s theme? I’m not opposed to it I’m just curious about the history. How did this get pitched? Were different bands proposed for the ride and Aerosmith happened to win out or was it going to be Aerosmith all along? What was the pushback like at the time? Etc. Anyone? Maybe there’s some thread I can’t find.

Last edited:

slappy magoo

Not to poop on your platter, but I think a better way to go would be to lean into comedy so the pre-show (post-shocker) is more intentionally enjoyable. Start with reasonably funny actors posing as The Most Important Band of All Time, recording a new track but they're on various video displays in the recording studios, working remotely, because they can't stand to be in the same room with each other. Guys like Paul Rudd, Jack Black, Zach Galifianakis...they're on the verge of breaking up, the recording engineer leaves to have a nervous breakdown. Young PAs and interns in the studio who have their own band talk them off the ledge, and keep them together. As a thank-you, these young guys get to go to their special Farewell-Concert-turned-We're-Back concert...but all the time they spent fighting means they have to haul butt to the stadium.

TwilightZone

My question is could anyone explain WHY Aerosmith was used for this ride’s theme? I’m not opposed to it I’m just curious about the history. How did this get pitched? Were different bands proposed for the ride and Aerosmith happened to win out or was it going to be Aerosmith all along? What was the pushback like at the time? Etc. Anyone? Maybe there’s some thread I can’t find.
I remember there was an article somewhere that said what bands disney was planning for the attraction were, but I forgot who and I don't know how legit the claims were.
Disney was planning a rock n rollercoaster starring no doubt for disney's california adventure, but that was cancelled. There's theories/rumors that the idea was briefly revived for the red hot chili peppers, but that too was cancelled, but not before they could secure the rights to two of their songs, thus bringing us rockin space mountain and rockin california screamin'.

drod1985

While I appreciate the enthusiasm behind your pitch its essentially just replacing Aerosmith with The Beatles. And while The Beatles will obviously have a larger impact on history as a whole, its just not quite as exciting as a big flashy rock 'n roll band.

How about leaving it alone and focusing on parts of the park that need attention? RnR is extremely popular as is and it just works. A cheap and rushed overlay wouldn’t draw more people.

This is the truth. The general public isn't tired of RnRC, it still draws great crowds and its still a very fun ride. Luckily it doesn't feel dated at all, and it fits the Sunset Blvd. theming. However, if RnRC absolutely must need re-theming...

there's no doubt in my mind the new RnR Coaster would carry a Marvel theme.

Then it'll give $hapek something to fall on for changing the WDW ToT. "Great news, since the new Iron Man coaster is doing so well, we thought we would change Sunset Blvd to Marvel Land and ToT to Avengers"

Then I could see this being the route they go, though legalities with Universal may prevent it from happening for years. I'm hoping if Disney buys Fox then they can use some IPs they aren't fond of to barter with Universal for things like theme park rights or Hulk film distribution rights.

Incomudro

A couple of thoughts:
The Beatles don't fit the intensity of the coaster, unless the only song it plays is Helter Skelter.
They are not going to replace one old band - Aerosmith - with another, older band that fits the coaster less.
Plus, Aerosmith still tour, and are still huge around the world, and people come to WDW from around the world.
Steven Tyler is a household name.
Having said that...
Yes, the Aerosmith theme will go one day.
When it does, I'd be willing to bet it becomes something from Marvel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom