What will Disney’s response be to Universals 4th gate?

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
"MORE MARVEL! I REPEAT, WE NEED MORE MARVEL! PUSH FROZEN 2 MERCHANDISE! DO NOT LET ANYONE FORGET ABOUT STAR WARS! OH AND RAISE THE PRICES SOME MORE BECAUSE IT'LL MAKE US LOOK LIKE A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE. DO IT NOW AND I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANY PUSHBACK!"

-Disney Execs, probably

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
"MORE MARVEL! I REPEAT, WE NEED MORE MARVEL! PUSH FROZEN 2 MERCHANDISE! DO NOT LET ANYONE FORGET ABOUT STAR WARS! OH AND RAISE THE PRICES SOME MORE BECAUSE IT'LL MAKE US LOOK LIKE A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE. DO IT NOW AND I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANY PUSHBACK!"

-Disney Execs, probably

WHILE WE'RE YELLING, WHAT OTHER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY CAN WE PURCHASE AND DESTROY THROUGH NON-STOP MARKETING EFFORTS AND DIVERGENCE FROM CANON? :joyfull:

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
WHILE WE'RE YELLING, WHAT OTHER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY CAN WE PURCHASE AND DESTROY THROUGH NON-STOP MARKETING EFFORTS AND DIVERGENCE FROM CANON? :joyfull:
STAR TREK. OR, BETTER YET, JUST BUY VIACOM/CBS ALREADY!

WELL SINCE DISNEY NOW OWNS PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING I SAY WE CONVERT HAUNTED MANSION TO BABY GROOT'S HOUSE OF FUN, SPACE MOUNTAIN TO IRON MAN, AND TIKI ROOM TO ELSA'S ROOM!

Kingtut

I know that Bob Chapek isn't the most popular, but who in his position have been popular. You guys hate whomever is working to balance creative with the realities of stock holders demands. He is currently the figure head in the massive alteration and updating of WDW. Not a small task or a small budget endeavor. Someone's got to be the scapegoat for fans frustration of them not always thinking the same way we do, but seriously, and I mean seriously do any of us think we could do a better job? If so why haven't we sent a resume to get those available high paying, high pressure jobs.
I have a strong feeling that at this particular point in time Chapek doesn't spend any more time thinking about WDW than it takes to butter his morning toast. Today's 3 priorities are 1. streaming , 2 streaming , 3. streaming. That's where the real money will be made if they pull it off successfully. Almost any of the tech giants and several oversea's corporations could make a legitimate bid to buy Disney if they wanted to. ( 250 Billion valuation isn't what it used to be - I think Apple has that much cash on hand). The Wall Street masters don't really care how much money you make today - they care how much you will make tomorrow. Everything is about growth. Building new parks will get you some growth in the future but building the largest streaming platform will increase your stock price by a much larger amount.

To counter my argument I am not sure why Comcast is pouring money into Orlando unless it is to stick it to Disney. Comcast did try to buy them before and may have some other reason to go the way they are. They battled over the FOX purchase and probably are not too friendly when it comes time to pay for ESPN carriage.

Kingtut

I wonder, when they were in the planning stages for Universal Orlando in the 80s, was there a piece of property available that was large enough for significant future expansion, similar to WDW? I know that Orlando in the 60s, when Disney purchased the land, was smaller than it was 20 years later when Uni was built, so maybe a larger property wasn’t available by then? Maybe Universal didn’t have the $$ to purchase a large piece of property at that time, or didn’t want to go too far outside of the main tourist center of Orlando/Kissimmee?
If I remember correctly - the land Universal just bought was land they owned back in the day and then when they got sold to GE ( who never had any idea what to do with the parks) and then to Vivaldi ( I think - but some European company) where the land was sold as part of the typical asset liquidation to reduce the costs of the thing you just purchased. So in a sense they have just come back to where they wanted to be.

Goofyernmost

I have a strong feeling that at this particular point in time Chapek doesn't spend any more time thinking about WDW than it takes to butter his morning toast. Today's 3 priorities are 1. streaming , 2 streaming , 3. streaming. That's where the real money will be made if they pull it off successfully. Almost any of the tech giants and several oversea's corporations could make a legitimate bid to buy Disney if they wanted to. ( 250 Billion valuation isn't what it used to be - I think Apple has that much cash on hand). The Wall Street masters don't really care how much money you make today - they care how much you will make tomorrow. Everything is about growth. Building new parks will get you some growth in the future but building the largest streaming platform will increase your stock price by a much larger amount.

To counter my argument I am not sure why Comcast is pouring money into Orlando unless it is to stick it to Disney. Comcast did try to buy them before and may have some other reason to go the way they are. They battled over the FOX purchase and probably are not too friendly when it comes time to pay for ESPN carriage.
Revenge spending usually doesn't turn out to be as satisfactory as intended. However, if that is what they are doing, then they will deserve whatever the results are. Still doesn't mean that Disney needs to react to it.

KBLovedDisney

Disney's response? It will be the:
images

*insert evil laugh here

JustAFan

OP didn't mention anything about Disney opening a new park. Some responses seem to think Disney either should open another park or will do nothing. Disney isn't doing nothing. They have ongoing construction and master plans. They are investing tons of money and effort into their theme parks. I'm sure some of that is in response to competition. I imagine some of it is also an effort to increase attendance and revenue.

bstiles

Original Poster
OP didn't mention anything about Disney opening a new park. Some responses seem to think Disney either should open another park or will do nothing. Disney isn't doing nothing. They have ongoing construction and master plans. They are investing tons of money and effort into their theme parks. I'm sure some of that is in response to competition. I imagine some of it is also an effort to increase attendance and revenue.
I do believe that Disney will take a wait and see approach. That seems to be their business model along with most publicly traded companies. If Universal does happen to move the needle by taking guests away from Disney that is when I think Disney will respond. The problem is it will already be too late as everyone has seen over the past 20 years when Disney says they are going to build a new attraction it usually takes 5 years so they can spread the capital out.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Disagree tremendously. I think the Star Wars hotel is going to flop. Normal adults don't want to LARP around a pretend spaceship for 3 days. The amount of people this thing is going to appeal to will be shockingly low. In the early days it may seem like a hit, but the target audience is quickly going to become exhausted and a couple things are likely to happen.

1. Discounts.
2. Shuttered.

Even if it does fail, I think there are other options for high-priced boutique experiences that don't involve role playing.

bUU

To counter my argument I am not sure why Comcast is pouring money into Orlando unless it is to stick it to Disney.
New Fantasyland, Pandora, Toy Story Land, Galaxy's Edge, EPCOT transformation (including lots of things they haven't shared with us yet); TRON coaster, Guardians and Ratatouille rides, Mickey's and Minnie's... Universal had a long way to go to catch up. With all these, they'll have further to go.

bUU

I know how difficult the job would be. You're not necessarily failing to meet your obligations with a change of direction either.
Not necessarily, but you left your comment open-ended, and nothing you've posted previously indicated that you would ever care to put the priorities of the owners over that of you, personally, as a guest. Beyond that, the reality is that despite your bravado in claiming otherwise, he actually knows how to run the company far better than you do. He's actually done it, and in doing it all indicators that matter have been and continue to ratify his decisions. I'm safe with my reply on that count as well.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Not necessarily, but you left your comment open-ended, and nothing you've posted previously indicated that you would ever care to put the priorities of the owners over that of you, personally, as a guest. Beyond that, the reality is that despite your bravado in claiming otherwise, he actually knows how to run the company far better than you do. He's actually done it, and in doing it all indicators that matter have been and continue to ratify his decisions. I'm safe with my reply on that count as well.

I left it open-ended intentionally. WDYM my own priorities? Rush to judgement much? He may have run it longer, but that doesn't mean he's run it better or that it could have been run better. That's just nonsense.

PixarPerfect

It seems logical that expanding the current parks is fiscally wiser than opening a 5th. Basic infrastructure like security points, fencing, parking lots, cleaning crews, etc. will drive overhead costs and necessities like bathrooms and restaurants will all have to be replicated en masse in a new park. It would be less expensive to add-on a few restaurants and bathrooms via current park expansions.

I can imagine that the long-term cost projections of expansion and possibly increasing prices to thin out the parks a little are far prettier than starting from scratch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom