What was the Cinderella Statue initially intended for?

MK-fan

Original Poster
The Cinderella statue in the castle courtyard was created in 1965 and was sculpted by Blaine Gibson meaning it was created a full six years before it was a place in the Magic Kingdom. I know that Walt Disney World was announced in 1965, but was this always intended for the magic kingdom park?

DisneyFanatic12

The Cinderella statue in the castle courtyard was created in 1965 and was sculpted by Blaine Gibson meaning it was created a full six years before it was a place in the Magic Kingdom. I know that Walt Disney World was announced in 1965, but was this always intended for the magic kingdom park?
I’m sure it was intended for that spot and they built it early to use in promotional footage… but I have no idea!

The Partners statue is also extremely interesting. It seems like a classic but was only installed in 1995 (at Disney World at least… it was installed on Mickey’s 65th birthday in 1993 at Disneyland)… that always amazes me.

Cmdr_Crimson

The Partners statue is also extremely interesting. It seems like a classic but was only installed in 1995 (at Disney World at least… it was installed on Mickey’s 65th birthday in 1993 at Disneyland)… that always amazes me.
Wasn't the statue of Roy & Minnie brought out about the same time?

JIMINYCR

Blaine Gibson... what a talent!!! I always visit both the statue and the wishing well on my trips. Whenever Ive mentioned them to people they are surprised they exist because the statue is tucked in that side corner and the well is on the side path and many dont know about them. Many of these details and others have been placed around and guests walk past unaware of them.

Figments Friend

As some may already know, but for those that do not…..

The Cinderella statue above that small fountain features an ornate painted design on the alcove directly behind it.
The design features swirling patterns, leaf shapes, and a crown.

When you view the statue from a certain angle, the crown in the painted background design appears to now be on her head, foreshadowing the future princess this scullery maid will soon become.

Always liked that little touch, and it is a ‘old school’ hidden WED design element.
Little surprises waiting for those who discover it.
Long before the recent fad of ‘hidden Mickeys’….

Check it out the next time you are in the Park and in that area!
🙂

-

MK-fan

Original Poster
I’m sure it was intended for that spot and they built it early to use in promotional footage… but I have no idea!

Yea and the reason they put the statue there was to stop management from putting random things in that space and obstructing the view of the castle. Examples being a giant jukebox and the motorcycle ball of death for the various promotions in the late 80’s.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom