What was the Buzz Lightyear ride before it was the Buzz Lightyear ride?

natalia1681

Original Poster
What was the Buzz Lightyear ride before it was the Buzz Lightyear ride? I have heard the talk about the same tracks used from the previous ride, but for the life of me, I can't think of what that ride was.

So
1. What was the ride before?
2. Does anyone have any pics of it?

I'm trying to remember this ride, and simply can't.

P.S. On a side note, I booked my October trip. I'm staying at the Pop Century and participating in the dining package! Whoo hoo!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited!

48 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Tigger1988

hehe remember the search feature is your friend :wave:

If you had wings
If you could fly
Delta Dreamflight
Take flight

So, what attraction used to be where Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin is now located?

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In June 1972 the ride opened as the Eastern Airlines sponsored "If You Had Wings." This was a slow-moving dark ride exploring the joys and wonders of travel. Guests continued to enjoy it until June 1987 when Disney and Eastern parted company.

After Eastern ended its sponsorship, the ride went down for a couple of weeks and re-opened later in June 1987 with minor changes as "If You Could Fly."

Closing again in January 1989, it underwent a complete refurbishment and show change. It re-emerged in June 1989 as "Dreamflight" sponsored by Delta Airlines. It was still a slow-moving dark ride with a travel theme, but with a whole new show.

In 1996, Delta dropped its sponsorship and the ride was re-named "Take Flight," although almost nothing was changed other than the removal of Delta's logos from the building.

"Take Flight" closed for good in January 1998, with its new replacement, Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, opening in October of that year. The Buzz ride still uses the original "Wings" ride track and the same Omni-Mover cars with a few modifications, believe it or not!

[/font]​

New2WDW

Great info!

I always have trouble finding stuff I am seeking on the search! Just my problem I guess! It seems easier to get the answer Now!:hammer:

goofyvickie

natalia1681 said:
What was the Buzz Lightyear ride before it was the Buzz Lightyear ride? I have heard the talk about the same tracks used from the previous ride, but for the life of me, I can't think of what that ride was.

So
1. What was the ride before?
2. Does anyone have any pics of it?

I'm trying to remember this ride, and simply can't.

P.S. On a side note, I booked my October trip. I'm staying at the Pop Century and participating in the dining package! Whoo hoo!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited!

48 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

And before it was Delta....Eastern Airlines was the sponsor. A free ride in the era of A-E tickets. Great cold air conditioning.

goofyvickie

Prior to delta...buzz

And before it was Delta....Eastern Airlines was the sponsor. A free ride in the era of A-E tickets. Great cold air conditioning.

goofyfan13

I loved Delta Dreamflight! I don't remember the rides before that, but that's when my passion for flying first became realized. So since then I had an overwhelming passion for that ride. Thinking of the song still gives me shivers. I liked it much better than Buzz. But that's just my opinion. :wave:

Tigger1988

goofyfan13 said:
I loved Delta Dreamflight! I don't remember the rides before that, but that's when my passion for flying first became realized. So since then I had an overwhelming passion for that ride. Thinking of the song still gives me shivers. I liked it much better than Buzz. But that's just my opinion. :wave:

I LOVED Dreamflight as a kid...and when I heard they were taking it out I was so upset...still haven't gotten over it actually :lol:

goofyfan13

Tigger1988 said:
I LOVED Dreamflight as a kid...and when I heard they were taking it out I was so upset...still haven't gotten over it actually :lol:

I hear ya, that was one of the rides I absolutely HAD to do when we went to MK. :lol:

Tigger1988

natalia1681 said:
Okay, I feel so bummed that I can't remember that ride.

P.S. I am search feature challenged :cry::eek::veryconfu

Haha its ok...I was just letting you know its a good feature, some people get overly touchy when people don't use it..I wanted to warn you :wave:

jpc97a

Back in the day when "If You Had Wings" was free, I was just a preschooler and my father worked for an airline (not Eastern). A few Saturdays every year, the two of us would fly down for a "day trip" from PA, catch a bus from the airport, ride "wings" and the peoplemover - which I believe was also one of the free ones. Around 3:00, just when I'd be begging to ride something else, he'd tell me we had to go or we'd miss the plane.

My dad doesn't part with his cash very easily. He's always looking for deals and anything he can get for free. For him this was cheap entertainment. While at the time I hated the fact that I couldn't ride more, my memories of these "day trips" and "wings" are now cherished memories.

Luckily, once tickets went away and my siblings and I grew a little older, we finally did have plenty of chances to ride all those things that we had to skip when I was younger because "we'd miss the plane".

SheenaXena

I remember the Dream Flight ride. I was like 5 or 7, and then it was Buzz the last time I went. I can't really remember what DF was like, but I really like Buzz.

noname70

"You do have wings...." Wow. My first trip to WDW in 1977. It was free so my cousin and I rode endlessly-pretending that we were pilots. We rode on Eastern to Orlando from NY and got little wings pins-how cool. This was an era when people dressed up for flights so my mom made me wear my "liesure suit"on the plane-I thought it was cheasy then too. :hurl:

LaughingGravy

jpc97a said:
Back in the day when "If You Had Wings" was free, I was just a preschooler and my father worked for an airline (not Eastern). A few Saturdays every year, the two of us would fly down for a "day trip" from PA, catch a bus from the airport, ride "wings" and the peoplemover - which I believe was also one of the free ones. Around 3:00, just when I'd be begging to ride something else, he'd tell me we had to go or we'd miss the plane.

That is just great! Reading that made me smile big time. Thank You.
Truly the magic of the WDW resort was a big factor in inspiring your dad to make those trips, out of all the other places to go on the cheap.

maxime29

Premium Member
Dreamflight was a good ride in general not just for getting out of the heat or rain. I loved the queue where you entered the plane from the terminal. The queue music was catchy too. The popup book at the end I still wish they kept somehow. The images of the Delta planes in the sky we would always joke around that we were in the plane.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
yep, ive had the theme song "If you had wings...... you could do anything... etc etc" for 20 years now. it was a good one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom