What Was So Bad About Tiki Room "Under New Management"?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Lol, is this supposed to be a serious counter argument?
Yes. Everyone has their own opinion on it, and nobody is right or wrong about it. Some people think it was an original and shouldn't be touched. Others think it was a good idea to add the characters. No one is wrong or right. Just because someone thinks the new characters didn't fit, does not make them right. WeI've seen all the different versions, and we have enjoyed all of them.

Asking people here what was so bad about it will bring nothing but differing opinions. And NO ONE has any idea if Walt would ever have changed it, so saying he wouldn't is just plain stupid. Heck, if he didn't like it after 10 years, he might have ripped it out completely.

Animaniac93-98

Yes. Everyone has their own opinion on it, and nobody is right or wrong about it. Some people think it was an original and shouldn't be touched. Others think it was a good idea to add the characters. No one is wrong or right. Just because someone thinks the new characters didn't fit, does not make them right. WeI've seen all the different versions, and we have enjoyed all of them.

So why was UNM never installed at the other two versions of the Tiki Room? Why wasn't it brought back after the fire?

Decision making involves weighing and chosing options. Creativity and real life are not kindergarten. Ultimately, a team will pick a "right" decision in order to actually move forward with a project.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
So why was UNM never installed at the other two versions of the Tiki Room? Why wasn't it brought back after the fire?

Decision making involves weighing and chosing options. Creativity and real life are not kindergarten. Ultimately, a team will pick a "right" decision in order to actually move forward with a project.
Who knows why not??? No one here does, and at this point, it doesn't matter. If it was so awesome, why did they spend money to change it? And why did WDW get a shorter version than DL after the fire? Probably to get just a few more shows in per day so that more can experience it.

Obviously at the time, management thought that adding the characters would allow more people to relate to the attraction. After the fire, different management thought that those characters had run their course, and they switched back to the more original (but still different) show. Again, no right or wrong to 99.99999999999% of the people. You didn't like it. I thought it was just fine.

Now if you want to talk about a travesty, then start a thread about the gutting of JIYI. :D

FigmentForver96

Majority rules. If the new version had been pulling in people the way they wanted then they would have been more then happy to bring it back. The would not have changed it back if they knew the older version was less popular. I am sure there is so data somewhere that shows the hourly visits to the attraction and something made them change it back after the fire.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Majority rules. If the new version had been pulling in people the way they wanted then they would have been more then happy to bring it back. The would not have changed it back if they knew the older version was less popular. I am sure there is so data somewhere that shows the hourly visits to the attraction and something made them change it back after the fire.
Using that logic, that means attendance at the original version was way down, so a change was needed. They know exactly how many people visit each attraction every day.

That's also why we have Nemo in the Seas building. Attendance was way down, and they thought adding those characters would build attendance back up. It did. But not everyone likes it.

FoozieBear

Original Poster

I'm guessing it wasn't pulling in such big numbers anyway, so they figured it's probably best to go back to the version beloved by fans once they're reopening it.

I never knew there was a fire at the attraction which caused it to be rethemed. It sounds like a godsend from the spirit of Walt.

FigmentForver96

Using that logic, that means attendance at the original version was way down, so a change was needed. They know exactly how many people visit each attraction every day.

That's also why we have Nemo in the Seas building. Attendance was way down, and they thought adding those characters would build attendance back up. It did. But not everyone likes it.
I don't have a doubt in my mind that the original had low attendance. I dont have data or anything but the show was never just this huge crowd puller. After the fire they probably found it cheaper to just bring back the original OR they figured since Disney lovers just guzzle nostalgia, they could bring the original back.

The Seas is a whole other issue. The cabs were outdated, but the whole IP thing in Epcot is just another can of worms im not opening in this thread.

Cmdr_Crimson

Iago and Zazu broke that. They come in, don't fit (cartoon birds vs real birds) and are fairly obnoxious.
Same thing goes for putting Characters from a Movie and Ruining it with the Marc Davis Designed Pirates....
POTC071.jpg~original

It'd be like trying to plus Space Mountain with Buzz Lightyear. He doesn't fit. Everything about Space Mountain is: This is a "real" space station and you're about to take off on a rocket into outer space! .. and here's Buzz Lightyear waving at you to send you off and maybe he'll sing a song or two.
Good thing they Didn't go the other direction and STITCH-afy Space Mountain...
tumblr_nfasasvTE91rxia72o1_1280.jpg
tumblr_mrfu50F0vA1sp8qqio3_1280.jpg

FigmentForver96

And see that's an opinion. We have no problem with the updates to POTC. To us, the additions don't take away from the attraction. Apparently it does to you. No one is right or wrong on that.
Well there is no arguing that the new AA's look off from the originals and it is a glaring flaw. I've had friends who have never been before point it out.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Well there is no arguing that the new AA's look off from the originals and it is a glaring flaw. I've had friends who have never been before point it out.
Hmm, never noticed that. Of course, the new ones would be the next generation of AA's, and probably look more life-like than the older ones.

Seabasealpha1

Um..I actually saw the "Under New Management" first...before I knew ANYTHING about the attraction's history, story...etc...

At face value given the above, I enjoyed it very much...I was absolutely wowed by the show (but how many animatronic shows had I seen before that? Zero.)

So...here's my take on what was good/bad.

Good:

The biggest one for me...was the audio, the synchronization...and the selection of tunes...my favorite number being "In the Still of the Night" performed by the tiki totems...it just was cool. The audio of the more "modern" tracks does sound better...but hey, the originals were recorded quite a few years prior...so...no surprise...and I don't hold that against the original.

The lighting was more vibrant and colorful in the "Under New Management" version.

Uh-Oha...pretty awesome animatronic...I was kinda hoping they could find some way to stitch her into the classic since there's no fountain in the center of the room like the true original at DL. That didn't come to pass...and that's okay...I understand the reasons against...and I respect the decision to try to "replicate" the original for historical value/nostalgia reasons...

BAD:

Too much Iago...not enough Zazu...
Smelled like 90's humor and Eisner-isms...
For all the coolness of Uh-Oha...the song she sang sounded like crap.
The involvement of the original characters and animatronics seemed very marginalized and thin...they kind of became throw-away background noise/visualizations for the Iago/Zazu debacle that took place each show...
It kinda always felt (looking back now) like it could've been done far better and maybe with a lot of tweaks and cuts/additions may have been alright...

But for what it is all worth...I do feel some there are issues with the "restored" version as well...for starters...it's not complete (of course neither is the actual DL attraction anymore...) and it's been chopped down even further than the one at DL. There's no fountain sequence as they added at DL...(and I don't understand the reasons for it...a water fountain in the center of a room should be a simple upgrade!) and the show lighting and colors do seem muted...after seeing the restored original, I did feel kinda let down...I felt like there was a need for something...I dunno what...but it definitely didn't have the luster I thought it would...and now that the soundtrack is quiter, the noises of the internal workings of the birds has become much louder/noticeable...and it annoys me to no end...in this day and age, they ought to be able to come up with quieter animatronic figures... while still honoring the original...

But, versus so many other jacked up/half a**ed attractions they've screwed up, this one is fine...and I do still enjoy it every time I visit...I appreciate it for what it is...and I guess I'm grateful it's still there at all...

...once in a while I do miss the Under New Management version too...

Seabasealpha1

I don't have a doubt in my mind that the original had low attendance. I dont have data or anything but the show was never just this huge crowd puller. After the fire they probably found it cheaper to just bring back the original OR they figured since Disney lovers just guzzle nostalgia, they could bring the original back.

The Seas is a whole other issue. The cabs were outdated, but the whole IP thing in Epcot is just another can of worms im not opening in this thread.
;)

bethymouse

I just remember my grandmother singing "Let's All Sing Like the Birdies Sing" to me.... it's not really nostalgia, it's sentimental. That's the way I feel about It's a Small World ( remembering my Dad singing the song to me and my children when they were 3).;) I just wish they could mix the old with the new somehow ( yes... Pirates did that) because I did like Uh-Oha ( scared the heck out of my boys when they were little). Glad she's at Trader Sam's Grotto.;) To each his own , I always say, but I'm glad it's back to the classic ( gotta keep some of Walt's favorites/classics, otherwise it's just not WALT Disney World.;) ( yes I know Disney.):cry:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

It was a badly realized attempt to add IP from Aladdin and The Lion King, Gilbert Godfrey screeching (as Iago) was just horrid. The original show was lighthearted and the updated show just not...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom