What was planned to go into Adventureland instead of PotC? Lee? Corrus?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Here is a question for someone who may know someone...

Its known that originally Pirates of the Caribbean was not planned for WDW - Western River Expedition was to replace it in Frontierland instead. Had WRE been built, what was planned for the space in the undeveloped corner of Adventureland?

I do know that the western most path through Caribbean Plaza was only built as part of PotC (previous to this, Adventureland dead ended just past the Enchanted Tiki Birds)

From the little research I`ve managed, I also know what ever was planned for this area stayed inside of the berm, had a building size roughly the same size and shape of the Caribbean Plaza / PotC load and unload building, and seems to have had a rockwork facade facing Adventureland. The question is, what was it?

napnet

I had read something like a PoTC but with a cowboy/indians theme. I think i saw that in the 25th Annv of WDW book... something about caribbean not being exotic enough for florida

jrriddle

marni1971 said:
Here is a question for someone who may know someone...

Its known that originally Pirates of the Caribbean was not planned for WDW - Western River Expedition was to replace it in Frontierland instead. Had WRE been built, what was planned for the space in the undeveloped corner of Adventureland?

I do know that the western most path through Caribbean Plaza was only built as part of PotC (previous to this, Adventureland dead ended just past the Enchanted Tiki Birds)

From the little research I`ve managed, I also know what ever was planned for this area stayed inside of the berm, had a building size roughly the same size and shape of the Caribbean Plaza / PotC load and unload building, and seems to have had a rockwork facade facing Adventureland. The question is, what was it?

Good Question!!!
I've never even thought about that.
I've always been so hung up on WRE, I've never thought about what would have gone into Adventureland.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
napnet said:
I had read something like a PoTC but with a cowboy/indians theme. I think i saw that in the 25th Annv of WDW book... something about caribbean not being exotic enough for florida

Yep - that was the WRE :)

Lee

Adventurer
Hmmm....seems like I heard at some point that there wasn't a specific attraction earmarked for that spot, just the plan to put something there eventually. Like a placeholder...
Where did you get your info about building size and facade?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
I`ve bee looking at a couple of masterplan models (note WRE also!) - these date back to 1969-71. For the uninitiated in the top image the building in question is the white one (with a stepped - jagged - wall down its easterly side) in the lower left quarter, in the bottom image it`s the one the person is working with on the left hand side.

Attachments

• PotC - instead of.jpg
    PotC - instead of.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 318

Lee

Adventurer
I have seen those pictures before and never paid any attention to that building. I have no idea what that is, unless it was just a place-holder building.
Maybe email Jim H. He's as likely as anyone to have at least an idea what it was.

I'd love some larger, clearer versions of those photos.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
peters right. Just to clear things up, PotC was never planned for Orlando. A western themed equivilant, the Western River Expedition was to be built instead, where Spalsh and Big Thunder Mountains are now. Had WRE been built, PotC wouldn`t have seen the light of day in Orlando. Due to guest complaints, PotC was redesigned, planned, rushed through and opened in less than 2 years - hence the poor version in WDW compared to Anaheim and Paris. Because of this, WRE was mothballed due to it being based on a ride that was now open in Orlando. Had WRE been built, and PotC not, its the land where PotC now sits I`m interested in.

Lee - thanks. I`ll give Jim an email. As much as he is knocked, I have found him knowledgable about past proposed attractions.

will_hsv

marni1971 said:
peters right. Just to clear things up, PotC was never planned for Orlando. A western themed equivilant, the Western River Expedition was to be built instead, where Spalsh and Big Thunder Mountains are now. Had WRE been built, PotC wouldn`t have seen the light of day in Orlando. Due to guest complaints, PotC was redesigned, planned, rushed through and opened in less than 2 years - hence the poor version in WDW compared to Anaheim and Paris. Because of this, WRE was mothballed due to it being based on a ride that was now open in Orlando. Had WRE been built, and PotC not, its the land where PotC now sits I`m interested in.

Lee - thanks. I`ll give Jim an email. As much as he is knocked, I have found him knowledgable about past proposed attractions.

If you find anything out, please let us know. I find this to be a very interesting topic.

imagineer boy

VERY good question. My guess is that it would've been a location for a couple shops or a resturant. Its possible that they could've put a Blue Bayou resturaunt similar to the one in DL ( but without the pirates boats floating by ). But it might've stayed empty for years, until maybe Disney might've built an Indiana Jones adventure or an excavator type of ride. Who knows. But those are just some thoughts.

hmm this is a really good question. What if it was meant for POTC all along? Like I mean even if Western River Expedition opened but people still wanted POTC?

DDPGambit

So if WRE would have gone where BTMR/SM are...where would BTMR have gone? Surely it was in the plans early enough on...maybe that would have gone where POTC is? Disney may have found it more appropriate to expand Frontierland and have less of an Adventureland in Florida.

CaliSurfer182

marni1971 said:
I`ve bee looking at a couple of masterplan models (note WRE also!) - these date back to 1969-71. For the uninitiated in the top image the building in question is the white one (with a stepped - jagged - wall down its easterly side) in the lower left quarter, in the bottom image it`s the one the person is working with on the left hand side.

I don't know how positive you are on those masterplan model dates, but in the article posted below it says PotC was approved in 1972 and was set to debut in 1973......and during this time WRE was still expected to be built. So is it possible that that building is in fact the PotC showbuilding and that it had just been added to the masterplan that WRE was still on? Making the pictures of the masterplans from 1972? Or is that to much of a stretch?

MainStreetJim said:

DDPGambit said:
So if WRE would have gone where BTMR/SM are...where would BTMR have gone? Surely it was in the plans early enough on...maybe that would have gone where POTC is? Disney may have found it more appropriate to expand Frontierland and have less of an Adventureland in Florida.

BTMR was supposed to be built in WRE. Yes you read that correctly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom