What to wear in December

:xmas: We are from NY going to WDW for the first time in Dec. What are good options to bring so I don't overpack as usual:eek: Especially footwear, is it still warm enough for sandals? It will be snowing at home. Thanks for your input!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
December is a grab bag when it comes to weather. It can be 80 or it can be 30. Statistically you will be looking at a range between mid 50's through mid 70's with a pretty minimal chance of rain.

Upvote 0

maggiegrace1

Usually it is chilly in the morning but warms up pretty nice during the day..and at night it can get really cool..sometimes cold..

I think during the day sandals would be good..but make sure you have something to change into for the evening..

We usually bring shorts and T shirts for the day with a light jacket or sweater and in the evening jeans ...we have even had to use heavier jackets at night.

I have worn flip flops during the day but always had to change for night.

Have a great time..:)

DIsney in December is the BEST!

Upvote 0

betteratmk

Original Poster
:xmas: We are really excited to go!! Taking our nephew for his first Disney trip!! DS should have an awesome time showing him around. It sounds like I need to take a little of everything this time :ROFLOL: Will probabaly still overpack!

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

Click on the Weather button at the top of this web site.
Then look at forecast and historical.
Review the forecast for the coming week just before you start packing.

Also, watch the weather channel and others for the Orlando area about a week before you go.
Will it be in the 70/80's or the 30/40's?
It's Florida but it's not totally predictable in December.

:xmas::xmas:

Upvote 0

H20Babie

I know "December" is a bit of spread, but is is typically warmer the first week as compared to later in the month, or is still a watch and wait?

Upvote 0
I've been twice in Dec twice and both times had great weather in the low 80's in the day 60's at night.Maybe I have just lucked out on weather? I would say check the week or so before and pack accordingly. It's all relative too keep in mind. I was born and raised in MA and our first Dec trip, we were walking around in shorts and t-shirts saying this is great weather and would say why are these crazy people wearing sweatshirts. Now we live in VA and I guess our blood has thinned since we don't deal with snow anymore, so we are the ones with sweatshirts:lol:

Upvote 0

diddy_mouse

We went in December for the first time last year and the weather was great! Low 80s with little humidity and cooler in the mornings as well as at night. I was just happy to be able to wear flip flops in December. :lol: But definitely pack a light sweatshirt just in case...after the sun goes down it could get chilly.

Upvote 0

Tiggerfanatic

We were there last year during the 3rd week of December. 1st couple of days were chilly even by northern standards, but the rest of the week it was warm enough for shorts during the day, and jeans were comfortable for evenings.

Pack your shorts, T-shirts and a couple pair of jeans, and buy your sweatshirt/jacket when you get there (you're going to being buying souveniers anyway, and no use packing something you won't wear while you're there because you'll want to wear the one that you bought!) Just allow some room in the suitcase to bring everything home!

Upvote 0

dove_

I'm from Michigan, so I know your dilemma! We're going the third week, and I figure we'll be all bundled up on the trip down (jeans, sweatshirt, jacket, mittens, etc, etc, etc, haha!), and that we'll bring shorts, light pants, a couple tshirts, and maybe a lighter sweatshirt, and just kind of dress in layers. We're camping at Ft Wilderness, so I figure we can just do laundry, saving us some clothes.

But I'm very interested in everyone else's comments.

Also, does it rain very often at all in December?

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm from Michigan, so I know your dilemma! We're going the third week, and I figure we'll be all bundled up on the trip down (jeans, sweatshirt, jacket, mittens, etc, etc, etc, haha!), and that we'll bring shorts, light pants, a couple tshirts, and maybe a lighter sweatshirt, and just kind of dress in layers. We're camping at Ft Wilderness, so I figure we can just do laundry, saving us some clothes.

But I'm very interested in everyone else's comments.

Also, does it rain very often at all in December?
No. Statistically it will rain about 5 times during December.

Upvote 0

lighteningqueen

We Dec 8-15th last year and it was beautiful every day. We alll worn shorts and sandels and flip flops. Brought tons of warm things and never put them on. We will bring one pair of pants and one long jacket and wash them everyday if need be just not going to bring 2 suitcases each this time.

Upvote 0

betteratmk

Original Poster
:xmas: I know it's a fashion faux pax but I was even looking on the web for crocs :lol: They are light and would pack easily! :eek: Then there is the problem whether to drive or fly. We have to go through the mountains in WV and I'm a little leary.

Upvote 0

Eyekimore

Good point! I'd be a little nervous, too. We drive down to WDW every year at Christmas. We've seen some dicey and icy situations on the road and that was on I-95! I can't imagine driving through the mountains......

Good luck!

Upvote 0

wendysmom

DD and I were down in December of '03...and had both freezing cold, and hot-lay-out-by-the-pool weather in the space of five days! (We're from Michigan, so really wanted the warm weather!) DD hadn't brought any warm stuff, i.e. hat or gloves...but all the stores had the black hats and one size fits all gloves out!:lol:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom