What to Carry in the Parks

momto3squirrels

Original Poster
I need advice on the best thing to carry in the park to hold small items like sunglasses, chapstick, sunscreen, etc. I'm wondering does a pack work best or a purse/backpack (not a true backpack) work best. Also, anyone with teens ages 13 to 15, what works best for them and has anyone had a problem allowing their teens to go to the parks on their own? Thanks for the input and I'm off in in 2 weeks and 5 days...woohoo!

hls1023

When we visit I usually carry a purse/backpack with just the essentials like a wallet and sunscreen. Its also good cause we'll throw the park maps in there when we get tired of carrying them around.

Yellow Shoes

Total pack devotee here.

Last time I bought a messenger bag type thing that had a zillion pockets and a pouch for the water bottle. It fit on one shoulder and across the chest.

By Day 2 my shoulder was sore. Fortunately I brought a pack also.

What I like about a pack is that the weight is evenly distributed around your waist and on the hip bones instead of on one shoulder (as it would be with your purse/backpack)

Also, since the pack is attached comfortably to your person, there is no temptation to take it off in a ride or restaurant, and you are far less likely to lose it. And because they're smaller, you're less tempted to carry everything you own.

Regular backpacks are HOT. That polyester/nylon fabric they're made from does not breathe, and you get sweat dripping down your back.

I would highly recommend pants with pockets--cargos if you've got them. You can cram an awful lot into those.

And use the lockers if you're taking something big. You'll need to check weather.com, but you might be taking jackets for evening--I understand that it gets chilly while waiting for Illuminations near the water.

Re Teens: I don't think I'd send them off alone, but that's just me. I like experiencing the parks with them. However--if everyone has cell phones or radios, so you can keep in contact, they should be OK.

DisneySam

I have one of those drawstring backpack purses I use. Its the best for me, I have found. It carries anything I need and is big enough to put some of my small purchases in and cups.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Cargo shorts or pants with a zippered or Velcro pocket. You can carry the items you mentioned and you will not need to go through security. If you use any type of bag (back pack, pack, purse etc) you will be required to go through the bag check.

Mystic

I carry a small travel bag that holds my sunglasses, bottle of water, wallet etc. You can either use the strap and carry it on your shoulder or carry it on your belt with the belt loops. I don't like using packs, I find they put way too much strain and pressure on my lower back.

wannabeBelle

pack devotee here!!! I only carry chapstick, a hair clip, my pass, ID and money in my pack. That is really all I need!!!! Belle

hcswingfield

Hip pack (aka pack) holds my digital camera and ziplock bags for when I go on water rides, pockets in my cargo shorts hold my bottle of water. Room key, passes, discount cards and ID are in my wallet.

Laura

I have 2 kids under age 5. I carry EVERYTHING! :lol:

I have a big bag for under the stroller with all the diapers, extra clothes, glow sticks, flashlights, toys, etc. Then we have a lunch box that also goes under the stroller for snacks and juice boxes. Then we have a mesh bag attached to the other stroller for the umbrella and ponchos. Then I have my camera bag with all my photography equipment that I wear. I will also have my pin lanyard. We have Pal Mickey padlocked to one of the strollers. And my husband will be carrying his new camcorder bag (which I bought him as a surprise and he doesn't know about it yet!!).

Think we got enough?

RealHawker

just bring a stroller, even if you dont have kids, there are plenty of easy safe places to park it. beats having a heating pad, I mean backpack on your back. And a back is taboo for me.

GoofyMom2

Another Pack devotee here! It carries my $$, ID, passes, sunglasses, camera, walkie talkie, water bottle, some snacks etc Love that thing! :sohappy:

But, also carry a small backpack for some extra socks for everyone, and a few other items for the kids. Plus, it's great to carry all those pin lanyards when the kids are tired of it, saves my neck and shoulders from that pin weight! DH and I take turns carrying this........

Rented a stroller last April and it was nice to put the backpack in..........

Pioneer Hall

I personally would prefer anything that I can carry on my back as opposed to something that I would carry on my waste. Try each one out and see what works best for you though.

madge

anyone had a problem allowing their teens to go to the parks on their own?

We let our 15-year old go off in the parks on his own, but only if we are in the same park at the same time. I'd rather us spend time together, but I have found that he's a MUCH happier camper if I allow him to go ride Space Mountain while we are riding Dumbo with his little sister :cool:

I have already laid down the law for this trip--he will be with us, more than he would probably like...I have very few pictures of him from our last trip, and I'm not going to make the same mistake twice!

col

momto3squirrels said:
I need advice on the best thing to carry in the park to hold small items like sunglasses, chapstick, sunscreen, etc. I'm wondering does a pack work best or a purse/backpack (not a true backpack) work best. Also, anyone with teens ages 13 to 15, what works best for them and has anyone had a problem allowing their teens to go to the parks on their own? Thanks for the input and I'm off in in 2 weeks and 5 days...woohoo!

i wear a pack; in it i have sunscreen,money,room key,sunglasses,photo id,park ticket,camera.

i have never had any trouble with going to the parks by myself. if they like to catch the sun a pack would be ideal so they can catch the sun on there shoulders. if they dont go for the pack thing a bag that goes over one shoulder (like a slant across the body) and rests on either hip is a good idea.
just some suggestions.

have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DisneyFreak529

Chris carrys the pack for the camra & ziplock bags for the camra durning water rides. I carry the camcorder case whitch isn't to heavey but a must for any trip. I have at least 12 hours worth of battery power on any given day. We used to carry a back pack but stopped. It just gets to be two heavey after a while.

PamelaNiebergal

Don't worry about being fashionable. A pack is definately the way to go. My husband also carries a very small back pack like the ones they sell in the parks for rain ponchos, water bottles and other large but light items that I can't cram in my pack. He's never had a problem with heat or the weight. Another option if you want to travel really light for an evening is buy a lanyard that can hold your park pass, resort key and fastpasses. You can charge purchases to your resort key so you don't have to carry cash, plus it's really handy having all your fastpasses in one convenient location where they won't get crunched or lost.

MinnieGal

I am trying a pack this upcoming trip. I have carried a purse/backpack before and it really ended up being an inconvenience, the straps began imbedding into my shoulders...:hammer: :wave:

shoppingnut

I like using my Holland America tote bag so that I have room for things I might need to buy or a light jacket depending upon the time of year. In that I have a small pack that I put my wallet and valuables in just because I don't like them roaming all over the bottom of the bag.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom