What to believe about the shape of Disney Port Orleans Riverside

talonstruck

I have been reading reviews of Port Orleans Riverside and frankly I am getting worried about making the right reservation for when we will be there in August. I am not finding very many positive reviews and the reason I booked this hotel was because in the past my family totally loved it. A lot of reviews are stating its rundown and the guest service is undisney like. Is this true or are people just using this as sounding board to gripe? Also which rooms will be shutdown for the refurb for the Royal Suites? Should I change my Reservations to a different resort?
Any Help will be appreciated!!

mousetime

We stayed at Easter, the room was nice (free up grade) water view, river and pool, right next to the bridge which lead you to the main pool. The only problem was the buses the wait was bad , and we been at Disney at Christmas thru New Years, but don't let the buses stop you, it's a nice place.Have fun.

Upvote 0

meganw1985

I'm hoping we have a good experience. We are booked for POR this coming December. It will be my husband's first trip to the World. The way we picked it was kind of out of narrowing down where I haven't stayed. My sister and I have done All-Stars, and my son and I have done Pop (which we wouldn't mind staying at but would be cramped with 3 adults and a 9 yo). Our budget at the time didn't really allow for a Deluxe (that may change and we MAY upgrade, who knows). My sister and I have stayed at Caribbean Beach and my son and I have stayed at Coronado Springs, so that leaves Riverside and French Quarter. I almost booked FQ, solely on the fact that it gets better reviews. But looking at pictures it didn't really appeal to me aesthetically. So I booked Riverside, and requested an Alligator Bayou room mainly for the extra trundle. I am almost regretting my decision to book here, from what some people have said. I am really, really, really wanting this to be a good experience for my husband, and I don't want this to ruin it!

Upvote 0

pixargal

This will be my first post. I usually just browse, but felt compelled to respond to your concern. My family, and friends that we travel with, love the Riverside. We have been staying there for almost 10 years. The last time we were there was April 2011. The staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome. In fact, during the hot afternoons they were offering lemonade to guests checking in at the lobby. I did not find the rooms to be run down at all. It is one of the best themed hotels at Disney and perfect for a 9 year old boy. It is decorated beautifully at Christmas time. We have also stayed at the other moderates, and they are not bad, but we find ourselves going back to the Riverside.

Upvote 0

stuart

We fly out this coming Friday to stay at Riverside for another two weeks and are already looking into prices for next year. As you can see from my signature we have been going every year in the last week of June / early July time and have never had any complaints or concerns about the resort.

Like all resorts you are going to get issues with the buses. When we are there for two weeks we might be unlucky twice at most if we have a bus that is over the '20 minutes' as advertised. As stated there are four bus stops at Riverside - one at the main entrance and three around the outside of the resort. Downtown Disney and Magic Kingdom buses serve the outer stops first then the one at the front door. The other park buses serve front door first and then go around the other three.

When coming home from Magic Kingdom at peak time, or EPCOT if they have split the service, you can always hop on a FQ bus and then walk or boat it up to Riverside. Did that a few times coming back from MK last July.

Walking. As someone said previously this is not a problem if you walk regularly. If you are used to coming out your front door, in the car, drive to parking space at work or shops and home and dont walk then you probably will moan that its 10 minutes to the main part of the hotel from the furthest away rooms. If you are used to walking you wont really notice it. Of course, during the day there will be much more walking in the parks being done.

The benefit of this of course is the fact that Riverside is probably the best landscaped Resort on property and we wouldn't stay anywhere else, even if we could afford the Grand Flo or similar.

Friends of ours who have stayed getting on for 10 times at Riverside text me the other day as they had been on Trip'Advisor' and read a review where the person was complaining about everything almost down to the blades of grass being a different height and they couldn't believe any one could moan at the trivial things they were considering our years of travelling there. We also met a woman last year who said how she had been on and said its soo far to walk anywhere, but again, if your not used to walking your gonna think its a problem in the same way those unaccustomed to public transport think that standing on a bus is a problem.

I wouldn't worry. Things have not got worse. We have seen refurbishments in various parts of the resort and improvements like having fridges in the room as standard, when at one point you had to pay for them. We have friends who like us have been coming from the mid-90s and met people last year who having been coming from the Dixie Landings days and again say they wouldn't stay anywhere else. I could not recommend the resort highly enough!

Upvote 0

cwolnowski

I have been going to Riveside with my family every year for about 15 years now (including the most recent trip this past April). It's our favorite resort and we wouldn't stay anywhere else (and we have sampled many Disney resorts in various price ranges). I haven't noticed anything that has changed negatively this past year and the only change I can recollect has been the reduced schedule of Sassagoula boats going to Downtown Disney, but that seems to be extremely minor.

I wouldn't worry at all about your trip - Riverside is as great as always and despite many rooms being transformed into "Royal Rooms", the first wave of over 500 has just opened, and it does not appear to be an inconvenience to things running normally.

Upvote 0

ewensell3

I have been reading reviews of Port Orleans Riverside and frankly I am getting worried about making the right reservation for when we will be there in August. I am not finding very many positive reviews and the reason I booked this hotel was because in the past my family totally loved it.

Was there last March. Was absolutely marvelous.

When we arrived we were given a room in Magnolia which had a very strong "dog" smell. Called the front desk and they moved us to another room in Oak. No problems from that point on.

The grounds were immaculate.
Got a couple towel animals. A bear and a puppy.
We did the fishing hole... tip: bring your own rod n reel if you have them.
We did the Surrey bikes. That was a workout. :)
Boat service to DtD was great.
Bus service to the parks was more than tolerable (as much as busses can be).

Can't go wrong with Riverside.

Upvote 0

BlackCauldron

I am coming back to this resort in mid-September and hoping to get a refurb room. Does anyone have any pictures of the new reno rooms? I have seen the link on PortOrleans.org to a couple of pics that someone snapped through a window, but they are dark and grainy.

Anyone who stayed in a new room have pics? I did a web search as well and it seems like no one has bothered to take pictures - which, given the fierce loyalty poeple have to this resort - is very odd. When the renno was going on over a French Quarter, pics were popping up left and right.

Upvote 0

acishere

I stayed there twice in the Bayou section and loved it. Unlike the mansions, the rooms actually feel themed. The grounds are great. Even after a day in the parks, we couldn't resist taking a walk and listening to the crickets and frogs. I liked the pool better than Caribbean Beach's (and they have a really nice pool too). However to spend the extra $ for a moderate I'd rather have an updated room so I might try Coronado next year, or just save the cash and stay at All Star in the surf section again.

Upvote 0

cslafferty

Stayed there in 2004 and loved it. Every review I've ever read seems to support that. We're going in Dec. And are staying at POFQ just to try something a little different, and because their refurb is complete and their rooms have queen beds instead of double. Since POR is in the middle of their refurb, try requesting one of the new rooms. It can't hurt to ask!

Upvote 0

Riversiders

This is an excellent location for us. the resort has always been well presented and provides a relaxing atmosphere we would not consider going anywhere else. the food court provides a great selection with good quality

Upvote 0

8laurach

We stayed Oct. 09-room was like a Hampton Inn with two double beds.

It was clean and I did like the two sinks though so that was a nice feature.

Next time I go I'm staying at French Quarter-A) First on bus loop drop off and pick up-eliminates possibly missing bus B) Queen size beds not double beds C)Price about the same and different Disney property for us

Upvote 0

WorldKey

Always our favorite Moderate....stayed last fall again and everything was fine. The grounds are beautiful, food great, entertainment, boats to DTD, and we really love the theming. A lot of people really like POFQ but I really like the 'old south' look and the lush grounds of POR.

Of course I think the original poster has completed the trip so we'd be interested to hear what he/she thinks!

Upvote 0

WorldKey

As someome who has always loved PORS I think it desperately needs a head to toe refurb. In march and the october before that the rooms were dated and dirty. The stain on the furniture was worn and beat up. The room always felt damp and musty. I am hoping the refurb restores the disney magic as it has a Coronado springs. Our last 2 stays there have been fantastic. The new beds and linens are deluxe quality and remind me of what the lowes hotels have done at universal. PORS needs new floor coverings including bathroom tile. Please return PORS back to the crown jewel of the mods.

You are just who I was looking for....wanted an opinion on CS from someone who stayed at, and likes POR. I want to try CS but we love POR a lot. Sounds like you would recommend CS?

Upvote 0

Stellajack

Premium Member
Love POR (our favorite)! We have stayed here on 7 occasions and have never found any room we stayed in to be in a "rundown" condition. We have always found the CMs to be courteous, professional and helpful.

We were curious about the Royal Guest rooms so we booked one for April 2012.

Now, I've done it..... talked myself into a state of depression because I have to wait until April.:(

Upvote 0

talonstruck

Original Poster
Always our favorite Moderate....stayed last fall again and everything was fine. The grounds are beautiful, food great, entertainment, boats to DTD, and we really love the theming. A lot of people really like POFQ but I really like the 'old south' look and the lush grounds of POR.

Of course I think the original poster has completed the trip so we'd be interested to hear what he/she thinks!

Ok For my review of the Riverside after our stay, I will give it a 9 1/2 stars out of 10. My wife loved it and so did the kids.
It's still a beautiful resort, very relaxing, feels very remote and unbusy.
The reason I gave it 9 1/2 stars are really for only 3 reasons.
1st reason. We did online check in. Walked up to the desk and it took for ever for the cast member to find our reservation. Even with my ID in her hand she couldnt comprehend our last name. I will admit there was language barrier, we had to ask her several times to repeat herself. That doesnt bother me, what bothered me is we had the dining plan, she handed us a sheet and goes here is your dining plan, if you dont have reservations already at place your gonna get stuck at the places people hate. We got a room in the Alligator Bayou #26. This one is kinda in the smack dab of the middle of couple of buildings. Close to a bus stop, not too far of a walk to the main building, but honestly hard to find when your tired from the parks. I remember check in being a little more personable, more explanitive on the cast member part, and since we wanted to upgrade to the water park and more on our park hoppers thought it would be easy to do. When I asked how much it would cost for each of us she looked at me blankly and then said "but you have park hoppers and we have a 2 pools here." I left it at that and ask for directions to the room.

Reason #2 Our second night there, while watching the weather, my wife screamed and jumped off the bed. Crawling up the wall was one huge Cockroach. I grabed a class scooped it up and threw it out the window. My wife in the meantime was on the phone to the front desk. They were literallythere in minutes to spray the room and very applogetic. Never saw another bug IN the room from that point on.

#3 While I volunteered a few times on the bus, the amount of people that got ousted from the bus or not allowed on the bus because of people with scooters was outlandish. Literally there was only one time when we went to the bus stop that people didnt get forced off the bus or have to wait to get on the bus becuase of the scooters. I didnt mind if the people were waiting before we were, but alot of the time they would roll up with 6 or 7 people in their party just as the bus pulled up and people that had been waiting for the bus for some time were not allowed on. This also happened on the boat to Downtown Disney. There has to be a better way for this.

Overall the experience was really pleasant. The movies at night are a great touch. I was impressed with how often the boat left for Downtown Disney at night. The buses where pretty much like they said about 15 to 20 minutes inbetween each other for destinations. The activities at the ol'man Island like the trivia and pool party were a nice touch. The food court was clean, friendly staff, that would make kids feel special when they found out it was their birthday. Very clean grounds. Very nice housekeeping. If you can afford it, I honestly think its a better value than the delux hotels on the monorail route. I once thought about getting off at the east depot to see what the new royal rooms would look like. I found it funny every bus stopped there but no one was ever at the depot, but you could see the workers, busy as bees working on the rooms. Besides our small problems and being annoyed with the scooter situation, It was a great place to stay.

Upvote 0

LJake

Was thinking about booking POR,now I think I will.
Is Alligator Bayou, the closest to everything?

i believe so, but honestly none of the buildings are really that far from the main building if you're fine with a little walking. plus they all have their own parking.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom