What to avoid/not worth the price?

ebjjst

My sister and I (both mid-50s) are going to Walt Disney World at the end of September, and are planning what activities, dinner shows, tours, etc., to spend our extra money on. (First trip to Disney; everything seems so expensive!) I'm sure everyone has suggestions on what to do, but does anyone have advice on what to avoid? Something that ended up not worth the money that was spent?

Eyorefan

My advise would be to write out a list of all the "extra" things you want to do and include the prices. Then I would cross out things that are out of your budget. Try to decide waht is a "must see" for you and the person you are traveling with.

Everyone has different likes/dislikes and different ways of touring the parks. So really you need to just think about what interests YOU. I took my mom to Cirque years ago and she HATED it. (Yeah, I know).

Also, remember that you can always go back.

Upvote 0

French Quarter

The only thing that we really felt was a total and utter waste of money was our lunch at Sci-Fi Dine-In. The cool atmosphere could never make up for the inedible food and horrible service. I know that there are a lot of people who like this restaurant and they will say that if you stick to the standard fare, it's great. Well, we took that advice and just ordered burgers, onion rings and milkshakes. We are also very easy to please in most respect and have liked everything else we've done in all of our trips at WDW. So, take that for what it's worth.

As far as park hopping, I think it really depends on the type of trip you are doing. If it is your first trip, I really don't think you need it. I think you'll have enough to take in that one park a day will be plenty. If you start getting into hopping at this point, you might feel overwhelmed. Now, once you get the lay of the land, you might want to consider making use of that feature on another trip.

Upvote 0

Funfy

My sister and I (both mid-50s) are going to Walt Disney World at the end of September, and are planning what activities, dinner shows, tours, etc., to spend our extra money on. (First trip to Disney; everything seems so expensive!) I'm sure everyone has suggestions on what to do, but does anyone have advice on what to avoid? Something that ended up not worth the money that was spent?

The Behind The Seeds Tour was really interesting and one of the least expensive tours. We really enjoyed it.:)

Upvote 0

KaliSplash

For a first trip to WDW, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on the 'extra' things. There will be more to see and do just in the parks than you will get to.
That said, I would definitely spend the money for park hoppers. Parks have different hours and you can move on to another park once one closes, in most cases.
I agree with most I would not get the water park/disney quest add-on. Again, the 4 main parks will provide you with plenty to do.
Hoop-de-do is the best of the 'extra' dinner shows.
For a September trip this might not be quite as important as at other times, but I seriously would plan on going back to the hotel for at least a couple of hours in the early afternoon to rest. You may feel you are not getting your money's worth doing this. But the break each day will help you avoid what I call the 'check-off' mentality. ((Only three more things to do in Fantasyland, then we can go to Tomorrowland.)) This is not the way you want to get through your vacation. This is why you seem some grumpy people in the parks at 4 p.m. They've been going non-stop since early morning and they feel like they have to cover everything to get their money's worth.
There is more to do here than you can see. Accept that.
Then set out to enjoy what you do have time to see.
This is a most amazing place. Yes, it is expensive. It is also wonderfully magical.
You are going to have a Great Time!
I wouldn't take any behind the scenes tours on this trip. What you see 'in front' of the scenes will be so amazing, you'll have plenty to do.

Upvote 0

gettingsmaller

You can always add park hopping after you are there.
Here's my thinking on it: the problem with hopping is "wasting" the time to hop (getting out of one park, to another, and actually to an attraction). As someone else said, it's probably at least 45 minutes to do this by bus. HOWEVER, if you end up going back to your hotel (or leaving the park for some other reason), you've already spent that time. So, if you want to be able to go back to a different park, this is the time to do it--and you'd need a hopper.

My preference is one park per day OR add the water park option and you can go to a water park and a theme park in the same day.

So, I would lean away from park hoppers. If you happen to finish a park early (though I don't see a problem with re-riding favorites), you can always hit Downtown Disney, check out resorts, ride the monorail, swim at your hotel, or go to bed early. I actually consider it a good thing that AK closes early--I know our day(s) there are going to end a little earlier.

I would say that eating in the castle wasn't worth it.

I second (third, whatever) the Behind the Seeds Tour--if you like Living with the Land, the tour is probably worth the money.

Disney Quest definitely not worth it--especially for an average person in their 50s (not that you're average).

Half the people here will pounce on me, but I'd also say that Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party was not worth the money (with 3 young kids). I'd put the target demographic for this somewhere between 10 and 25yrs old. For the money, I could have gone to Cirque or bought better candy or whatever. It's not worth $50+ per person to me to get some cheesy candies, see Pooh in a costume, and watch a Halloween-themed parade. However, kids who are old enough to handle the late hours might like it, and older "kids" who would enjoy dance parties and acting like they're 12 instead of 22 (I'm not saying that's bad) might like it. For me--and my kids, I think--it was enough to see Pooh. He didn't have to be in a costume, and the costume didn't really add to the experience. None of us cared to go to a "dance party". So, we basically paid for extra time in the park--which you probably don't need so much in Sept, anyway.

Upvote 0

French Quarter

Half the people here will pounce on me, but I'd also say that Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party was not worth the money (with 3 young kids). I'd put the target demographic for this somewhere between 10 and 25yrs old. For the money, I could have gone to Cirque or bought better candy or whatever. It's not worth $50+ per person to me to get some cheesy candies, see Pooh in a costume, and watch a Halloween-themed parade. However, kids who are old enough to handle the late hours might like it, and older "kids" who would enjoy dance parties and acting like they're 12 instead of 22 (I'm not saying that's bad) might like it. For me--and my kids, I think--it was enough to see Pooh. He didn't have to be in a costume, and the costume didn't really add to the experience. None of us cared to go to a "dance party". So, we basically paid for extra time in the park--which you probably don't need so much in Sept, anyway.

I've never been to MNSSHP so I can't really comment on the experience. I can say that we felt the Pirates and Princess Party was worth the price of admission and we were two adults who didn't do the dance parties, see any characters, or collect candy really. We would have paid the ticket price (admittedly less than $50 for us) just to see the fireworks. My DH still says that it was the best fireworks display he has ever seen. However, I think you are right. You have consider what you hope to get out of such an event. I would have to really think about whether or not to go to another hard ticket event. Depends on how I was planning to spend the rest of my day.

Upvote 0

Flip83

We never find it worth it to get the Park Hopper. We think that it wastes a lot of time transfering from one park to the next. We just schedule our dining reservations according to the park we are at that day.

I think thats crazy. I think its great having a Hopper. Say MK has Magic Hours, we will go to HS or Epcot during the day, schedule a dinner ( say at Ohana) and then take monorail to MK and you have all night to enjoy. Park Hopper is the key to maximize your fun in WDW

Upvote 0

worldfanatic

So there IS one thing to avoid at all costs - "Going Cheap". By this, I mean a "vacation" designed to save money at all costs. Folks? That's not a vacation - it's an excersize in pre-planned disapointment. When you DO go - go large. You don't have to reserve the entire Grand Floridian, or eat at V&As every night for a week.... but please, don't cut back to the point that you feel like an observer instead of a participant...

I know it's not affordable for everybody, but I agree 100%.

Spending the extra money to stay on property.....and enjoying some nicer sit down meals goes a long way to making a vacation Magical!

Upvote 0

French Quarter

I know it's not affordable for everybody, but I agree 100%.

Spending the extra money to stay on property.....and enjoying some nicer sit down meals goes a long way to making a vacation Magical!

Agreed. The best is if you can have most things booked and paid for up front so that you will do this. If you're trying to figure out if something's a good deal and how to save as you go along, it's hard to relax.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

For a first timer I wouldn't do Cirque...just too many other things to do in the parks that don't cost extra $$$$. That can be done on another trip.
To hop or not...that is the question. Honestly we have AP's and don't hop all that much. Would our trip be ruined if we didn't? Nope. However, you are going at a slower time so park hours may be limited, you will need to check this out. For example if you opt not to get the hoppers and Animal Kingdom and the Studios close at 6PM thats a whole lot of down time even factoring in dinner.

Avoid rushing the gates at closing time. I'm not sure where you are staying but if you are staying at a value resort you might as well grab a snack and a park bench or brave the crowds in the shops..as the line for the buses will probably be long.

I'd really suggest going to the library and getting a few different guide books. Learn exactly how to use Fast Passes to your advantage. Really you know what the two of you like. For me, it wouldn't be a trip without watching the parade at MK, others love Fantasmic.

Remember...Disney will be here...you can come back. Remember to relax, enjoy the atmosphere, take lots of photos and have fun.

Upvote 0

_Scar

Everything is good at WDW and I will pay no matter what.

However, my qualm is on table service resturants. Please do your research before hand and make sure you pick correctly. Many resturants are not as good as they use to me or should be. If you on free dining - it prob wont matter. But if your paying out of pocket, do your research

Totally this!

And remember what you will want at the restaurant!! I ended up eating a burger at quite a few restaurants this past vacation and it was kinda getting annoying! Def. would have switched it up if I researched more! :animwink:

All the above is good advice. We're APs, so we park hop a lot. There isn't anything really BAD at WDW, it's all worth it.

So there IS one thing to avoid at all costs - "Going Cheap". By this, I mean a "vacation" designed to save money at all costs. Folks? That's not a vacation - it's an excersize in pre-planned disapointment. When you DO go - go large. You don't have to reserve the entire Grand Floridian, or eat at V&As every night for a week.... but please, don't cut back to the point that you feel like an observer instead of a participant...

There is good and for there to be good there must be bad.

And "going cheap" doesn't make a vacation bad. In fact, my past vacation was waaaaaaaaay cheaper than my previous vacation at FW cabins. Yet we had 10x more fun this year. We didn't park hop, spent a ton less time in the parks, and actually tried to save by not eating in otrageously priced places so we could eat at 2 moderately expensive ones or so we could be in another area of the resort. There is a fine line between cheap and wise with your money.

Please don't waste all your money on stupid things and listen to this thread. :lol:

If you do too much you'll be so overwhelmed or spend waaaay too much you may worry afterwards or even during about finances (we all aren't made of money)

Money doesn't make you happy, remember that- even in WDW!

My personal recommendations:

AVOID:

Boma breakfast- only eat here if you are extremely hungry, as in you'll eat an actual horse; otherwise you'll be wasting 35+ per person

Keys to the Kingdom- you know everything on that tour if you're familiar with the basic facts of MK or ever seen a Travel Channel special. save up for a better tour

T-Rex- may look cool, but VERY expensive

DO:

Disney Quest!- at least try it once! if you like playing old school, new school, or classic games like whack-a-mole and skee ball over and over again then do this! Don't waste a day on it, but maybe take a few hours one day and visit. It's really something to see at least once

Water parks- if you love your average pool, you'll absolutely LOVE these. The price of admission for TL is alone worth it with its wave pool.

Cape May Cafe- we really loved this place. :lol: that's all.

Characters in Flight- it's a once in a lifetime experience to see everything at night (we didnt get to go during the day). some may dislike it, but it's just so neat!

=====

And lastly, create your own fun for free! Visit the resorts, ride the monorail around or just hand out at your local lobby. You'll be surprised how much fun yu can have technically doing nothing or spending anything. :animwink:

Upvote 0

JustInTime

Totally this!

And remember what you will want at the restaurant!! I ended up eating a burger at quite a few restaurants this past vacation and it was kinda getting annoying! Def. would have switched it up if I researched more! :animwink:

There is good and for there to be good there must be bad.

And "going cheap" doesn't make a vacation bad. In fact, my past vacation was waaaaaaaaay cheaper than my previous vacation at FW cabins. Yet we had 10x more fun this year. We didn't park hop, spent a ton less time in the parks, and actually tried to save by not eating in otrageously priced places so we could eat at 2 moderately expensive ones or so we could be in another area of the resort. There is a fine line between cheap and wise with your money.

Please don't waste all your money on stupid things and listen to this thread. :lol:

If you do too much you'll be so overwhelmed or spend waaaay too much you may worry afterwards or even during about finances (we all aren't made of money)

Money doesn't make you happy, remember that- even in WDW!

My personal recommendations:

AVOID:

Boma breakfast- only eat here if you are extremely hungry, as in you'll eat an actual horse; otherwise you'll be wasting 35+ per person

Keys to the Kingdom- you know everything on that tour if you're familiar with the basic facts of MK or ever seen a Travel Channel special. save up for a better tour

T-Rex- may look cool, but VERY expensive

DO:

Disney Quest!- at least try it once! if you like playing old school, new school, or classic games like whack-a-mole and skee ball over and over again then do this! Don't waste a day on it, but maybe take a few hours one day and visit. It's really something to see at least once

Water parks- if you love your average pool, you'll absolutely LOVE these. The price of admission for TL is alone worth it with its wave pool.

Cape May Cafe- we really loved this place. :lol: that's all.

Characters in Flight- it's a once in a lifetime experience to see everything at night (we didnt get to go during the day). some may dislike it, but it's just so neat!

=====

And lastly, create your own fun for free! Visit the resorts, ride the monorail around or just hand out at your local lobby. You'll be surprised how much fun yu can have technically doing nothing or spending anything. :animwink:

You actually helped me deiced on characters in flight. I am going to do it. Thanks.

Upvote 0

JohnLocke

I think the Park Hopper is a waste of money, personally. It would probably take about 45 mins or longer just to leave one park and totally get into another. Thats over 6 hours I would waste on 1 trip. AKA over half a day in one park when you think about all the extra travel times added up. It is a stupid idea and not worth it at all. Not to mention, on the days the parks close early are the only times to squeeze in Downtown Disney. Also, Cinderella's Royal Table was slightly over rated and can take a couple hours away from you on your trip. Good for one time only to say you have been in the castle. And the food is so-so.

I totally disagree with you on Park Hopper. Sure it takes time getting from park to park, but I would much rather take that time and head to another park than waste my day in a park that's either over crowded or I've pretty much completed. I know I could go to DTD or just back to the hotel or something, but I really go down there to experience the parks and an extra 50 or so a day is really worth it to completely experience them. You also have extra magic hours to take into account, where on numerous days you can open one park really early and close another park really late. Also, with no Park Hopper, I'd probably never go to Animal Kingdom, even though there are a few attractions there that I really like, because on many days it closes at 5 or 6 and I don't know what I would do those other few hours when I could be in another park, plus there's simply not enough to do there as it is. EPCOT and MGM are also parks that I could easily leave after 5-6 hours, maybe more, maybe less, but couldn't if I didn't have Park Hopper.

Upvote 0

mickey2008.1

you have posed a difficult question, where in the answer lies in yourslef. There are many great restaurants in disney, but its up to your preference as to what you like. I do agree with staying on property and using DME, there is nothing better than not having to navigate wdw and pay for parking. Park hopper just gives you more freedom to roam, especially if crowds are big in one park but not another. As for the rest of it, go with what you think is interesting. While Spirit of aloha has bad food, you might like the show. Same with hoopdee. Do your research, read the forums here on dining, trip reports, and look at the pictures. No matter what, you will have a great time, your on vacation in WDW!

Upvote 0

David S.

Yes, I LOVE the fact that my AP gives me the ability to Park Hop!

I LOVE all four parks and unless there is something special going on at two parks on the same day that I want to experience, I usually don't leave the park I start my day at until that park closes.

This is because I enjoy each park enough to spend a full day there without running out of things to do or getting bored. I prefer to fully IMMERSE myself in the world of each park from Open To Close, rather than take time travelling from park to park while that first park is still open.

But here's where I LOVE the Park Hop Option:

If I do a full day at Animal Kingdom and it closes at 5 PM, there is NO WAY I am ready to end my day at 5 PM. If I take my time lingering in Discovery Island and Oasis enjoying the animals on the way out, and don't get back to my car in the AK lot until around 5:50 PM, this means I can be parked at the MK by 6 PM! So I'll get to see Wishes, and the parade (if it's a parade night), and still have time to ride favorites!

And if AK closes as late as 8 PM, this means it is "Peak Season" and I'll STILL get a nice long Park Hop at MK, since MK won't be closing until 11 or 12 PM!

I like having my car in the parking lot for whichever park I start the day at, as that makes it a lot quicker and easier to get to my second park than waiting for a bus! The longest it takes to get between any two parks by car is only about 5-10 minutes, between AK and MK. I don't have to worry about parking fees because it's covered on my AP.

If I'm at Epcot looking to Park Hop to the MK after Illuminations is over and the park is closed, sometimes I hop on the monorail if the line isn't too bad. I've seen the 9 PM Illuminations in it's entirety, from the World Showcase lagoon, and gotten into the MK in time for a 10 PM Wishes, several times! (both by car and monorail)! Everytime I tried to do this, I was successful. Sometimes on those nights, I've even had time to squeeze in a ride on one of the Fantasyland dark rides before the start of Wishes, and managed to get a flight on Dumbo during the show!

When I go to Busch Gardens in Tampa, I can usually Park Hop to MK or Epcot after Busch closes, as long as one of those parks closes at least 2 hours after BG closes. This is done without cutting my day at Busch short in any way, and I close my night at Busch on the last train of Gwazi, my favorite coaster there, before lingering in the shops for a little while after closing before making the drive back to WDW!

The same is true for when I do a full day at the much closer Sea World. Due to their earlier closing time, I can always make it to MK or Epcot after a day at Sea World.

My personal record for longest same-day Park Hop ever (without leaving the first park before it was officially closed) was from Wild Adventures in Valdosta Georgia, to Magic Kingdom. Wild Adventures was closing at 8 PM, and MK at 12 AM or 1 AM, so I was easily able to cover the 220 driving miles between the two parks in time to make it into the MK for some night rides!

Upvote 0

hrcollectibles

Dont get the water park add on.....especially in Sept.....you never know what the weather will do in Hurricane season. If you want to go just pay day by day.

Thats all I can think of right now. Again this is just my opinion!

Considering an adult 1 day admission to the water parks is around $50 and the water parks fun and more option is around $54 why wouldn't you add it? It not only allows water park admission but it also allows for admission to Disneyquest for every day of your ticket and also a round of golf...

Upvote 0

WDWFreaksloan

If you are staying more than 2 days, The park hopper option is a must have and is well worth the cost.

I never add the water parks and more option, I think that is just a waste. I am there to do Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney Studios and Animal Kingdom not going to waste precious time at the water parks.

If I want to go to a water park, I will go to Aqutica.

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

I think the Park Hopper is a waste of money, personally. It would probably take about 45 mins or longer just to leave one park and totally get into another. Thats over 6 hours I would waste on 1 trip. AKA over half a day in one park when you think about all the extra travel times added up. It is a stupid idea and not worth it at all. Not to mention, on the days the parks close early are the only times to squeeze in Downtown Disney. Also, Cinderella's Royal Table was slightly over rated and can take a couple hours away from you on your trip. Good for one time only to say you have been in the castle. And the food is so-so.

It's not a stupid idea for those that like to use it! If you can enjoy your trip without it then that's great... but some people like to use park hopper and it's worth it to them... it's certainly not a stupid idea.

We usually head back to the resort in the middle of day (small kids) and then we like to hit up a different park in the evening. It makes it much easier to work around EMH (whether you're going to them or avoiding them), dining reservations, special events (ex. Halloween party), etc.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom