What the best Roller Coaster?

Tom Morrow

Without at doubt, SPACE MOUNTAIN! Also known as "Discovery Mountain." Its a Vekoma launched looping coaster, with theming and a soundtrack, and is very similar to Rock 'n' Rollercoaster. The launch is pretty weak, but the inside layout is more exciting and intense than Rock 'n' Rollercoaster. Also, I believe it has 1 more inversion. Its definately the best at DLP.

adr315

Originally posted by Tom Morrow
Without at doubt, SPACE MOUNTAIN! Also known as "Discovery Mountain." Its a Vekoma launched looping coaster, with theming and a soundtrack, and is very similar to Rock 'n' Rollercoaster. The launch is pretty weak, but the inside layout is more exciting and intense than Rock 'n' Rollercoaster. Also, I believe it has 1 more inversion. Its definately the best at DLP.

Actually, one less inversion.....It technically has two: a sidewinder (half loop, half cork) and a full corkscrew.......but Disney says it has 3 inversions, because it counts an overbanked turn as an inversion

adr315

Originally posted by Tom Morrow
The overbanked turn you are refering to actually is an inversion.
\

Not from what ive heard, and according to the model in the Imagineering book.......parks do this all the time (At Six Flags Georgia, they say Mindbender has 3 inversions, and it also is just 2 loops and an overbanked).....if the overbanked on SM in DLP is considered an inversion, than Millenium Force's 3 overbanks are also inversions....

Tom Morrow

I've seen a picture of that inversion (but I can't find it now) , and it looked a lot more banked than Millennium Force's turns, in fact it looked about the same as Drachen Fire's cutback inversion:
installationgallery112.htm

MF banks 122 degrees, Space Mountain banks about 145 degrees. Most people believe that you have to be a minimun of 135 degrees to be inverted, but some think you have to be near 180 degrees to be inverted. So some people consider it an inversion, some don't.

adr315

Most places i heard, said that it shouldnt be considered inverted, but ill take your word for it......Also, sad that Drachen Fire was torn down recently....never got to ride it, but it looks pretty good, especially that first corkscrew after the break run, which unfortunately was taken out a few years back.

Tom Morrow

I know, I never got to ride Drachen Fire either, and I really wanted to ride it. The entire ride could have been fixed if they had installed lapbars like on Flight of Fear. Its sad that they chose to tear it down.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I personally do count that final element as an inversion. Going through it you hang from your restraint, and are really pressed up against the side wall. :)

Spocky

I personally like Rock'n Rollercoaster better than space mountain.
SM is not so smooth anymore.

Here is a drawing of the SM track

3dtrack.jpg

ToTBellHop

I don't honestly like the changes they made...they took out the Los Angelos parking garage and opted for what looks like a studio, and the cars look freaky. Also, the front of the building looks much cheaper and is flat. I also heard (from Screamscape, but I have not seen any pictures or heard any real accounts) that instead of being dark and having the 2D objects like ours, they simply have concert lighting in there...so you can see the supports...it all seems cheap to me...From the Earth to the Moon looks much better...

Tom Morrow

My buddy who has ridden it says that the concert lighting actually increases the excitement of the ride, because they use strobe lights and stuff, and it really dis-orients you. I still think MGM's RnRc has a much better theme, though, and I'll have to wait to see if its actually more exciting.

grandmath

It is indeed more exciting in Paris. I rode the two roller coasters, and although I prefer the theme of the parking exit in the launch area in Florida, and some of the sets, I must admit that in Paris it is just more fun and dissorienting. There are strobs, smoke, and super cool lighting effects (pink, green, blue, orange and multi-color). Furthermore, each train has a different music AND light system, so you can have 5 different experiences on this ride. Of course, there is less to watch, but overall it is just more exciting in Paris, you really fell the rush and you're part of the concert.

d dude

I personally like WDW RnR's better. Though i havn't rode it yet, i like the themeing better. does any body know what the inside of DLP's RnR looks like?

d dude

I personally like WDW RnR's better. Though i havn't rode Dlps yet, i like the themeing on WDW's better. does any body know what the inside of DLP's RnR looks like?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom