What should NOT have been replaced?

surfsupdon

I dont know the facts but....

I dont think World of Motion or Horizons should have been closed. Informative and long! And I always waited in a line for them so I dont knowif they weren't popular or something, from a business standpoint. They were entertaining.

I LOVE Mr Toad, but I think compared to the rest fo the rides it was the weakest. So personal feelings I dont think it should ahve been take down, but maybe from a business standpoint b/c the movie isnt popular with the general un-disney freak masses, and i dont rememebr much lines on it. I dont think it could have been updated b/c still it isnt a popular movie. But nor was song of the south and splash mountain is def working, haha.

General Grizz

Original Poster
I'll add Tiki Room, Kitchen Kabaret, and the Diamond Horseshoe Jamboree to the list. However, I don't think I'll quite add AE (I haven't seen the new attraction) nor will I add Toad. Sorry. . . I liked the ride! But we still have ole Toady in Disneyland and Pooh isn't all that bad. I actually like Pooh. :)

Good going, Jen. :)

mrtoad

I would have to go with:

Rides:
Tiki Room
WoM
If You Had Wings
Walt Disney Story
Mr. Toad - though I have to say it is more from a memory standpoint than anything else. I loved it because I grew up with it. Everyone else I know that rode it for the first time as an adult thought it was cheesy. And I have to agree with Mr. Hall, Pooh is a good ride.

Transportation:
Buses - You use to be able to take a bus from say Port Orleans to the Contemporary. Now you have to take the bus from PO to Magic Kingdom and walk or Monorail over

Others:
Everything on Main Street that was turned into shop #5, Shop #6, etc.

meeko_33785

I can honestly not think of a single attraction that Disney should have never replaced that they did. IMO, all of the attractions that were replaced or rehabed into something else were dated and needed a change. The only possible exception I can think of is the Monster Sound Show at MGM. While I would have liked to see it replaced, I think they could have had a better replacement than Sounds Dangerous or the ABC Sound Show.

SNS

I completely disagree, there was no attraction that deserved to be ripped to pieces & thrown in a dumpster.

Goofyfanatic

I'll have to say...I think most are upset about the attraction changes for nostalgic reasons...but most of the changes I can think of were needed as far as a business standpoint...the majority of them that I know of had virtually no lines when they were replaced...I remember being one of very few people in the tiki room at the end...I also remember hopping on directly on WOM and horizons...with no line at all...the only ride that puzzles me is Mr. Toad...I seem to remember there always being a line...the only reason I can come up with is that due to pooh's popularity they wanted to add a pooh attraction, but one of the fantasy land rides would have to go...so since the majority of your average disney visitor has no idea who Mr. Toad is....I can't comment on alien encounter...I'm not sure how those lines were the past couple of years, but from what I have seen in other postersd comments...I would say it is the same case there.

SNS

Pooh could have gone in some other place. As for the lines, you have to consider the amount of people that can ride at a time.

meeko_33785

Originally posted by SNS
I completely disagree, there was no attraction that deserved to be ripped to pieces & thrown in a dumpster.

I'm sorry, but I can't agree with that at all. There are many rides that were changed that needed to be changed. Look at "Mission to Mars" for example. While I didn't think Alien Encounter was too great either, I have to admit it was an improvement over the outdated Mission attraction. Same with Timekeeper and the Circle*Vision films, Buzz and Dreamflight, and Toad and Pooh. These were tired, dated attractions that just couldn't relate to the audience that the park had. I see no problem in letting them go and putting in newer, more elaborate, and nmore technilogically advanced attractions.

SNS

You don't see a problem with classic attractions being totally trashed & thrown in a dumpster just because they want to save cash on expanding the parks? Here's a description of the destruction of If You Had Wings (which shows the balant disrespect they have for the classics).

So when I more or less accidentally walked through the middle of the ride as it was being disassembled, it came as a total shock that the company would allow it to happen. The interior set pieces, so carefully crafted by WED and MAPO in 1972, were being broken apart into little pieces and thrown into large grey, plastic bins that lined the track in place of the ride vehicles. The 16mm film strips that gave the ride its sense of "action" had been pulled from the projectors and thrown to the floor where they rested, inert and sad, in the dust. Standing inside the big globe looking out at the load area through huge holes that the demolition crew had made in its side was an altogether sickening experience, like seeing the house you were born in ransacked.

meeko_33785

I hardly see "If You Had Wings" as a classic attraction. It was nothing more than a cute ride trying to sell airline tickets. I would hardly call that a classic like I would Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, or even Spaceship Earth.

mrtoad

Originally posted by meeko_33785
I hardly see "If You Had Wings" as a classic attraction. It was nothing more than a cute ride trying to sell airline tickets. I would hardly call that a classic like I would Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, or even Spaceship Earth.

When I was a kid it was acutally one of my favorites. As stated it was probably taken out for attendence reasons. But in my memory it was an excellent ride. That does not mean it should have been kept, it just means that it was a good ride (at least to me).

mrtoad

Originally posted by SNS
You don't see a problem with classic attractions being totally trashed & thrown in a dumpster just because they want to save cash on expanding the parks? Here's a description of the destruction of If You Had Wings (which shows the balant disrespect they have for the classics).

That is strange. But I guess that keep everything they remove. It would be like an exagerated version of the fire hazard my mother keeps in her basement under the stairs of all the things my sisters and me made growing up. :animwink:

Do you know what happened to the stuff from Mr. Toad? I would love to get one of the cars to use for seating in my family room. That would be cool!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom