what rides should i take my kids on that have a heart problem?

happymom52003

Have you asked their doctor? I would imagine they could go on anything that does not have a health warning. The rides that pose any danger to people with health problems all have health warnings at the entrance to the ride. There will still be plenty for them to do. If you want to get a good idea about which rides they can do before you get there, get a good guide book such as The Unofficial Guide to WDW or Passporter...they list descriptions of all the rides and whether or not they have health warnings. But I would clear everything with their doctor before you go.

TwoTigersMom

I would talk to the doctor about it. My son has heart murmer and I asked the doctor if I should keep him off any of thrill rides because of it and he said no. But his murmer is a normal childhood murmer that should go away eventually. He's had all the tests done and they say it's not a bad one at all and shouldn't cause him any problems. I don't think any of us on the discussion board can answer your question. That is something that is to "iffy". Just talk to their doctor and let him or her tell you what should be safe enough for the kids. Good Luck and welcome to the boards :wave:

WDWRLD

If their problem requires that they dont get their rate/pressure up then I think everything except, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Astro Orbiter, Barnstormer and maybe even Dumbo and Alladins carpets and also possibly Pirates of the Caribbean(has a small drop of about 15-20 ft.) at MK.
Epcot I would say stay away from Test Track Definitely either version of Mission Space, Soarin and possibly Malestron(also has a small drop of about 25 ft.).
MGM would be Tower of terror, Rock n Roller coaster and Star Tours to stay away from.
AK rides to avoid would be Dinosaur, Everest, Primevil Whirl and possibly Tricerratop spin.

I think thats about it for the big 4 parks.....Im sure I misses something but others will add to the list. Talk to their Doctor because most likely he or she has either been to Disney or has a colleague who has and could possibly refer you to to get their thoughts.

Brian Skinner said:
I think everything except, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Astro Orbiter, Barnstormer and maybe even Dumbo and Alladins carpets and also possibly Pirates of the Caribbean(has a small drop of about 15-20 ft.) at MK.

I'd also add Stitch's Great Escape.

Brian Skinner said:
AK rides to avoid would be Dinosaur, Everest, Primevil Whirl and possibly Tricerratop spin.

Probably Kali River Rapids as well.

The Mom

Premium Member
I agree with people who have said that this is something you have to discuss with your doctor, and you also have to make a decision based upon YOUR knowledge of your children.

You don't mention their ages, or their experiences. Teenagers who have watched scary movies would have a much different reaction to Haunted Mansion than a 4 year old who is afraid of the dark. Even something as benign as a boat ride could be a problem for a child who is afraid of the water.

My husband has no problem with coasters, but can't tolerate Dumbo. (spinning)

You might try ordering a planning video to get a better idea of each ride/attraction.

I personally would skip any ride with a health warning if I were in your situation.

Disneykidder

Yeah, only you and your doctors could really be the rightful judge of these rides. Brian hit the nail on the head with the correct rides, but check into the attractions books out there. There must be a web site that has all of the "warning" rides listed. The planning video is good, and free, but doesn't show every ride. Just do your homework and you'll be fine. There is still going to be soo much to do for them, even if they can't go on all of the above rides. Have a magical trip!!:)

sknydave

"a heart problem" isn't very descriptive.

I'm 26 and I had surgery to repair a bicuspid aortic valve + aneurysm of the ascending aorta a few months ago. I ride and re-ride every "thrill" ride in Central Florida. The ride itself isn't really going to do anything to anyone, it's peoples reactions to the ride that I feel does the damage. If you follow the ride health warnings your kids are going to ride 1 thing and spend the rest of the day staring at a wall.

The Mom

Premium Member
"a heart problem" isn't very descriptive.

I'm 26 and I had surgery to repair a bicuspid aortic valve + aneurysm of the ascending aorta a few months ago. I ride and re-ride every "thrill" ride in Central Florida. The ride itself isn't really going to do anything to anyone, it's peoples reactions to the ride that I feel does the damage. If you follow the ride health warnings your kids are going to ride 1 thing and spend the rest of the day staring at a wall.

You are an adult, so are capable of making a decision to ride/not ride on your own. A parent is held to a higher standard, since he/she literally has someone else's life in his/her hands, and would have to live with any error in judgement.

sknydave

Wow, I had no idea! Thanks!

I'm giving my input as someone who deals with this very situation. The "heart condition" isn't the only factor here. Only the parent knows their kids and has an idea of how they might react on the rides.

donvincenzo

I know nothing about heart problems, so I hope I'm not speaking in ignorance or stupidity here, but do any of you agree with me in that Soarin' might be ok to do? A previous poster mentioned to avoid it, but I think it would be fine. On the map it doesn't have the infamous red triangle that usually goes along with thrill rides. If the young child does ok in a movie theater (not sure if he does, just assuming) Soarin' would probably be ok, since you're only moving slightly in sync with the film. Again, I have no knowledge that would back up my comment, just a thought to consider. It would probably make the kids feel good that they can go on such a major attraction.

Hope this isn't taken as rude or inconsiderate or anything....

WDWRLD

I know nothing about heart problems, so I hope I'm not speaking in ignorance or stupidity here, but do any of you agree with me in that Soarin' might be ok to do? A previous poster mentioned to avoid it, but I think it would be fine. On the map it doesn't have the infamous red triangle that usually goes along with thrill rides. If the young child does ok in a movie theater (not sure if he does, just assuming) Soarin' would probably be ok, since you're only moving slightly in sync with the film. Again, I have no knowledge that would back up my comment, just a thought to consider. It would probably make the kids feel good that they can go on such a major attraction.

Hope this isn't taken as rude or inconsiderate or anything....

With Soarin its not the ride itself but the feeling that you are hundreds of feet in the air and flying, and actually you are very high.

WDWRLD

One thing I would sugest would be that even if you think that a ride would be too much for your child ride it yourself to see while they do something else. I have talked to to many people who have skipped some of the best kids rides just because they really didnt know what it was. Many people who I talked to skipped such great rides such as Snow Whites "Scarry" Adventures but yet thought The many adventures of Winnie The Pooh was great when actuality they are the exact same thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom