What rides does WDW have that wouldn't be out of place at Cedar Point?

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Okay first and foremost the best park I have been to OUTSIDE of Florida (haven't been to California yet) is Cedar Point. If you want the ultimate thrills you stop right there. There are 18 rollercoasters.

But what rides of WDW would be considered extreme and fit in nicely at Cedar Point even for the adrenaline junkies?

Here's my take:

Space Mountain - It would be fine there but would still be one of the more tame rollercoasters at Cedar Point. There is a very similar ride called "Disaster Transport" that I can only assume got it's inspiration from Space Mountain. SM is better though since it's pitch black.

Tower of Terror - It would fit in rather nicely just based on the thrill factor alone. I have always maintained that a free fall in the pitch dark is scarier than in daylight. Cedar Point has two towers that either shoot you up really fast or drop you like a free fall but they are outside.

Aerosmith Rockin Rollercoaster - Pretty intense really. Plus any dark rollercoaster that loops you upsidedown is thrilling. It would be a middle of the pack thrill ride at Cedar Point.

Expedition Everest - Would fit in rather nicely on the thrill scale. It wouldn't be the scariest one there but somewhere in the middle maybe.

That's as far as I would go. There isn't really anything else in the way of thrill rides that can compare. Test Track? Nice, but too many stop and starts. Splash Mountain? Already has two log rides there and isn't anymore thrilling. Thunder Mountain? It might be alright. There are 2-3 coasters at Cedar Point that you might classify as "less thrilling" than Thunder. Those would be Iron Dragon, Cedar Creek Mine Ride and Wildcat.

Fuzz

I would say that none of the rides fit in as the are all themed with a story behind them although it would be easier to just remove the story behind RNR and Space Mountain could easy just be changed into a dark ride.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I would say that none of the rides fit in as the are all themed with a story behind them although it would be easier to just remove the story behind RNR and Space Mountain could easy just be changed into a dark ride.

Just ignore the theming and focus strictly on the thrill factor issue.

Testtrack321

Space Mountain -... There is a very similar ride called "Disaster Transport" that I can only assume got it's inspiration from Space Mountain. SM is better though since it's pitch black.

Because of this I cannot take this post or your idea seriously. At all.

Cedar Point is an amusement park; there is no consistant theme, design, or story. Cedar Point has more in common with Universal than anything Disney has ever done, including 2001 era DCA.

Grizzly Hall 71

Okay first and foremost the best park I have been to OUTSIDE of Florida (haven't been to California yet) is Cedar Point. If you want the ultimate thrills you stop right there. There are 18 rollercoasters.

But what rides of WDW would be considered extreme and fit in nicely at Cedar Point even for the adrenaline junkies?

Here's my take:

Space Mountain - It would be fine there but would still be one of the more tame rollercoasters at Cedar Point. There is a very similar ride called "Disaster Transport" that I can only assume got it's inspiration from Space Mountain. SM is better though since it's pitch black.

Tower of Terror - It would fit in rather nicely just based on the thrill factor alone. I have always maintained that a free fall in the pitch dark is scarier than in daylight. Cedar Point has two towers that either shoot you up really fast or drop you like a free fall but they are outside.

Aerosmith Rockin Rollercoaster - Pretty intense really. Plus any dark rollercoaster that loops you upsidedown is thrilling. It would be a middle of the pack thrill ride at Cedar Point.

Expedition Everest - Would fit in rather nicely on the thrill scale. It wouldn't be the scariest one there but somewhere in the middle maybe.

That's as far as I would go. There isn't really anything else in the way of thrill rides that can compare. Test Track? Nice, but too many stop and starts. Splash Mountain? Already has two log rides there and isn't anymore thrilling. Thunder Mountain? It might be alright. There are 2-3 coasters at Cedar Point that you might classify as "less thrilling" than Thunder. Those would be Iron Dragon, Cedar Creek Mine Ride and Wildcat.

I think Mission: Space and Dinosaur could fit there. But that's about it. Disney doesn't make thrills (wish they would).

Universal has the entire IOA except Spidey and FJ could fit. Hollywood Rip would fit it doesn't have a real theme anyway.

Grizzly Hall 71

Here's my take:

Just saying Six Flags Great Adventure is the THRILL capital. Kindga Ka (tallest, fastest in the world), el toro, bizzaro, nitro, batman, great American scream machine, superman, and more.

It's opinion though :).

janoimagine

There is a very similar ride called "Disaster Transport" that I can only assume got it's inspiration from Space Mountain.

I think you mean Avalanche Run, which is what it started out as ... that was by far the cheapest trick any theme park has done to an attraction :lol:. I have been to Cedar Point hundreds of times, it is in no way even in the same league as WDW.

You can't compare thrill rides between the two by stripping away the theming ... it just doesn't work.

DisneyNut7578

Ok, I grew up in Cleveland, went to Cedar Point 500 times. I moved to FL and have visited WDW 500 times.

No rides from WDW could ever possibly be placed in Cedar Point or vice versa.

Sorry, I went to WDW on my honeymoon and it ruined every other park for me...ever.

MickeyKimmy

I grew up in NE Ohio and went to Cedar Point often and have been to Disney about 20 times. I have to agree with what most everyone else is saying. So hard to compare the two because WDW is all about the theming and Cedar Point all about the thrills. How do you compare something like HM or POTC which I could ride a hundred times in a row and still love with something like Top Thrill Dragster or Millenium Force which are probably the most thrilling rides I have ever been on?

Take away the theming and I guess ToT or any of the roller coasters would fit but the WDW rides just aren't the same without the theming.

fosse76

I grew up in NE Ohio and went to Cedar Point often and have been to Disney about 20 times. I have to agree with what most everyone else is saying. So hard to compare the two because WDW is all about the theming and Cedar Point all about the thrills. How do you compare something like HM or POTC which I could ride a hundred times in a row and still love with something like Top Thrill Dragster or Millenium Force which are probably the most thrilling rides I have ever been on?

Take away the theming and I guess ToT or any of the roller coasters would fit but the WDW rides just aren't the same without the theming.

I agree. Most of Disney's rides would not work without the themeing, except for Maybe RNR and BTMRR. Unlike at Disney, Cedar Point and Six Flags don't need to theme their rides for people to enjoy them. And I don't care what anyone here says, just because these parks aren't themed doesn't make them lesser than Disney. It just means the experience is different. Most of Disney's attractions would be rather boring without themeing. EE's layout is dictated by the mountain structure that contains it, so as a stand-alone rollercoaster it would only be mildly fun.

Mr Bill

Because of this I cannot take this post or your idea seriously. At all.

Cedar Point is an amusement park; there is no consistant theme, design, or story. Cedar Point has more in common with Universal than anything Disney has ever done, including 2001 era DCA.
It's more like a well-themed park than a well-themed park?

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Sorry no offense to the people who posted here, but exactly how hard is it to isolate solely the thrill factor of an attraction and try to find how it would rate amongst the ones in the most thrilling park in the world? Forget the theming. I repeat, forget the theming. I'll spell it out differently. If Everest was still a ride that went backwards in the dark or if RNRC didn't have Aerosmith but was just a loopy rollercoaster in the dark.

On the thrill factor alone, where do some of these rides compare to the ones in Cedar Point?

By the way to the other poster, Disaster Transport in Cedar Point is the ride I am talking about that has a similar idea to Space Mountain. Not sure which one you meant. The only difference is theming (obviously) and Space is completely in the dark where as the other one is in dim lighting. On thrill factor alone I think Space Mountain is higher than it.

Frightful

Dude... Disaster Transport is darker than SM. And it is officially my favorite roller coaster in the world. Its theming may be garbage compared to Disney but at least it makes no apologies in its relentless '80s blacklight sci-fi assault. I like SM because it reminds me of DT, not the other way around. Of course it's a cheap copy, but a very endearing one.

janoimagine

Sorry no offense to the people who posted here, but exactly how hard is it to isolate solely the thrill factor of an attraction and try to find how it would rate amongst the ones in the most thrilling park in the world? Forget the theming. I repeat, forget the theming. I'll spell it out differently. If Everest was still a ride that went backwards in the dark or if RNRC didn't have Aerosmith but was just a loopy rollercoaster in the dark.

On the thrill factor alone, where do some of these rides compare to the ones in Cedar Point?

By the way to the other poster, Disaster Transport in Cedar Point is the ride I am talking about that has a similar idea to Space Mountain. Not sure which one you meant. The only difference is theming (obviously) and Space is completely in the dark where as the other one is in dim lighting. On thrill factor alone I think Space Mountain is higher than it.

I understand what you are trying to say however in a lot of (all) cases the theming of these rides has a lot to do with the thrill factor, to me part of TOT's thrills are the backstory and theme, the same for Rocking Roller coaster, and Everest for that matter.

Regarding Disaster Transport, this is an example of Cedar Point trying to theme a thrill ride and failing miserably. Instead of building a new attraction, they took and existing attraction 'Avalanche Run' which had a swiss tobogganing theme and tried to turn it into a space mountain clone and failed miserably in the process. They gave it a themed que (all be it a bad rip off of the star tours que) and even tried to give it a backstory with a robot pilot and rocket fuel named RBB 541. (Really Big Bang ... Seriously?)

My long winded point is the theme adds to the thrill in most cases, if I wanted simple speed and drop thrills, I can drive my Audi down i-75 at 100+ miles an hour and get the same thrill. That is really all Cedar Point offers, is the speed thrills. I can't compare the two parks or the attractions within the parks at all.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Dude... Disaster Transport is darker than SM. And it is officially my favorite roller coaster in the world. Its theming may be garbage compared to Disney but at least it makes no apologies in its relentless '80s blacklight sci-fi assault. I like SM because it reminds me of DT, not the other way around. Of course it's a cheap copy, but a very endearing one.

I was at Cedar Point three weeks ago and rode Space Mountain in March. You can't see a thing on Space Mountain. You can see where you are going for the most part on Disaster Transport. Are you sure you don't have the lighting in the two mixed up?

Frightful

I haven't done post-refurb Space Mountain and heard mixed reviews on the darkness level. Disaster Transport has the lit portions when you get to the... planet, or whatever... but the tunnels where you go careening around in your little bobsled cars are VERY dark. If you can't see your hand on SM now, that's awesome, and the way it should be.

thelookingglass

Regarding Disaster Transport, this is an example of Cedar Point trying to theme a thrill ride and failing miserably. Instead of building a new attraction, they took and existing attraction 'Avalanche Run' which had a swiss tobogganing theme and tried to turn it into a space mountain clone and failed miserably in the process. They gave it a themed que (all be it a bad rip off of the star tours que) and even tried to give it a backstory with a robot pilot and rocket fuel named RBB 541. (Really Big Bang ... Seriously?)
Oh, Disaster Transport is pathetic, no question.

Maverick, however, is actually decently themed, at least for being in a park that does almost no theming.

That said, Cedar Point is a top notch amusement park experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom