What pets outside of dogs should WDW allow in Hotel rooms?

What pets outside of dogs should WDW allow in Hotel rooms?

• Fish

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • cats

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • Hamsters

• Birds

• Snakes

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • rabbits

Votes: 13 7.0%
  • iguana

Votes: 10 5.4%
  • crabs

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • other - Means outside of dogs and outside of the potential pets already mentioned

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • None

Votes: 122 65.9%

• Total voters

J_Carioca

Good. Then we agree. Since there should be NO dogs dropping anywhere on property far as I'm concerned. They have flea-bag motels for this.

Ha. If you're really this worked up about one dog pooping outside a hotel (and you haven't even said that it wasn't picked up by the owners), you really need to get some perspective. Read the news. There are much bigger problems in the world than Disney allowing dogs in some hotels. Hell, there are bigger problems at Disney than this.

Squigglove

Ha. If you're really this worked up about one dog pooping outside a hotel (and you haven't even said that it wasn't picked up by the owners), you really need to get some perspective. Read the news. There are much bigger problems in the world than Disney allowing dogs in some hotels. Hell, there are bigger problems at Disney than this.

My perspective is with regard to the topic not world news! It's been repeated here that dogs are not the problem - it's the owners, you can't give people an inch! Only a severely dull person would keep to the point of ONE dog. OBVIOUSLY if ONE dog has done it, more have also. Just because no one is keeping a tally on it in this thread doesn't mean it's not already an issue. And I take my leave of this debate. It is what it is now.

Minnesota disney fan

So what? Presumably the owners had a bag and picked up after the dog. So what if a dog went to the bathroom in the area outside your friend's room? As long as the owners pick up after it, what difference does it make? You could pay thousands of dollars a night for a room at the Waldorf Astoria and guess what? A dog might go to the bathroom outside. It's only a problem if it's not picked up.

Why are you so upset? They saw the dog going where it was NOT supposed to. They supposedly have designated areas for dogs to relieve themselves. But that goes out the window if they don't book everyone in the designated bldg. 24 as advertised by them. People who do not want to be near dog areas have a right to ask not to be, per WDW statement. They are supposed to put anyone who asks in a non dog bldg. They did not do that. What is wrong with that? Not everyone wants to smell dog poo outside their room, or step in it as the owner had not done a thing before they left. So it is a problem if it is picked up or not, as Disney stated the dogs would be in a designated .spot with doggy bags for disposal. It is an inconvenience to those who do not want to deal with dogs while on vacation. That shouldn't be too hard to understand. If you want to be with dogs, fine, stay with them. But that does not mean that others should have to put up with them FOR ANY Reason! WDW was not built as a doggy destination, but a place for families to go and have a safe fun time together.
I hope if Disney is really going to give this a trial, that they do it properly and put the dogs where specified By Them, and assign CM's to take care of the doggy messes where ever they show up. Everyone knows that dogs can't just hold it til they get to their potty spots. They will go everywhere and anywhere.
It remains to be seen what Disney actually does to accommodate everyone, and to keep their promises about when and how they will enforce their own lax rules.
Calm and peace and out. I am not going to argue this over and over, just my opinion!

Last edited:

Squigglove

It is an inconvenience to those who do not want to deal with dogs while on vacation.

That is the essential point to all this. "Vacation." Which is about freedom from obligations for a short period.
This is really only going to work at the Wilderness and the Yacht. The classes at AoA and POR are too broad for this to work.

I have pets. What that means is that somebody gets left out of each vacation because someone has to take care of our pets while we're gone. This is not a problem for my family because we obligated ourselves to their care. When you have obligations that can't be ignored then it is also your obligation to find a way to handle it. I wouldn't show up on ANY vacation with my fish tanks and pet carriers looking to be respectfully accommodated when I no such respect to offer in return!

J_Carioca

That is the essential point to all this. "Vacation." Which is about freedom from obligations for a short period.
This is really only going to work at the Wilderness and the Yacht. The classes at AoA and POR are too broad for this to work.

I have pets. What that means is that somebody gets left out of each vacation because someone has to take care of our pets while we're gone. This is not a problem for my family because we obligated ourselves to their care. When you have obligations that can't be ignored then it is also your obligation to find a way to handle it. I wouldn't show up on ANY vacation with my fish tanks and pet carriers looking to be respectfully accommodated when I no such respect to offer in return!

Sorry, can you clarify what you mean by "classes"? I am afraid that you are referring to classes of people, but I can only hope that I'm mistaken. Because if you are suggesting that there is a correlation between income and how one cares for one's pets, then I will not waste any breath on responding to you ever again.

thomas998

None, but I mean no pets whatsoever, not even the dogs. Yeah, true service animals should be allowed, but it would be nice if Disney had rooms set aside for animals, similar to how there were rooms for smoking and non-smoking. I have a pet, I don’t expect everyone to accommodate my pet. She is more comfortable at home and if I could afford to take a vacation, I could afford to have someone look after her while I’m away from home.
This. Frankly pets present a problem to other visitors. First you have fleas that they bring in, it is bad enough I need to worry about bed bugs I don't want to have to worry about fleas as well... Shoot I know where to look for bed bugs and can pretty much tell if I'm safe or not on that front, but fleas are much more difficult to pick up on until your bitten... worse still a flea can transmit diseases, at least bed bugs don't do that.

Then of course there are the allergies that some people have. With smokers it is easy to tell you are in a room that was used by smokers, but with a cat or dog the person with allergies isn't going to know when they open the door... They might know the next day when they wake up with an itchy rash, hives, wheezing and other associated symptoms of exposure to an animal you are allergic to....Pets belong at the owners' homes not where other people stay.

Frankly I would love for the state of Florida or the Federal government to pass a law requiring service animals to have be regulated and tagged to avoid the people that bring anything from a pig to a small horse along with them claiming it is a service animal. Service animals are those animals that assist a disabled person in doing things that they would otherwise be unable to do, like a seeing eye dog or even a monkey that helps someone that is paralysed... they aren't intended to be comfort animals to make people feel better - that's what xanax and prozac are for, pop a pill and leave the animal at home.

Minnesota disney fan

This. Frankly pets present a problem to other visitors. First you have fleas that they bring in, it is bad enough I need to worry about bed bugs I don't want to have to worry about fleas as well... Shoot I know where to look for bed bugs and can pretty much tell if I'm safe or not on that front, but fleas are much more difficult to pick up on until your bitten... worse still a flea can transmit diseases, at least bed bugs don't do that.

Then of course there are the allergies that some people have. With smokers it is easy to tell you are in a room that was used by smokers, but with a cat or dog the person with allergies isn't going to know when they open the door... They might know the next day when they wake up with an itchy rash, hives, wheezing and other associated symptoms of exposure to an animal you are allergic to....Pets belong at the owners' homes not where other people stay.

Frankly I would love for the state of Florida or the Federal government to pass a law requiring service animals to have be regulated and tagged to avoid the people that bring anything from a pig to a small horse along with them claiming it is a service animal. Service animals are those animals that assist a disabled person in doing things that they would otherwise be unable to do, like a seeing eye dog or even a monkey that helps someone that is paralysed... they aren't intended to be comfort animals to make people feel better - that's what xanax and prozac are for, pop a pill and leave the animal at home.

Wish I could double "like" this about 10 times:)

EOD K9

My last K9 partner was extremely well behaved and she was the type of dog I could have taken to WDW. Also, having been there numerous times, I would not have minded coming back after 5 hours or so to empty her out and take a quick break. I also clean up after them. My agency goes so far as to give us pick up bags. I suppose I am in the minority. She was a German Shepherd and shed a lot of hair even though I groomed her constantly. My current partner is a yellow Lab and he sheds worse than she did. Dog hair is a fact of life. We keep several lint rollers around for our guests.
Now, as far as bedbugs and dogs, I can tell you that outside of the explosive detection K-9 unit that Disney has, they also have bedbug dogs. While they aren't in the room for long, most of the rooms in Disney have had a dog in there. Granted, there isn't a lot of time for hair to fall, there will be dog hair and some dander in those rooms. More than likely, you've been in a room that has had a dog in it, even if only for a few minutes.

drizgirl

My last K9 partner was extremely well behaved and she was the type of dog I could have taken to WDW. Also, having been there numerous times, I would not have minded coming back after 5 hours or so to empty her out and take a quick break. I also clean up after them. My agency goes so far as to give us pick up bags. I suppose I am in the minority. She was a German Shepherd and shed a lot of hair even though I groomed her constantly. My current partner is a yellow Lab and he sheds worse than she did. Dog hair is a fact of life. We keep several lint rollers around for our guests.
Now, as far as bedbugs and dogs, I can tell you that outside of the explosive detection K-9 unit that Disney has, they also have bedbug dogs. While they aren't in the room for long, most of the rooms in Disney have had a dog in there. Granted, there isn't a lot of time for hair to fall, there will be dog hair and some dander in those rooms. More than likely, you've been in a room that has had a dog in it, even if only for a few minutes.
I don't think that having a dog walk in for a few minutes sniffing for bedbugs is the same as a dog inhabiting the room for days on end, possibly sleeping in the bed, and being left alone for hours on end. Not even remotely close.

EOD K9

I don't think that having a dog walk in for a few minutes sniffing for bedbugs is the same as a dog inhabiting the room for days on end, possibly sleeping in the bed, and being left alone for hours on end. Not even remotely close.
I never said it was close, just saying that dogs have been in the rooms. The last few lines acknowledge the fact that there isn't a lot of time for hair or dander transfer.

bigrigross

Good. Then we agree. Since there should be NO dogs dropping anywhere on property far as I'm concerned. They have flea-bag motels for this.

As said in previous post even with a link that states where you can stay with your dog. Their are plenty of 3, 4, and 5 star hotels that allow dogs. I have never had an issue finding a nice hotel that allows dogs. And no matter where you stay, you should always pick up the dog droppings. Heck, I picked up and delivered my neighbors dogs droppings over their fence just yesterday.

Lora Baines Bradley

Haven’t been able to read the entire thread yet, but wanted to throw in my two cents.

I have terrible cat allergies. The person can vacuum every surface and keep the cat away from me, but I still get a runny nose, puffy eyes, and recently, a rash. I know disney is testing this with dogs right now, not cats, but I recently discovered I have a mild allergy to dogs who shed now too. It absolutely SUCKS. I would hate to come home from an exhausting day at the parks and my allergies kick in. It’s basically an instant cold and it’s awful. Not to mention, I’ve never stayed overnight somewhere where the animal was allowed on the bed. That isn’t easy to get out.

I’m not bashing anyone who has dogs or cats- all of my friends do and it’s fine by me. I’ve stayed with friends who have a miniature Italian greyhound and I love their dog. My family is also considering adopting one. Just please keep animals out of Disney hotel rooms, or at the very least, have separate rooms.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom