What pets outside of dogs should WDW allow in Hotel rooms?

What pets outside of dogs should WDW allow in Hotel rooms?

• Fish

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • cats

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • Hamsters

• Birds

• Snakes

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • rabbits

Votes: 13 7.0%
  • iguana

Votes: 10 5.4%
  • crabs

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • other - Means outside of dogs and outside of the potential pets already mentioned

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • None

Votes: 122 65.9%

• Total voters

copcarguyp71

I saw the news earlier today of this. We have dogs and could never be without them in our lives. I guess my question is are there going to be rooms exclusively set aside as pet friendly at these resorts because there are people with extreme dog allergies and I have doubts that mousekeeping can actually get pet dander out between guests. Can you imagine going to sleep and waking up hours later with your eyes swollen shut from a reaction? Sorry if this has already been covered in the thread...posting from my phone.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Dragons, like this one...

promo327254066.jpg

Wouldn't he look lovely sitting on top of one of the Castle spires?

DfromATX

Having dogs at the resorts works well in theory. The issue is this: not everyone's dog is well-behaved, not everyone's dog will be quiet, no one can get back to the resort in half an hour, and not everyone's dog will be able to make it to the relief areas in time. It will be impossible for all of these rules to be followed by everyone, and every dog, every time. I love dogs, but wouldn't want to stay at a resort with them which is why I would stay at anyone but the four and that's totally fine by me. I think it would suck to come home at night after a long day in the parks and accidentally step in some dog poop. Because again, not everyone will probably clean up after their dogs. I do feel bad for people with allergies as well, being on the magical express with a dog.

I have 2 dogs that are my babies and I agree with you. I will feel better knowing they are with my neighbor in a real home. That's traumatic enough for them. I can't imagine bringing them on a plane and then in a hotel room all day. Plus, worrying about what they're doing is the last thing I want to do when I'm on vacation. One is crated and one normally sleeps with me. I know I am not the only person. That means that if I were to bring him, he'd end up in the bed with me. Same as for everyone else who sleeps with their dogs. I don't want to sleep in a bed that other dogs have been sleeping in. (Some of the humans are probably bad enough.) Imagine all the dogs that have accidents in the room. My husband's niece works for a hotel that allows pets and she has seen poop even in the beds! And the fleas. Not to mention those who are allergic or even those who just don't like dogs. It's not fair to them. No, thanks! I will not stay in any of those hotels.

DfromATX

I would freak out to bring any cats with me traveling. I have cats being absolutly terrified of being in a car, being terrified of chickens, why should I bring a cat to me on vacation. LOL.

Reptiles need to stay in their enclosure, where they would be happy! I keep turtles and lizard, I cannot imagine bringing a snake either. I would be stressed to be traveling with a reptile too.

I also have 2 cats. When we moved, one of the cats was traumatized for an entire year! She literally hid in a closet for the first year we lived in our new house. I even took her to the vet because I was so worried about her. And the car ride to our new house... I had her in a carrier in the front seat of the car, then I ran back in the old house for something, came back out and she had managed to push herself out of the car and onto the sidewalk, while she was still in the carrier. Cats don't like change. Good news is we've been in our house 2 years now and she is back to normal.

EOD K9

I've had a working dog for fourteen years. Both of them have flown with me and also stayed with me in hotels while on protective details. They haven't had issues. They were very comfortable with travel. One of the hotels we use for work on a consistent basis uses one floor and one wing for us and regular pets. They also close off the doors at night to keep any noise to a minimum. I've also asked housekeeping for a vacuum and kept my room in order. Not every dog has accidents.
I'd think that people who are spending money to take their pets know them well enough. I don't think people would spend all that extra money to have a miserable pet. It is also a good thing that TWDC is giving out waste pickup bags. There should be no excuse for not picking up after their dogs. If there are designated empty areas, there shouldn't be too many surprises in the common areas. You aren't going to see dogs laying on the pool deck or hanging out in restaurants. The fact that they are charging extra leads me to believe that there will be extra cleaning built in to those rooms. Time will tell.

JIMINYCR

I've had a working dog for fourteen years. Both of them have flown with me and also stayed with me in hotels while on protective details. They haven't had issues. They were very comfortable with travel. One of the hotels we use for work on a consistent basis uses one floor and one wing for us and regular pets. They also close off the doors at night to keep any noise to a minimum. I've also asked housekeeping for a vacuum and kept my room in order. Not every dog has accidents.
I'd think that people who are spending money to take their pets know them well enough. I don't think people would spend all that extra money to have a miserable pet. It is also a good thing that TWDC is giving out waste pickup bags. There should be no excuse for not picking up after their dogs. If there are designated empty areas, there shouldn't be too many surprises in the common areas. You aren't going to see dogs laying on the pool deck or hanging out in restaurants. The fact that they are charging extra leads me to believe that there will be extra cleaning built in to those rooms. Time will tell.

The difference is your K9s are well trained, have been through events and various situations that gives you the knowledge that they are stable and trustworthy. As a professional trainer, I know my dogs would also be able to handle a "Disney vacation." But I also know the majority of people that have dogs have poor control over them and when under stress in an unfamiliar environment, will be more likely to be disruptive.
Passing out waste bags will not ensure they will be used. And what about dogs urinating along the way as they are being walked to designated areas. If you ever travelled the show circuit as I have, youll find some irresponsible owners that dont clean up after their dogs and these are supposed to be dog owners who know better. The last time DW and I were at WDW her Service Dog used the designated areas and we found many stools left unbagged and disposed of by others. I'm sure this came from the many fake service dog owners we encountered in the parks, and I will bet there will be an increase of fake service dogs brought when guests see they will be paying a $50 fee for their dogs that are not allowed in food areas and parks.
Disneys policy says dogs can be left in rooms 7 hours.... How can Disney be assured that guest having a full park day with ADRs and FPs will focus on that 7 hour limit? And if a dog is disruptive they will contact guests who must respond within 30 minutes. There are many spots in the parks and attractions that cell phones do not work. And if contacted, it will take much longer to leave a park, and return to a resort.... I've waited over 30 minutes just for a bus to show up.
There are many on the forum who think this will work. Time will tell, but I'm not confident that there are enough well mannered dogs or responsible dog owners that will follow the rules. Just look at the many other rules/policies that guests disregard.

EOD K9

@JIMINYCR You bring up a lot of good points. Urination on the way to an empty area sometimes cant be helped. It does amaze me though how some people wont bag waste. If you are given the bags, there isn't an excuse. If they empty on a walkway, pick it up!
And you're right about the 7 hours. Its not a long time, but it can be disturbing to others. God forbid if you are at your once in a lifetime ADR, are you (not You, the public) going to leave it to care for your companion when Disney calls? Probably not. Again, I'd like to think that people who are bringing them would be responsible, but you'll have a mix I'm sure.

DLR92

I also have 2 cats. When we moved, one of the cats was traumatized for an entire year! She literally hid in a closet for the first year we lived in our new house. I even took her to the vet because I was so worried about her. And the car ride to our new house... I had her in a carrier in the front seat of the car, then I ran back in the old house for something, came back out and she had managed to push herself out of the car and onto the sidewalk, while she was still in the carrier. Cats don't like change. Good news is we've been in our house 2 years now and she is back to normal.

That awesome to hear your cat regaining back to her normal behavior. Gosh sometime I wish I had a cat that was brave. I remember watching a famous cat on Instagram being very chill in the car headboard. When I put my cats in the car, they see death in their eyes. LOL

NelleBelle

Excellent point about fleas!!! I have seen so many a dog owner not pick up after their dog that it's shameful! Personally, while our dog has is very well trained (she's taking classes to be a therapy dog), I would never leave her in a room alone for so long. I'd almost rather leave her in the Kennels at WDW where I know they would take her out for bathroom breaks. Good point about the fireworks, which got me thinking about how some dogs really hate thunder storms! What happens then when Florida's famous t-storms pop-up and Fifi goes nuts? Will be interesting to see how all this is handled.

DanielleOG

Something else I thought of...This was a very unexpected announcement and there will be families staying in one of those four resorts that now won't want to but already have their reservation. The problem is, AoA is kind of in its own category. So, now what? You want to be switched to a different resort but the all stars and pop century are lower level values...and AoA isn't quite up there with the moderates. Where do they move that family to? And, are they obligated to do so at no extra cost?

Tony the Tigger

I suspect the seven hour rule will change. It’s unusual, industrywide. Most hotels at least claim you aren’t supposed to leave your pet unattended. Of course, that’s kind of ridiculous, also – why would you stay in a hotel, if you’re never going to leave the room?

Regarding “leaving them trapped in a room and being cruel“ – when we stay in a pet friendly hotel offsite, we bring our dog to Best Friends Pet Care during the day. This will be no different, so calm down.

Disney can encourage that by offering discounts, one free day for the dog at Best Friends Pet Care, half price for length of stay, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom