What park to go to on New Years Eve?

BFiggy

Original Poster
I will be in Orlando on New Years Eve and I've never be to WDW during the holidays. I have two 16 year olds and was wondering which would be the best park to spend the day and night in. We can only be there for one day:( and have been there many times before. Can't wait:sohappy:

David S.

I haven't been to Epcot on NYE, being as MK is my fave park and always picked MK. So while I can't really answer the question, I did want to give my thoughts on the crowd situation. That is, IMO, the horror stories that you hear about the crowds are actually not that bad if you have a good strategy and know how to handle the crowds.

People often complain about the crowds on New Years Eve, but I've been to MK now for 3 years in a row on New Years Eve and had a fantastic time. In fact, my single-day MK record for most attractions experienced in a day was on New Years Eve!

The trick is to get there bright and early when the park opens. Not only will you then not have to worry about getting shut out because the park hit capacity, but you'll also have the park pretty much to yourself the first couple of hours! The effect is like surfing a wave of walk-ons and one can get much more done the first two hours than one could do in two mid-day hours. You can also start collecting Fastpasses early while they still have quick return times, and save them for later in the day or at night when the park is a zoo.

When the park is jam-packed with people after the first few hours, you've already gotten many of the attractions in, and can relax and enjoy things like the TTA, Riverboat, CoP, Railroad, Tom Sawyer Island, Country Bear Jamboree, Tiki Room, etc., which still won't have humongous waits even on this busiest of days. It's also a great day to see the Christmas parade twice since it's the final 2 performances until next year.

I've never NOT been able to do every attraction in the MK on New Years Eve by getting there early, and also have always been able to do the entire Christmas-themed entertainment package.

I absolutely love the Fantasy In the Sky fireworks show, where Mickey and the gang count down to the New Year complete with numbers in the sky. It's also a good night to catch the last performance until next season of Holiday Wishes.

As soon as the fireworks are over, the masses head for the exit, but the rides stay open until 2AM (at least that was the closing time the last 3 years). So I celebrate the New Year by getting my first rides of the New Year on several favorites. Rides which had HUGE lines just a few hours earlier are often total walk-ons the last hour. Usually by the time the park has closed I've not only experienced EVERY attraction in the park at least once, but had time for ENCORES on at least my TOP HALF of the park's attractions. All of this done at a leisurely pace thanks to being on time for morning rope drop and the magic of Fastpass. If Fastpass did not exist, the huge crowds in the park would likely negate much of the time advantage gained by such a long operating day. But with Fastpass, the sheer volume of operating hours in the day allows for more to be experienced than on a 9AM - 8PM day in January with relatively no crowds in the park.

After lingering on Main Street to savor the atmosphere and beautiful Christmas music loop, I usually board the ferry or monorail around 3 AM after a long but very satisfying day!

CAPTAIN HOOK

Whichever park you choose to visit make sure you're there before 10am or face being shut out,

If you're there for the entire day then rule out AK as it closes before midnight. Of the other three think which parl will provide you with the most things to do, Rides will be packed by mid morning and lines at several hours long.

For us last year the choice was simple - EPCOT. We visited MK on Dec 30th and enjoyed their NYE celebrations a day early. EPCOT has the most space and seems to cope with the crowds the best - that said, the areas all around the lagoon were chaotic beyond 8pm.

Enjoy

MarkTwain

MK has a New Years Celebration on the night of the 30th?

Is it the same as the one on the 31st?:shrug::xmas:

Haha yep, this is the show we catch every year - just as good as the New Years Show, but without all the crowds! :xmas: We go into the MK on the 30th, eat a celebratory dinner, catch the New Years fireworks, and use the EMH until 3am.

Then we celebrate the actual New Years at the party at the Grand Floridian (without even staying there :p). They hand out hats and noise makers, a jazz band plays from eleven to midnight, they set up a dance floor in the lobby, and at midnight they drop balloons from the ceiling and the band plays Auld Lang Syne (sp?). Then we go outside and watch the end of the Magic Kingdom fireworks.

It's become our holiday tradition!

wdwmom2+1

What about new years day?

We will be at animal kingdon on new years eve (not trying to stay till midnight with 3 small kiddos)

on new years day we plan on being at MGM any ideas what it is like on new years day??

We've been to parks when they are at capacity before and know it can get busy but never been on new years day.

PhotoDave219

The 16-year-old will probably enjoy the Studios - as it was Teen central last year.

The adults would probably prefer Epcot as there's a copious amount of libations.

Fireworks wise.... For the firework junkie in all of us .... I love the Holiday Tag of Illuminations more than the NYE fireworks at Epcot. Last year Illum was at 730p and i missed it as they did the tag. But show wise, i really prefer the MK NYE show, only its missing one key NYE ingredient, unless you're watching from outside the park.

CAPTAIN HOOK

We will be at animal kingdon on new years eve (not trying to stay till midnight with 3 small kiddos)

on new years day we plan on being at MGM any ideas what it is like on new years day??

We went Jan 1st this year and it was packed !!!! We arrived during the morning EMH and the line for Toy Story Mania was nearly an hour long then - I stood in line for TSM Fast Passes for about 25 mins :eek:

TimNRA757

Could NYE be that much worse than the 4th of July crowd wise??? I've never been to WDW for either holiday until this last Independence Day and that was absolutely nuts!

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
Could NYE be that much worse than the 4th of July crowd wise??? I've never been to WDW for either holiday until this last Independence Day and that was absolutely nuts!

Haha it sure was, but, what AMAZING fireworks :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

juan

I plan on heading to Epcot on NYE with my gf for more of the parties and "liquid" festivities.

:king:

EPCOT Explorer

The 16-year-old will probably enjoy the Studios - as it was Teen central last year.

The adults would probably prefer Epcot as there's a copious amount of libations.

Fireworks wise.... For the firework junkie in all of us .... I love the Holiday Tag of Illuminations more than the NYE fireworks at Epcot. Last year Illum was at 730p and i missed it as they did the tag. But show wise, i really prefer the MK NYE show, only its missing one key NYE ingredient, unless you're watching from outside the park.

What do they do in DHS for NYE? SitS over the BAH?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom