What makes you sad at Disney World

wiigirl

The last dinner... :(
75.gif

plaz10

wishing I had a career with wdw. things (money, family, ect) just kept it from being a possibility to move for me.

I think about that all the time. Like..."This is my calling, I could be happy to go to work every day." And know that I probably won't have the chance to do so for quite a few years (since my fiance's medical residency runs our lives and picks our location).

SulleyanBoo

I think about that all the time. Like..."This is my calling, I could be happy to go to work every day." And know that I probably won't have the chance to do so for quite a few years (since my fiance's medical residency runs our lives and picks our location).
Yes! That is how I feel. My fiance's job is here. I did get to do a Disney College Program term which was AMAZING. For now, we just visit and it is still just a dream. But who knows, maybe one day :)

ddbowdoin

One of my cheerleaders passed away when she was 12. Every time I walk into rockin roller coaster I remember her thinking the marble doors were the coolest. I still reach over and roll them each time I go.

Disney does this to a lot of people... I mean, how many times have we come across someone on the board who lost a spouse and can't return anymore. A lot of memories are forged in these places

ddbowdoin

Yes! That is how I feel. My fiance's job is here. I did get to do a Disney College Program term which was AMAZING. For now, we just visit and it is still just a dream. But who knows, maybe one day :)

There isn't a DAY that this doesn't cross my mind... I know a lot of people talk about the magic being ruined as a CM, and obviously I can't speak to that but I am fairly confident that it simply wouldn't be an issue for me.

Disney is a really funky place, they grow from within from their own talent. I think I have a fairly strong corporate resume and there is no way I could walk into a corporate job. What kills me here in Boston with family and friend is the power of perception. People see my title and the field I work in and assume I'm making a ton of money, but that isn't the reality. My wife is a teacher, so together we are barely middle class. With that in mind I still don't think I could make a CM wage work for us in FL. They make sub 10 dollars, I haven't earned that kind of money since high school.

It's frustrating as all hell.

Here's what I think of Boston:

EXPENSIVE
COST OF LIVING (HOUSING) IS CRAZY EXPENSIVE - 250K GETS YOU A SHACK HERE THAT NEEDS 60 GRAND IN WORK
SNOW
RUDE PEOPLE
SNOW

DisneySaint

They make sub 10 dollars, I haven't earned that kind of money since high school.

Why do you think I had to move on? I had dreamt the dream AND lived it; but there's a choice you have to make between eternal apartment living and ramen noodles and being a homeowner able to raise a family. It's a devastating choice to have to make, but it's a choice nonetheless.

ddbowdoin

Why do you think I had to move on? I had dreamt the dream AND lived it; but there's a choice you have to make between eternal apartment living and ramen noodles and being a homeowner able to raise a family. It's a devastating choice to have to make, but it's a choice nonetheless.

I'm with you... we're a young couple, my wife is even younger at 24. She's in graduate school and who knows how her career will pan out. I'd rather make less money and be happy doing what I do but I'm with you on the whole home/family front. We want those things and unfortunately I'll likely to have keep on the grind to make those things a reality

SulleyanBoo

There isn't a DAY that this doesn't cross my mind... I know a lot of people talk about the magic being ruined as a CM, and obviously I can't speak to that but I am fairly confident that it simply wouldn't be an issue for me.

Disney is a really funky place, they grow from within from their own talent. I think I have a fairly strong corporate resume and there is no way I could walk into a corporate job. What kills me here in Boston with family and friend is the power of perception. People see my title and the field I work in and assume I'm making a ton of money, but that isn't the reality. My wife is a teacher, so together we are barely middle class. With that in mind I still don't think I could make a CM wage work for us in FL. They make sub 10 dollars, I haven't earned that kind of money since high school.

Yes, the reality of it all is so crummy. And, for some people I guess the magic is "ruined" by working there.. but for me, not at all. I felt the magic even more at times because I was creating it :)

What really sucks is there are a lot of CM's in regular hourly jobs up to managerial roles that simply don't even believe in the magic and just want their paycheck. I am not living in a fantasy world where I truly believe that everyone at Disney World would love their job just as much as me for all the reasons (especially with 65,000 cast members) but, it just sucks because when I encounter a CM looking misarable, rude, emotionless ect..I want to say to them " do you know how luck you are?!" But, for some of them it is merely a paycheck like I said.

For me, my dream is to have a role in guest relations or be a lodging or attractions manager. ahhh that would be so amazing. My job would mean so much to me. I would feel that it would be my duty to be one little part of carrying out Walt Disney's dream. I have the passion and expereince. But, location, life, and money won't allow it.

Like I said, and ill say it to all of you who feel the same, keep the dream alive because you never know what the future holds. And, for now just keep going to Disney :p

NebraskaMinnie

I'm terrible at quoting but what DisneyGirl3820 said above is so close to my own.

I'm a teacher and sometimes I will find myself thinking when I'm there about some of the students I work with that won't have the opportunity to have the WDW experience. For me its a magical place and brings me so much joy and I suppose I just wish everyone had better access to vacationing there. (Although kudos to WDW as I think they are trying to offer some more affordable packages lately- if you can do the special prices and free dining it is really becoming easier to afford and yet realistically I know there are plenty of folks that can't afford it.)

Other than that its really hard to find much to be sad about there other than your vacation ending.

ddbowdoin

Yes, the reality of it all is so crummy. And, for some people I guess the magic is "ruined" by working there.. but for me, not at all. I felt the magic even more at times because I was creating it :)

What really sucks is there are a lot of CM's in regular hourly jobs up to managerial roles that simply don't even believe in the magic and just want their paycheck. I am not living in a fantasy world where I truly believe that everyone at Disney World would love their job just as much as me for all the reasons (especially with 65,000 cast members) but, it just sucks because when I encounter a CM looking misarable, rude, emotionless ect..I want to say to them " do you know how luck you are?!" But, for some of them it is merely a paycheck like I said.

For me, my dream is to have a role in guest relations or be a lodging or attractions manager. ahhh that would be so amazing. My job would mean so much to me. I would feel that it would be my duty to be one little part of carrying out Walt Disney's dream. I have the passion and expereince. But, location, life, and money won't allow it.

Like I said, and ill say it to all of you who feel the same, keep the dream alive because you never know what the future holds. And, for now just keep going to Disney :p

I know what you mean, pretty sad huh?

I tried to convince myself I'd be ok doing something I wasn't all that passionate about, I'm 27 and the engine is really low of gas these days.

I have no idea where I'll be in a few years, but working my way up the chain at WDW would be my ideal spot.

SulleyanBoo

I know what you mean, pretty sad huh?

I have no idea where I'll be in a few years, but working my way up the chain at WDW would be my ideal spot.

Couldn't have said it better myself! I will be 24 this month.
I say that Disney should seriously consider coming onto this forum and offer jobs to all the active members that want it (with good pay;)) lol. I mean who better to work there?!

ddbowdoin

Couldn't have said it better myself! I will be 24 this month.
I say that Disney should seriously consider coming onto this forum and offer jobs to all the active members that want it (with good pay;)) lol. I mean who better to work there?!

I'd probably say we'd have family here, main reason keeping us here...

Florida

NO SNOW
NO INCOME TAX
CHEAP HOMES, ESP WHERE I'M FROM

now, just finding work lol

SulleyanBoo

I'd probably say we'd have family here, main reason keeping us here...

Florida

NO SNOW
NO INCOME TAX
CHEAP HOMES, ESP WHERE I'M FROM

now, just finding work lol

lol. keep the dream alive. You never know what opportunities can lie ahead. I understand about the family part completely. Home prices are decent here to me.

Scooter

Saying good bye to the Gorrillas at the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail in Disney's Animal Kingdom always makes me sad. :(

rsoxguy

Not necessarily sad, but I'm troubled when I see people in the parks who are unhappy or angry. They spend a ton of money, travel, and go to such a wonderful place in order to be as miserable as they are at home. It just gets me thinking that joy is a matter of the heart, and some people's hearts are set in darkness. Troubling.

HDS

That last look down Main St. makes me sad
And every time I ride the current Imagination ride, I so miss the old one.

MacVenture

Watching my kids, ages 7, 5, and 4, say goodbye to the grandparents at WDW :( It always break my heart to see my son, 7, upset about Nanny leaving.

Since we live in Maryland, my kids only get to see their grandparents once a year unless we visit WDW. Our trips to WDW always include the grandparents. The kids are always so surprised to see them, even though they KNOW the grandparents will be there at WDW based on past experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom