What Makes a "Real" Fan?

IMFearless

I think Disney is a bit like religion - people may practice the same religion in all different ways but everyone gets out of it what is important to them. Some go to church, some never do.

I'm not religious at all personally, but I can see similarities in what I get from Disney and what others get from religion.

For me, it's about being able to be a part of something which is able to bring people together, brings joy to people from many backgrounds, teaches messages which have positive influence over the audience. Somehow Disney has the ability to dilute what is negative in life. To me the parks and resorts bring a sense of community to the table. It's a place where you can feel accepted and accepting of others. For me it is not so much about escaping reality, quite the opposite, it is about being reassured that reality can be okay.

BrownEyedGrrl

I think we live in a culture where you're not considered a "fan" unless you're a crazy obsessed superfan. But the definition of the word is "ardent admirer or enthusiast", so if we're getting technical, then someone who just enjoys something greatly should be good enough to nab the title of fan. No need to name your kids Huey, Dewey, and Louie (did I misspell those? probably did, but who cares- I know I'm still a Disney fan ;) ), or have Tinkerbell tats or a hidden Mickey arch cut into your living room doorway. I think another thing is that some people like Disney movies, but have never been to any of the theme parks. They can still be a "Disney fan". Some people like Disney movies, but are mostly geeked by the parks. That's okay, they can still be a "Disney fan". If they don't like Disney movies, and don't like the amusement parks, and don't like the characters, and so on, then no, not a fan. But for the most part, to each their own. I know a ridiculous amount about WDW, more than I probably should know when those spaces in my brain could be occupying more regularly useful info. But I'm okay with other "fans" just enjoying the rides and not knowing every unnecessary detail about the mechanics of it like I do. Some people really enjoy the wonder of the magic, and don't need to be able to write a book on it. They're still fans. ;)

JIMINYCR

Theres lots of levels of fans and anyone can be a fan without an extensive knowledge of Disney but MY criteria of a true fan is one who ....
Knows the history and backgrounds of Walt & Roy.
Can talk about the struggles they went through to get DL & WDW started.
Can name all the WDW & DL parks and their major attractions.
Can name the resorts and knows which ones are on the monorail loop.
Is knowledgable about DDP, FP+, ADR's, MDE, DME, MB, and other Disney features.
Knows who Eisner was and who Iger is.
Has Disney memorabilia in their homes and workplace.
Has a host of Disney music at their fingertips.
Has Disney sites bookmarked and visits them
Can name endless Disney characters and the films they appear in.
Perks up immediately at the mention of Disney or anything connected to Disney.
Gets excited about any minuscule piece of Disney news.
Has a next trip always in mind and is planning one either for real or in fantasy.
Cant get through a 24 hour period without something Disney entering their mind.

jaklgreen

There are some criteria I think should be part of any equation. They are mix-n-match

Hours spent watching Disney product/movie
Hours spent on holiday, dedicated to Disney
Dollars spent on any of the above
Hours spent discussing Disney

Platinum Level Fan

150 - Hours spent watching Disney product/movie
600 - Hours spend on holiday, dedicated to Disney
30,000 - Dollars spent on any of the above
500 - Hours spent discussing Disney

Gold Level Fan

120 - Hours spent watching Disney product/movie
500 - Hours spend on holiday, dedicated to Disney
20,000 - Dollars spent on any of the above
400 - Hours spent discussing Disney

Silver Level Fan

90 - Hours spent watching Disney product/movie
400 - Hours spend on holiday, dedicated to Disney
10,000 - Dollars spent on any of the above
300 - Hours spent discussing Disney

Bronze

70 - Hours spent watching Disney product/movie
300 - Hours spend on holiday, dedicated to Disney
8,000 - Dollars spent on any of the above
200 - Hours spent discussing Disney

Rookie

50 - Hours spent watching Disney product/movie
0 - Hours spend on holiday, dedicated to Disney
1000 - Dollars spent on any of the above
100 - Hours spent discussing Disney

Woot! I'm platinum. LOL

jaklgreen

I think we need to separate general Disney with Disney Parks. I love going to WDW(any any other Disney park if I can get there), it is my happy place. I am not "all out Disney" with decorating my house and constantly watching all things Disney. Although I do love most of the Disney movies. My specific fan status is aimed at the parks. I have been going for over 20 years and probably could have bought a house with the amount I have spent there. I also love the Disney cruise. What I do not understand is what you are talking about, the people who come to a Disney fan site and primarily just bash Disney. I don't know why a person would waste all of that time on something that makes them angry or upset. There are some things that I wish Disney did differently but it is no where near the level of anger or resentment. When I think of going to WDW I smile. Every single time.

KCheatle

In the most basic sense, I think there are many, many fans of Disney. I would say just about any American who grew up at any time from the 1920s to today at some point watched a Disney TV show or movie that they loved. And, I know that that market and population has grown and spread worldwide.

As far as a "real fan" of WDW, when I read the title, I assumed you meant the difference between someone who seeks out a WDW Forum like this one so they never feel too far away from WDW and someone who just goes to WDW and happens to have a good time. I think there is a distinction between people who enjoy WDW (or DL for that matter), and the people who come home from the trip depressed and immediately start planning the next one, or post on Disney forums the number of days until their next trip, or have scarified big ticket items to pay for their next vacay (even when they know they probably should be spending the $$ elsewhere). I'm not sure where the line is drawn or whether it's more of a "where on the level of Disney fandom do you fall" but I would say a "real fan" of WDW is a person who feels like they've escaped the world when they go to WDW, and comes home wanting to do what they can to preserve that feeling --whether it's coming on here and discussing opinions on WDW (whether that's complaints, or opinions, or just chit chat), listening to park music loops or podcasts, looking at pictures, etc. -- I feel like those are the "real fans."

DfromATX

Theres lots of levels of fans and anyone can be a fan without an extensive knowledge of Disney but MY criteria of a true fan is one who ....
Knows the history and backgrounds of Walt & Roy.
Can talk about the struggles they went through to get DL & WDW started.
Can name all the WDW & DL parks and their major attractions.
Can name the resorts and knows which ones are on the monorail loop.
Is knowledgable about DDP, FP+, ADR's, MDE, DME, MB, and other Disney features.
Knows who Eisner was and who Iger is.
Has Disney memorabilia in their homes and workplace.
Has a host of Disney music at their fingertips.
Has Disney sites bookmarked and visits them
Can name endless Disney characters and the films they appear in.
Perks up immediately at the mention of Disney or anything connected to Disney.
Gets excited about any minuscule piece of Disney news.
Has a next trip always in mind and is planning one either for real or in fantasy.
Cant get through a 24 hour period without something Disney entering their mind.

Wow, I pass most of those! I just don't know the backgrounds of Walt and Roy or their struggles.

21stamps

I love Disney the parks, but there's a lot I don't know. That doesn't mean I'm any less of a fan. I did go see Beauty and the Beast, but I hardly see any of the new animated movies. Just not my thing. I think anyone who spends on time here is probably a fan. Most "normal" people (even other Disney fans) don't do that. :p
I didn't see Beauty and the Beast. Is my fan card revoked? ;)

DfromATX

I didn't see Beauty and the Beast. Is my fan card revoked? ;)

Neh, but you should see it. It was really good! I took my son and his girlfriend to see it for his 21st birthday. Yes, I realize that sounds strange, a 21 year old guy seeing a movie with his mother when most probably go out drinking, but oh well. He probably did it to make me happy and he's a Disney fan too. He grew up watching B&TB, Little Mermaid, Lion King, etc...

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
This is a cool comment.
Quit pulling my chain
41y8mxgJUeL._SY355_.jpg

tl77

I'm a fan of the "sensibility" of the films and park attractions developed by Walt Disney (the man) and is original group of animators and Imagineers, anything Marc Davis and Claude Coats worked on, or that Buddy Baker, George Bruns, and the Sherman Brothers wrote music for, to me "feels like Disney" to me. I also think the 2nd generation of people who came along in the 70's though to the late 90's, guys like Tony Baxter in Imagineering and Glen Keane in animation, made an effort carry on what Walt Disney and his original group of people started.

I don't dislike the new stuff though, but the new "Pete's Dragon" movie is a very different type of entertainment than the original musical version of "Pete's Dragon" from the 1970's, and that version of the dragon still appears in the Main Street Electrical parade. Disney's stuff is popular all over the world so I don't see the point in re-inventing it, that just seems to create problems they don't need to create. I think I would have rather seen an "original" movie, with the same tone as the new "Pete's Dragon" instead.

Walt Disney didn't believe in making sequels, he believed in being original and putting original content out into the market place. His version of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" is not the Grimm Brother's version, his amusement park wasn't like all the other amusement parks of the time... I don't know that I'll be taking my grand kids on the Guardians of the Galaxy ride coming to Epcot, because I don't know that it will still be there in 20 years. If someone had built a state-of-the-art attraction based on the extremely successful "Batman" film Tim Burton and Micheal Keaton made in 1989, I don't know that it would still be state-of-the-art, or something that kids today care about... isn't that the reason they're getting rid of The Great Movie Ride? But I'll probably still be able to take the grand kids on "it's a small world" because the people who made it cared enough to create something original, that would stand the test of time, not something driven by "opening weekend box office". Most of those "classic" Disney movies didn't make much profit when they we first released, because they we treated more like "art" than "commerce" by the people making them... and that's what I'm a fan of

I am Timmy

What if your poor and only get to watch what's offered on broadcast tv, have no money to buy merch or visit the parks and no internet to discuss Disney on. And no one in your life who cares to talk about Disney. Does that make someone more of a fan because they have the financial means. Is tom cruise a bigger fan because he got to stay in Cinderella castle. You can still be a huge fan, bigger than a sucker with an open wallet
What?! Tom Cruise got to stay in Cinderella's Castle?! That offends me, even if I have no right to be offended. Did he at least have to pay for it?!

Victoria Lytles

II went to the park in the 70's. Quite a bit. Stayed in the original Contemporary and Polynesian hotels as well as what was called the Golf Resort back then. I rode/saw everything except Space Mountain because my mom wouldn't let me. Went to the Luau and HoopDeeDoo reviews. Then I got older, didn't visit in the 80's or 90's because I was interested in other activity's It was easier, there was only one park. I did make it to Epcot in 83/84 which was special because it was the last time I got to go with my Grandmother. I've kept up with the new rides/attractions/hotels. I moved to Tampa in 2002 and have been to all 4 parks now. I even worked for Disney Reservations for a few years but I still don't go to the parks that much. I consider myself a fan. Even though my experiences are older than probably most people on this site and can tell you about attractions/rides that no longer exist better than I can talk about the new Frozen or Pandora rides doesn't mean that I'm less of a fan than someone who goes every week.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom