What Makes a "Real" Fan?

KBLovedDisney

Definitely! I'd think it fair to put planning into the discussion category.
Depends on how you plan ;) Mine is no discussion required. The hubs lets me plan as I please, I am talking spreadsheet making because I am a geek. I go through several different ones, changing each multiple times until I find an itinerary I am happy with. He tells me it relieves him of any stress for the trips and I am so cool with that.:cool:

Driver

So many good post, my summary is (and I think it was mentioned) there are different levels and regardless which level your at it doesn't make you a greater or lesser fan than the next guy. Personally i love it so much I relocated and became a CM. In my off hours (you guessed it) I visit the parks. My DW on the other hand couldn't care less and often I go alone. Funny thing though on a few occasions I've been out of state (out of FL) and people find out I'm a CM they will gush " oh I love Disney" and try to extract info from me. And the conversation sometimes goes amuck because in many cases they have very little knowledge of Disney. I'm not judging it just makes me giggle inside that you claimed to "love Disney" and have little or no knowledge of it. If a CM is in costume guest like to get our ear and talk shop. I welcome this because I enjoy what I do and that's why I participate on this forum. But in the same breath I don't want to say I'm a better fan than the next guy because really I don't know what's in their heart.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
There are some criteria I think should be part of any equation. They are mix-n-match

Hours spent watching Disney product/movie
Hours spent on holiday, dedicated to Disney
Dollars spent on any of the above
Hours spent discussing Disney

Platinum Level Fan

150 - Hours spent watching Disney product/movie
600 - Hours spend on holiday, dedicated to Disney
30,000 - Dollars spent on any of the above
500 - Hours spent discussing Disney

Gold Level Fan

120 - Hours spent watching Disney product/movie
500 - Hours spend on holiday, dedicated to Disney
20,000 - Dollars spent on any of the above
400 - Hours spent discussing Disney

Silver Level Fan

90 - Hours spent watching Disney product/movie
400 - Hours spend on holiday, dedicated to Disney
10,000 - Dollars spent on any of the above
300 - Hours spent discussing Disney

Bronze

70 - Hours spent watching Disney product/movie
300 - Hours spend on holiday, dedicated to Disney
8,000 - Dollars spent on any of the above
200 - Hours spent discussing Disney

Rookie

50 - Hours spent watching Disney product/movie
0 - Hours spend on holiday, dedicated to Disney
1000 - Dollars spent on any of the above
100 - Hours spent discussing Disney
I think you're over-thinking it, but... sure, why not?

correcaminos

There are some criteria I think should be part of any equation. They are mix-n-match

Hours spent watching Disney product/movie
Hours spent on holiday, dedicated to Disney
Dollars spent on any of the above
Hours spent discussing Disney

Platinum Level Fan

150 - Hours spent watching Disney product/movie
600 - Hours spend on holiday, dedicated to Disney
30,000 - Dollars spent on any of the above
500 - Hours spent discussing Disney

Gold Level Fan

120 - Hours spent watching Disney product/movie
500 - Hours spend on holiday, dedicated to Disney
20,000 - Dollars spent on any of the above
400 - Hours spent discussing Disney

Silver Level Fan

90 - Hours spent watching Disney product/movie
400 - Hours spend on holiday, dedicated to Disney
10,000 - Dollars spent on any of the above
300 - Hours spent discussing Disney

Bronze

70 - Hours spent watching Disney product/movie
300 - Hours spend on holiday, dedicated to Disney
8,000 - Dollars spent on any of the above
200 - Hours spent discussing Disney

Rookie

50 - Hours spent watching Disney product/movie
0 - Hours spend on holiday, dedicated to Disney
1000 - Dollars spent on any of the above
100 - Hours spent discussing Disney
I think your numbers are a little low. Platinum should be higher ;)

Seriously though there is a difference between being a fan and being knowledgeable about something. A fan has a love for something, but they may not always know as much as those who are kind of geeky about it all.

jloucks

What if your poor and only get to watch what's offered on broadcast tv, have no money to buy merch or visit the parks and no internet to discuss Disney on. And no one in your life who cares to talk about Disney. Does that make someone more of a fan because they have the financial means. Is tom cruise a bigger fan because he got to stay in Cinderella castle. You can still be a huge fan, bigger than a sucker with an open wallet

Well, sacrifice plays a part of the equation somewhere. Probably the biggest part? But, you have a point, Tom Cruise is an unfair benchmark for 99% of people.

Oh, and watching Disney on TV counts! Actually, lol, it counts more because you sacrifice time for commercials! :p

Jedi Stitch

Or how about this? BTW, finger tats hurt like the Dickens!
full

And I have a hidden Mickey too! (In the star cluster.)

When I get home from Disney, I immediately start planning my next trip. Think that qualifies me as a fan I believe.
I agree Tatoos are a plus to a level.

HonorableMention

I don't understand the need to have levels or requirements to be a fan. It's not some exclusive club that's only open to people who have spent x amount of dollars on Disney.

The thing that bugs me the most is the idea that you're not a fan if you don't visit the parks often. There are plenty of people who don't have the means to travel around the country/world but still love the parks and everything they stand for. I haven't been as many times as a lot of people on this forum, but I consider myself a knowledgeable and big fan.

There's no punch-card saying "Hey, you're a real fan now!" just because this is your tenth visit.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I don't understand the need to have levels or requirements to be a fan. It's not some exclusive club that's only open to people who have spent x amount of dollars on Disney.

The thing that bugs me the most is the idea that you're not a fan if you don't visit the parks often. There are plenty of people who don't have the means to travel around the country/world but still love the parks and everything they stand for. I haven't been as many times as a lot of people on this forum, but I consider myself a knowledgeable and big fan.

There's no punch-card saying "Hey, you're a real fan now!" just because this is your tenth visit.
Dang, i was hoping to get that this visit :(

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Or how about this? BTW, finger tats hurt like the Dickens!
full

And I have a hidden Mickey too! (In the star cluster.)

When I get home from Disney, I immediately start planning my next trip. Think that qualifies me as a fan I believe.
Hidden Mickeys in Tattoos are soo uncool ;)

DfromATX

I love Disney the parks, but there's a lot I don't know. That doesn't mean I'm any less of a fan. I did go see Beauty and the Beast, but I hardly see any of the new animated movies. Just not my thing. I think anyone who spends on time here is probably a fan. Most "normal" people (even other Disney fans) don't do that. :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom