What is your prediction on when we will see Dining Plans come back?

Tomi-Rocket

Maybe think of other bc it has destroyed the quality of the food and ended up with dudes in wide beaters at sig places? Or is it all about you.

That’s simply your opinion about the food quality. We have rarely had a bad meal anywhere.

And there are all kinds of inappropriately dressed people all over the 4 parks, not just in the signature places. As for those, you can blame Disney for their lack of a dress code not the dining plan.

Hockey89

That’s simply your opinion about the food quality. We have rarely had a bad meal anywhere.

And there are all kinds of inappropriately dressed people all over the 4 parks, not just in the signature places. As for those, you can blame Disney for their lack of a dress code not the dining plan.
No, It’s a fact. The food quality has declined since DDP. It’s not even open for debate. I can tell you something else people didn’t dress like losers at sig places until DDP hit. It has only got worse. If you take the YM Steakhouse, it’s gone from a very very good steakhouse to the 99 with dudes in wide beaters.

Rob562

Prices have definitely increased faster than overall inflation. Using archived copies of AllEars menus, I looked up the Yachtsman in 2007 vs today. (I would have preferred a pre-2004 menu which was about when the modern DDP was introduced, but it was the oldest I could get)

In 2007, the 12oz New York Strip was $36. Adjusted for inflation that should be about $46 today. (calculated via Bureau of Labor & Statistics) That's a 27% increase.

In February of this year, that same steak was priced at $53, or a 47% increase over the price in 2007.

Is the steak today worth that extra 20% vs what it was 13 years ago? Or are they continually adjusting menu prices upward to make the DDP appear to be worth it, thereby penalizing those not on the plan?

-Rob

nickys

Premium Member
You can add the dining plan to UK bookings for next year. Certainly for bookings for May onwards, possibly before.

That statement comes with a caveat that I didn’t complete the booking but I did get as far as entering everyone’s names, so past the selection pages and the total holiday cost page.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I hope not. The contracted rate of reimbursement per meal for each meal served is too low and usually covers the entire menu. To keep the locations profit margins, the prices are raised and the quality is decreased so to the DDP participant the apparent 'value' is increased, but for the cash customers it's decreased.

Hcalvert

You can add the dining plan to UK bookings for next year. Certainly for bookings for May onwards, possibly before.

That statement comes with a caveat that I didn’t complete the booking but I did get as far as entering everyone’s names, so past the selection pages and the total holiday cost page.
I had a look on the UK site and did not see where you add the dining plan. I tried May and June. Maybe it was a glitch?

nickys

Premium Member
I had a look on the UK site and did not see where you add the dining plan. I tried May and June. Maybe it was a glitch?
Just tried again, no dining plan option. It was definitely there when I tried last week, but I guess they would have cancelled it.

I know it took the UK site almost a week to start selling packages and tickets for 2021 after they opened up in the US. So maybe they were still updating their systems.

Hcalvert

Just tried again, no dining plan option. It was definitely there when I tried last week, but I guess they would have cancelled it.

I know it took the UK site almost a week to start selling packages and tickets for 2021 after they opened up in the US. So maybe they were still updating their systems.
I figured that was the case. I only care as my brother will only go with my nieces and nephews if they can get the dining plan (preferably free, which is more doubtful then the DDP coming back). With four kids (2 being counted as adults), it is worth it for him.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes

Just because you've rarely had a bad meal doesn't mean the food quality and dining experience has declined drastically over the years. *I'VE* never had a bad meal at Disney either but I've had PLENTY of "meh" meals where the "value" does not equal the price I paid regardless of being on the DDP.

I remember when there used to be prime rib on buffets, now it's roast beef. There used to be molded butter. Dress code was enforced at signature restaurants. etc etc etc.

Perceived value by guests is what keeps the DDP going. Disney makes hella-profit which is why they keep it around.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Is the steak today worth that extra 20% vs what it was 13 years ago? Or are they continually adjusting menu prices upward to make the DDP appear to be worth it, thereby penalizing those not on the plan?

-Rob
^^ this.

Phonedave

Just because you've rarely had a bad meal doesn't mean the food quality and dining experience has declined drastically over the years. *I'VE* never had a bad meal at Disney either but I've had PLENTY of "meh" meals where the "value" does not equal the price I paid regardless of being on the DDP.

I remember when there used to be prime rib on buffets, now it's roast beef. There used to be molded butter. Dress code was enforced at signature restaurants. etc etc etc.

Perceived value by guests is what keeps the DDP going. Disney makes hella-profit which is why they keep it around.

i USED to have good meals at WDW, some were even great. I always said WDW dining was expensive, but adjusting for the "captive audience price factor" the food was worth what I was paying.

Now, prices have skyrocketed and food quality has gone downhill. It's not bad food, it's just not anything stellar. It is chain restaurant food, with better plating.

harryk

My family uses the Delux Dining Plan for the convenience it supplies. Rarely using it within the parks, except at Tiffins or the World Showcase, we use it at the Resorts or on the Boardwalk. Yes, it may be overpriced for the exceptional quality many of the previous writers no longer expect, but it does permit one to try menu items many would pass up due to $$$$. So, park hopping or the lack of at this time, makes no difference. BTW could not be used at V&A's anyway.

Jon81uk

Prices have definitely increased faster than overall inflation. Using archived copies of AllEars menus, I looked up the Yachtsman in 2007 vs today. (I would have preferred a pre-2004 menu which was about when the modern DDP was introduced, but it was the oldest I could get)

In 2007, the 12oz New York Strip was $36. Adjusted for inflation that should be about $46 today. (calculated via Bureau of Labor & Statistics) That's a 27% increase.

In February of this year, that same steak was priced at $53, or a 47% increase over the price in 2007.

-Rob

Or would the prices have gone in that direction anyway, even without the dining plan?
My guess is that even if the dining plan didn't exist, we would still see prices at the same level they are now. Although the quality might be better.

In terms of the dress code enforcement, again that probably doesn't have anything to do with the dining plan and more to do with the decline in standards in society and people thinking rules don't apply to them. Disney could enforce it if they wanted to and turn people away at the podium but choose not to and people could think of others more and consider whether a tank top is suitable dinner attire, but people are more selfish than they used to be.

Phonedave

Or would the prices have gone in that direction anyway, even without the dining plan?
My guess is that even if the dining plan didn't exist, we would still see prices at the same level they are now. Although the quality might be better.

In terms of the dress code enforcement, again that probably doesn't have anything to do with the dining plan and more to do with the decline in standards in society and people thinking rules don't apply to them. Disney could enforce it if they wanted to and turn people away at the podium but choose not to and people could think of others more and consider whether a tank top is suitable dinner attire, but people are more selfish than they used to be.

I will agree partly. Prices would have gone in that direction, this is WDW after all, but perhaps not as drastically in that direction.

DDP throws a wrench into the works when trying to enforce dress codes. If a cash customer shows up, is told there is dress code, and then goes to a QSFB to eat, there may be some hurt feelings, but that is about it.

If a person with the DDP shows up and is not meeting dress code, they have already paid for a meal. Yes, they can use their TS credits for snacks, or double them up at a signature, but that is not as clean of a solution. I can see people complaining that they "paid for 5 dinners, and we want to eat 5 dinners, you can't deny us" then it becomes a matter of refunds or accommodating.

Phonedave

My family uses the Delux Dining Plan for the convenience it supplies. Rarely using it within the parks, except at Tiffins or the World Showcase, we use it at the Resorts or on the Boardwalk. Yes, it may be overpriced for the exceptional quality many of the previous writers no longer expect, but it does permit one to try menu items many would pass up due to $$$$. So, park hopping or the lack of at this time, makes no difference. BTW could not be used at V&A's anyway.

It allows WDW to put much higher prices on the menu to make you think you are getting a bargain, and because of this makes cash customers pay higher prices for low quality food.

If the DDP was not around, then prices would come down/quality up and people would not have to pass up artificially inflated prices for mediocre food.

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
I don't think we'll see dining plans for quite some time. Between limited capacity, the high number of people afraid to eat inside, the amount of time it takes to now turn a table due to new cleaning protocols, limited menus, diminished or halted experiences at character/fun meals, places with no slated reopening dates, and the anticipated high demand for quick service with outdoor seating and it just doesn't seem like they'd be in a good position to offer any kind of plan for some time. I do see them coming back at some point because of the profitability, but I think there are too many obstacles for Disney to be able to guarantee you can get everything you're paying for in the cost of any of the plans at this point.
You may be right but I certainly did not expect to see an announcement this morning offering AP room discounts of up to 40%, when they are trying to limit the parks through virtual ques and distancing measures.

I too am of the mindset that I hope it never comes back because of the downturn in quality. I used it back when tip was included and left it around 2012 when it was hard to get value out of it.

HouCuseChickie

You may be right but I certainly did not expect to see an announcement this morning offering AP room discounts of up to 40%, when they are trying to limit the parks through virtual ques and distancing measures.

I too am of the mindset that I hope it never comes back because of the downturn in quality. I used it back when tip was included and left it around 2012 when it was hard to get value out of it.

I was surprised with the AP discounts as well, but now that I think about it...the resumption of 2020 ticket sales this early in the reopening process was a strong sign that they are still needing to entice guests. I recall various sources feeling like Disney was trying to turn people off so they could reduce numbers to a safer park and resort load, but I guess they reduced it too much. I'm not a fan of the DDP and our dining preferences don't align enough with any plan for it to make sense, so it wouldn't hurt my feelings if it's gone. Still, I think we'll see it back once more things reopen and more experiences can be offered.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom