What is up at Epcot?

Lilofan

As far as shareholders go, the worst of the COVID effect on DIS is over. Which, by the way, dipped down to $85 as the shutdowns were happening in late March, and is now in the $184 range.

Doesn't mean there won't be something else later to come of this, but with everything mostly open and the juggernaut that is D+, shareholders aren't concerned.
The bottom feeders who bought in at the $85 share price if they held on have made more than a 100% gain on their investments.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
They do. Timings vary from attraction to attraction but cast are supposed to take show quality rides during operating hours.
Pirates only did it right before opening in the morning... And the manager would get upset if something "minor" was marked not working because they would have to report it and delay opening, affecting their ratings. (Like the mist screen projection)

Fun fact... Did you know that as long as TWO out of the three musicians are working, we're allowed to open the ride? (-:

EDIT: I can't provide much info for other attractions, but I had to do a checklist/ride-through for pirates.. It could give an idea of what is considered "important elements" for an attraction to have to close down if necessary.

List of essential animatronics/effects (at the time I was there)
1). ALL Jack Sparrow Animatronics are
2). Projection mist screen (no longer there)
3). The interrogation pirate at the well
4). The auctioneer/red pirate
5). The captain in the fight scene
6). The pirate with the map
7). 2 out of 3 musicians
8). The lightning/picture effect

There's more but that's off the top of my head. If any of those aren't working, the ride has to close briefly for maintenance to fix it (if it's reported by a guest, and if the CM actually reports it to management)

Chicken Guy

Ya - - I think it's safe to say that WDW cares nothing for that ride.
Which is too bad - our little guy loves it.
Disney / EPCOT used to really foster a love of learning and curiosity in people.
Now, not so much. Which is really too bad - - It was one of the amazing characteristics that really set it apart from other theme parks across the globe.
I hope at some point it comes back for future generations.
My conspiracy theory is that Disney intentionally waits for rides like this to rot so that they have an excuse to replace it without stirring up too much commotion. Probably not true, but given their practices nowadays...🤷

SpoiledBlueMilk

I know it takes some time out of your day, but I echo marni's statement. Make sure to let both Unload and Guest Relations know about these issues so they can be reported and put on the record with someone.
I noticed that same thing in March with SSE - very low sound on my car's speakers.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Pirates only did it right before opening in the morning... And the manager would get upset if something "minor" was marked not working because they would have to report it and delay opening, affecting their ratings. (Like the mist screen projection)

Fun fact... Did you know that as long as TWO out of the three musicians are working, we're allowed to open the ride? (-:

EDIT: I can't provide much info for other attractions, but I had to do a checklist/ride-through for pirates.. It could give an idea of what is considered "important elements" for an attraction to have to close down if necessary.

List of essential animatronics/effects (at the time I was there)
1). ALL Jack Sparrow Animatronics are
2). Projection mist screen (no longer there)
3). The interrogation pirate at the well
4). The auctioneer/red pirate
5). The captain in the fight scene
6). The pirate with the map
7). 2 out of 3 musicians
8). The lightning/picture effect

There's more but that's off the top of my head. If any of those aren't working, the ride has to close briefly for maintenance to fix it (if it's reported by a guest, and if the CM actually reports it to management)
It’s shocking isn’t it the amount of leeway. I understand the balance between ops, show, and once in a lifetime guests who may have one chance to ride. However the management override disclaimer in the SOPs has gotten far more prominent over time.

I assume SQ ride frequencies vary from attraction. Not specifically PotC but I’ve ridden with on-the-clock-cast on other attractions doing SQ checks during operating hours.

I’ve mentioned this before, but I’m friends with the TM at UOR who instigated their points system. Show items are all given a score 1-10 depending how bad it would be if they were faulty. If an attraction reaches 10 points it’s closed - and TMs are actively encouraged to report.

End of the day, I urge everyone to report something wrong at unload.

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

I’ve mentioned this before, but I’m friends with the TM at UOR who instigated their points system. Show items are all given a score 1-10 depending how bad it would be if they were faulty. If an attraction reaches 10 points it’s closed - and TMs are actively encouraged to report.
I wonder how the animatronics are ranked for ET Adventure and Cat in the Hat... Considering how they barely move nowadays

That definitely explains why Uni's attractions are for the most part, usually on top of their game.

WondersOfLife

ET looked awesome last week. Apparently. But by god the RCS is an antique.
Really! I always compare it to the late 90s early 2000s videos of the attraction. The AAs looked much more fluid. It didn’t look great in august, for us, at least. It was so depressing, especially for being my 2nd favorite attraction at Uni.

NickMaio

Really! I always compare it to the late 90s early 2000s videos of the attraction. The AAs looked much more fluid. It didn’t look great in august, for us, at least. It was so depressing, especially for being my 2nd favorite attraction at Uni.
My GOD we miss E.T. - - - We love that ride. !!!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
In all fairness the AAs didn’t have stellar movement in 1990. It was one of the few attractions actually fully working. That, Ghostbusters snd Jimmy Neutron if I recall.

WondersOfLife

In all fairness the AAs didn’t have stellar movement in 1990. It was one of the few attractions actually fully working. That, Ghostbusters snd Jimmy Neutron if I recall.
Hannah Barbara back then during opening day, correct? Or are you referring to the jimmy neutron era?

NickMaio

Botanicus - - - we hardly knew thee.......
Damn I need a vacation. Covid blues hitting hard this week.

Take care - everyone.

Goofnut1980

We just returned from a week at the parks. I was shocked how many silly little things were not maintained or kept working. It is sad.

Instead of building a $200M ride, let's fix what is broken and not working. It is always the little things that drive me nuts. I can say Disneyland is maintained much better. I spend 4-5 days a week there in 2019 over a 7 month period.

graphite1326

My conspiracy theory is that Disney intentionally waits for rides like this to rot so that they have an excuse to replace it without stirring up too much commotion. Probably not true, but given their practices nowadays...🤷
My theory is that they can't get good techs to fix the rides since they pay so poorly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom