What is up at Epcot?

Goofyernmost

My concern isn’t that there were issues and I can forgive the SSE speaker and the Test Track doors. Journey shouldn’t be open with the audio like that. That felt like someone’s thumb on the scale to keep capacity up.
I understand that, but you know there were about a dozen upset people complaining about those small items being broken, wanna guess how many would have been complaining if they shut it down completely because of the minor problems.

Goofyernmost

Theme park mechanics were engineered to run as long as demanded. And when they started to wear out - at around a time that was expected - they were replaced.

I’m always one of the first to say see if something that’s not working is working after a few hours, the next day or the next week. But the trend has been a downward one for a while now.
That is part of being realistic. Something might have broken after we even get on the ride but it is treated like it has been that way for years. I don't have a problem with people being upset about ongoing problems that seem to never get fixed, but considering what it cost Disney to do anything, it can't be like the olden days when they would determine when it was time to replace parts, regardless of their current condition. That is not a workable business plan now. There's the old saying that goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it) You could be replacing a good part with one that is flawed. If it is working smoothly it shouldn't be touched unless it is a potential safety hazard. It should be more like you said. If you spot something you tell someone about it. Then it is up to you to check it out later and see if it has been fixed. Be that a few hours, the next day, the next week and so on. If it still remains broken then there is reason for upset and comments on the lack of maintenance. Some of the pieces, especially on the older attractions may been to be machined. They don't carry many of those special parts on the shelves at Target.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Original Poster
I understand that, but you know there were about a dozen upset people complaining about those small items being broken, wanna guess how many would have been complaining if they shut it down completely because of the minor problems.
JIA wasn’t minor we were sitting in silence for probably 20% of it. If that hadn’t been the case like I said I wouldn’t have noticed the minor things. I wouldnt close SSE for a broken speaker on one car, no, that would be ridiculous. What it felt like is that no one cared enough to get things in working order. That’s what I’m frustrated with.

ABQ

I want to express my frustration with the ride upkeep at Epcot.

Today, Imagination had 2 entire scenes with no audio. None. Figment is bouncing on the words to one little spark and there’s no sound at all except some background beeps. Then in figments open house, no sound again. That ride should not have been operating.

Finding Nemo had a projector out in the tunnel scene under the ocean. So this 360 effect had a giant empty black box 80% of the way through it.

The speaker in my SSE headrest was so quiet I could hear the car behind mine’s more clearly.

Then the doors that swing open on Test Track were just stuck in the open position (as they were on Saturday)

It’s just so pathetic and such bad form. Especially the Imagination one is completely unforgivable. Fix your stuff Disney and take some more pride in what you’re putting out there. The park isn’t going to melt down in Imagination is closed because there’s no audio.

Soarin and M:S Green both seemed fine so 1/3rd of the rides we did were in good shape 😕
Based on a you tube video I saw from well over a week ago, the lack of audio in those scenes during JII have been missing for a while now.

Ninja Mom

I'm not really agreeing with this concept that it's the guest's responsibility to tell Disney that a ride is malfunctioning. I'm there for a vacation, I'm not a junior staff member that's supposed to waste my time trying to find the right person to let them know that a ride is broken.

Disney has the responsibility to make sure that their rides are operating correctly, not the guests.

I don't think it's that hard to have the CM's ride the rides on a regular basis and take notes on their observations of what's malfunctioning.

Disney is at the point where management just doesn't care. They are allowing the park to become run down with a lack of maintenance.

It's not just one thing, it's an avalanche of constant malfunction and non operational features. This concept of having the guest constantly point out Disney's maintenance failures means nothing to management. Their decision not to maintain these rides adequately has already been made and any amount of guest feedback will not make one bit of a difference to fix this problem.

Welcome to Disney Diminished.

What does it say about the Disney fan community when they've been brainwashed with this expectation that guests are supposed to provide these maintenance alerts?

~NinjaMom

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Disney has the responsibility to make sure that their rides are operating correctly, not the guests.

I don't think it's that hard to have the CM's ride the rides on a regular basis and take notes on their observations of what's malfunctioning.
They do. Timings vary from attraction to attraction but cast are supposed to take show quality rides during operating hours. But if something fails just after the cast have passed through it could be quite a while before it’s seen again unless reported.

If it’s something minor it can be called in and hopefully fixed, sometimes there and then. More major it may have to wait until overnight. Every attraction has a list of show critical effects. If any of these are disabled the attraction is meant to be closed until fixed - with the caveat management can make the decision based on how busy it is.

Something simple like work lights being left on is sloppy and can be fixed there and then. But in the case of SSE speakers there’s 604 seats. That’s 1208 speakers. Even with the best will in the world they can’t quickly all be checked. Is it a single speaker? A pair? Is it a speaker issue or wiring? Or an amp? Are all 4 seats not working? Is it a flash card issue? A computer problem? Does it not work for any car? Is it a trigger issue? And so on.

I think I just defended the company! But don’t get me wrong - there are many, many show problems that should be addressed in the Orlando parks but aren’t.

aladdin2007

Kevin Yee has been using the term 'Declining by Degrees' for a long time. Probably should stick to that.
Since were on the topic, I think Living with the Land offically falls under declining by degrees. The jungle scene none of the animatronics work, half the lights are out,,,,the farm scenes its the same with the animatronics,,, and could it not at least get a new ending scene already?... I wont even start about Gran Fiesta.

NickMaio

Since were on the topic, I think Living with the Land offically falls under declining by degrees. The jungle scene none of the animatronics work, half the lights are out,,,,the farm scenes its the same with the animatronics,,, and could it not at least get a new ending scene already?... I wont even start about Gran Fiesta.
Ya - - I think it's safe to say that WDW cares nothing for that ride.
Which is too bad - our little guy loves it.
Disney / EPCOT used to really foster a love of learning and curiosity in people.
Now, not so much. Which is really too bad - - It was one of the amazing characteristics that really set it apart from other theme parks across the globe.
I hope at some point it comes back for future generations.

spock8113

In case you haven't noticed, Disney Theme Parks are in worse serious financial trouble thanks to COVID. Then throw in the cruise lines, or lack thereof, and the shareholders are about to get a slight reality adjustment. And this isn't going to improve overnight.
Look at all the services and amenities being cut while the ticket prices still climb.
Personnel and maintenance cutting are the very first things to take the hit. Paying fewer people for doing fewer things requiring fewer parts. It's rather basic.

drizgirl

In case you haven't noticed, Disney Theme Parks are in worse serious financial trouble thanks to COVID. Then throw in the cruise lines, or lack thereof, and the shareholders are about to get a slight reality adjustment. And this isn't going to improve overnight.
Look at all the services and amenities being cut while the ticket prices still climb.
Personnel and maintenance cutting are the very first things to take the hit. Paying fewer people for doing fewer things requiring fewer parts. It's rather basic.
Disney streaming seems to be doing pretty well. Pandemics giveth and they taketh away. But yeah, Disney will use it as an excuse to cut deeper than we’ve ever seen before.

Kamikaze

As far as shareholders go, the worst of the COVID effect on DIS is over. Which, by the way, dipped down to $85 as the shutdowns were happening in late March, and is now in the $184 range.

Doesn't mean there won't be something else later to come of this, but with everything mostly open and the juggernaut that is D+, shareholders aren't concerned.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Original Poster
Disney parks are losing money, a little, but Disney the company made a profit of over $2 billion dollars last quarter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom