What is Tiana's about.....

NickMaio

Original Poster
So we got back a few weeks ago.....
Got a chance to ride Tiana's ......
What is the scoop regarding to ride story......

We only ride it once but honestly could not figure it out.

Something about looking for an ingredient to go in gumbo.
Then everything was big.......
It was very confusing....

Advisable Joseph

So we got back a few weeks ago.....
Got a chance to ride Tiana's ......
What is the scoop regarding to ride story......

We only ride it once but honestly could not figure it out.

Something about looking for an ingredient to go in gumbo.
Then everything was big.......
It was very confusing....
No, you were looking for a band. The "missing ingredient" for a party.

Beacon Joe

This was our impression:

Queue: we may be walking into a factory or restaurant, and then we are descending into an Avery Island-like salt mine

Now suddenly outside of the salt mine into a loading dock area, we take a boat ride through a veggie garden. Maybe this is a tour of the island, the farm, and food production facility? Maybe?

I think something may happen here, but it did not make any impression on me.

Then, next up IIRC, the alligator may be asking us to help find a musician for his band. But it was sort of unclear.

Then we... honestly I don't even remember, but I think we see a lifeless Tiana standing and us about... something I couldn't hear.

I think there are one or two dark passages along the way before or after the Tiana statue.

Then Mama Odi casts a spell to turn us small. For reasons, I guess?

Then we see some cute scenes. Not sure why we're small or what happened to the bandmate I thought we were supposed to be looking for. Is he an amoeba or something - why did that witch turn us small? I remember seeing a couple of cute frogs. Were we looking for these frogs?

Then Odi suddenly makes us big again... for reasons.

I think we go somewhere else in a boat, and then see Prince Naveen and Tiana playing music... I intially thought they might be playing at her restaurant because that would have been cool to see, but I guess not because....

... we next cruise down river and see her restaurant.

Something else may happen, but I still don't know what happened to the missing band member the gator may have been asking about. Or have any explanation for why a witch made us shrink for a minute or two with no clear reason or resolution.

Is that about right?

Advisable Joseph

This was our impression:

Queue: we may be walking into a factory or restaurant, and then we are descending into an Avery Island-like salt mine

Now suddenly outside of the salt mine into a loading dock area, we take a boat ride through a veggie garden. Maybe this is a tour of the island, the farm, and food production facility? Maybe?

Then, next up IIRC, the alligator may be asking us to help find a musician for his band. But it was sort of unclear.

Then we... honestly I don't even remember, but I think we see a lifeless Tiana standing and us about... something I couldn't hear.

I think there are one or two dark passages along the way before or after the Tiana statue.

Then we see some cute scenes. Not sure why we're small or what happened to the bandmate I thought we were supposed to be looking for. Is he an amoeba or something - why did that witch turn us small? I remember seeing a couple of cute frogs. Were we looking for these frogs?

I think we go somewhere else in a boat, and then see Prince Naveen and Tiana playing music... I intially thought they might be playing at her restaurant because that would have been cool to see, but I guess not because....

Something else may happen, but I still don't know what happened to the missing band member the gator may have been asking about. Or have any explanation for why a witch made us shrink for a minute or two with no clear reason or resolution.

Is that about right?
No. Technically close, but you somehow missed key connections.

Louis was asking you to look for musicians, plural, for the party you kept on reading about and hearing about. That is the ride's story.

The cute scenes were the musicians! That's why Tiana kept on praising them: she was approving them for her party.

See my post above for you getting frog small (not amoeba small!). You were looking for that frog band you saw.

Beacon Joe

No. Technically close, but you somehow missed key connections.

Louis was asking you to look for musicians, plural, for the party you kept on reading about and hearing about. That is the ride's story.

The cute scenes were the musicians! That's why Tiana kept on praising them: she was approving them for her party.

See my post above for you getting frog small (not amoeba small!). You were looking for that frog band you saw.

Aha, so the frogs were the musician(s) the gator was looking for?

I finally read the WDWmagic writeup about the ride's story. Maybe we were in one of the boats where we didn't even hear lines that explained what was going on:

Depending on the timing of the logs, some riders miss the single lines of dialog from the audio-animatronics that tell the story and are left confused about what is supposed to be happening. In our rider groups during previews, nobody could retell the story with any confidence, and some riders had absolutely no idea what it was about.

All I know is I was scratching my head after the drop when we were miniaturized, and then again when the spell was reversed, and my daughter asked "why were we small back there?" 🤷‍♂️

She also wondered if we might have been shrunken to find mushrooms for one of Tiana's recipes.

I will say that at least they used proper animatronics for the ride and not those uncanny valley projection ball head sorts of animatronics. It's a shame not all were working though.

NickMaio

Original Poster
This was our impression:

Is that about right?
Yup
What an odd ride for WDW to create.
It felt really pushed....

lightningtap347

I'm noticing people are ignoring the musicians....
You'd have to have your eyes completely shut to miss these things on this ride. The imagineers created scenes where there's literally only one point to look at at a time. That, paired with the most direct dialogue I have ever heard on a Disney attraction... These things shouldn't be missed or ignored. We are well within "purposefully obtuse" territory here, no one can be this un-observant, right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom