What is this nonsense?!

pajammies

The price of the room stays the same for our extra people (except the length, obviously). The price of tickets doesn't change much from 6-day to 10-day. So basically the difference between our trips is having the room for longer and buying tickets for two extra people.

Our trip is roughly $1,784 on tickets ($446 pp), about $130 per night at Pop. Your trip would be around $830 ($415 pp) on tickets, $128 per night at Pop if the trip were exactly $1,600. We're "buying in bulk" by fitting four to a room and buying longer tickets, and you are slightly less so.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack, although the word nonsense in the title matches my feelings right now! (Not your response, but my desire to stay for 13 nights for such a decent price) :D Thanks for explanation.

Slipknot

Anyone else notice the first writer says he waited in line for Pirates when it's been closed since early June? If you're going to write about something like waiting that long and being turned back at the last minute, at least know what is not closed for refurbishment. Test Track would have been the better option. That closes for technical reasons on a daily basis.

Walt Disney1955

You know.............that's fine. They are entitled to their opinions. They don't get it like us, and I am fine with that. I am a huge sports fan, there are those who don't "get" the thrill of sports or why a football player runs two yards before getting tackled. I don't "get" a lot of things.

These people are fine with me because they went to Disney once and didn't like it. Maybe we can't relate to that, and I certainly can't, but they are better than the ones who have never gone. I had a conversation with a girl at work this week who once went for a couple days to Universal Orlando. Good trip, and I certainly could talk about things from there. However, when I asked her if she went to Disney she said "Not until I have kids." She had never been and used the same old tired line of "Disney is for kids." She said she couldn't imagine a girl wanting to go with her boyfriend to Disney.

See, those are the people I don't understand. The ones who don't know what they very well might be missing.

The ones that went and hated it, good for them. But these guys sure didn't plan ahead very well.

Lucky

You know.............that's fine. They are entitled to their opinions. They don't get it like us, and I am fine with that. I am a huge sports fan, there are those who don't "get" the thrill of sports or why a football player runs two yards before getting tackled. I don't "get" a lot of things.

These people are fine with me because they went to Disney once and didn't like it. Maybe we can't relate to that, and I certainly can't, but they are better than the ones who have never gone. I had a conversation with a girl at work this week who once went for a couple days to Universal Orlando. Good trip, and I certainly could talk about things from there. However, when I asked her if she went to Disney she said "Not until I have kids." She had never been and used the same old tired line of "Disney is for kids." She said she couldn't imagine a girl wanting to go with her boyfriend to Disney.

See, those are the people I don't understand. The ones who don't know what they very well might be missing.

The ones that went and hated it, good for them. But these guys sure didn't plan ahead very well.
With kids, it's my favorite place to go. Without kids, it wouldn't be in my top 10. But that's just me.

Goofyernmost

With kids, it's my favorite place to go. Without kids, it wouldn't be in my top 10. But that's just me.
To me nothing will ever beat my early days of going with the kids, but, it wasn't exclusively because of the kids. There were times, I'm sure that I didn't even remember that I had kids. It was a personal experience, I don't believe in the through other eyes theory. They are fun to watch, but, I can guarantee you that if I hadn't been personally taken in by the place I would never have gotten past 4 trips much less 45.

With the exception of one year, I have gone solo for the past 14 years. I still enjoy it for what and how it makes me feel. That part hasn't ever really diminished. Yes, I look at it differently and now it is more memories of good times over the years, but, I still enjoy it alone as well as I did with a carload of people. Now it's the experience coupled with the memories that make it a fun place to be.

PhotoDave219

First off, I will say that obviously everyone is entitled to their opinions. Now that that is out of the way, I came across two articles this morning, both from writers of "The Federalist". I know nothing about "The Federalist" or the kind of writing that goes on there, but these two articles are beyond ridiculous! Ridiculous in the sense that these "writers" obviously did zero research and talk and complain about something that they have no knowledge of. It's actually quite amusing. See how far into these articles you can get before you start shaking your head. I guarantee you won't get passed "Wild Kingdom".

http://thefederalist.com/2015/07/31/disney-world-is-the-worst-thing-ever-you-should-definitely-go/

http://thefederalist.com/2015/07/31/why-i-wont-go-to-disney-world/#disqus_thread

Its click-bait. Dont click on it.

LdyApxr

My first trip to DLR was when I was 18 with my cousin-twin(we are only 12 days apart) and had come into a pretty nice chunk of money and decided Disneyland Hotel and a week in the parks. Had a great time! I did not go back until after my son was born and he was 6yrs old(and took my nephew who was 7) and we went back with his brother and sister about 2yrs later(2 adults, 4 kids crazy Christmas Day trip for 5 days). When my second son was born we did not go until he was 6 and have been a few more times with both him and his brother(including another Christmas trip and an Easter trip).

My sister has never been, does not want to go and the only reason her kids have gone is because I took them. She is planning to take her only grandson in a couple of years which prompted some questions from the adult kids about favoritism(LOL). She has always hated the idea of Disney trips even when I was the one paying for the trip and I don't know why but as much as I love my sister, I would not want to go to WDW or DLR with her because she is a complainer(weather, cost, time, food, etc) and I prefer to enjoy my vacations and not stress over things that bring me memories(good or bad LOL). I can see my sister writing the second article.

nelsonj3

The funniest part was that he called Animal Kingdom Wild Kingdom.
Yep, that's a professional author for you right there! :rolleyes:
I'm still amazed that there are people who don't know that it's hot in Florida in the Summer and that it's crowded at WDW in the Summer. While reading that "article," I kept thinking about a Jeff Foxworthy sketch I heard once where he was making fun of weathermen who seemed surprised every year that it was hot in Texas in August. :D

copcarguyp71

You do realize that if you read the articles the second person never set foot in WDW nor did they claim to right?

Matt_Black

You know.............that's fine. They are entitled to their opinions. They don't get it like us, and I am fine with that.

Just because you CAN say whatever you like (barring certain legal technicalities), doesn't mean that you SHOULD. These people are operating under at least a thin veneer of journalism and as such some of the standards of journalism should be applied when examining their work. Even editorial/ opinion pieces can't go hog wild with what they say.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Read both of them. It's sad that one of the writers couldn't get Animal Kingdom correct. I'm a dad of five, yes FIVE, children. I've been to WDW 6 times 96, 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15 and I love it every time. My kids love it and that's what works for me. We find new things to do every time. Neither winter did any research or planning. One seemingly will never touch foot on property, which is sad and then she talks about family values. Values? It's about having fun. You can even get culture at EPCOT. In no way I would drag my 7, 5, and 10 month old through the streets of NYC to see a museum. They are too young for that, though my 7 year old may enjoy it. When they are old enough to appreciate it maybe then, but definitely not at these ages. I can understand the father. I've been frustrated at Disney before. Then I saw my then 18 month light up at Disney Jr and at the firework show in MK. I knew then I'd never spend a spring break in Pensacola again. Those two moments are why I go. I don't think I'd get the same experience with a 2 year old looking at things in the Museum of Modern Art. Anything is possible though.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Anyone else notice the first writer says he waited in line for Pirates when it's been closed since early June? If you're going to write about something like waiting that long and being turned back at the last minute, at least know what is not closed for refurbishment. Test Track would have been the better option. That closes for technical reasons on a daily basis.

Presumably he went when Pirates wasn't closed.

Incomudro

Yep, that's a professional author for you right there! :rolleyes:
I'm still amazed that there are people who don't know that it's hot in Florida in the Summer and that it's crowded at WDW in the Summer. While reading that "article," I kept thinking about a Jeff Foxworthy sketch I heard once where he was making fun of weathermen who seemed surprised every year that it was hot in Texas in August. :D

One of the first things I tell people who are interested in going, and are asking me for information is; "The time of year you go, can have a night or day influence on your experience."
Coupled with: "Go to the parks as soon as they open.
I'm particularly quick to emphasize this to people who I know are iffy about going, or are on the cynical side.
The last 4 trips we've taken have been the second week of May.
The weather has been gorgeous in a way that I didn't even think Florida was capable of - dry, breezy, clear blue skies with puffy fair weather clouds and temperatures only peaking in the mid 80's.
The parks have had low crowd levels and it was a pure pleasure.
Short ride waits as well, some being little more than walk ons.
As we've walked through the parks on those visits, my wife and I have remarked about how different things would be if we were shoulder to shoulder in crowds, and the temperatures above 90 degrees with stifling humidity - plus long waits on line.

Evolution

Do you really think they would've allowed him in line if the ride was closed?

Evolution

The first article makes a lot of good points. No one wants to have to plan everything months in advance just to go to a theme park. Being spontaneous makes it fun. Magic Kingdom is too crowded. The park needs more rides (just like all the others do).

danlb_2000

Premium Member
He mentions large crowds and long lines. While late May is pretty busy, some areas of the country are still in school and not quite as bad as late June and July.

Have you misunderstood my point?

You are under the assumption that he went recently. He could have gone months, or even years ago and just decided to write about it now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom