What is the worst souvenir you've ever bought @ WDW?

tink282010

I would say it would be the frame that they sell when you exit the dinosaur ride and go to purchase a ride photo. The frame bent immediately after taking it out and you can clearly tell it is a very cheap frame. But my husband insisted we have it, lol.

the1nonlysinger

A few years back, I was in WDW in August and the temps were scorching. I bought one of those water bottles with the fan attached. I definitely got good use of it while I was at the parks- but after my 2 day trip, it was useless.

On a different note-- I JUST said to DH yesterday that I was SO glad we had bought our parks soundtrack CD set last time- it's my FAVORITE & best souvenir we ever bought.

knnyrobb

A couple of years ago my kids picked out String Things at Fantasmic.. They were always getting tangled.. The concept is cool.. But they did not work that great.. The string always got knots also..

Mrs.PhD

We bought coffee mugs from "Germany" and the design wore off the first time we ran them through the dishwasher.

We have the same problem with resort mugs. We used to collect one from every reosrt we stayed at. We used to use them daily. They don't make the same size anymore, and ours did the same thing. The glaze wore off, and the color would come off on your hands. Very disappointing. :cry:

Mammymouse

The Mobil (rubber or vinyl) Minnie Mouse, and other Princesses mini doll and clothes sets. I don't know the actual name of the toy. It is in a clear plastic casing. You can't change the clothes on the doll without pulling her head, arms and legs out, which I don't think is normal. Then you have to put them back in the sockets and is very wrong.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The Mobil (rubber or vinyl) Minnie Mouse, and other Princesses mini doll and clothes sets. I don't know the actual name of the toy. It is in a clear plastic casing. You can't change the clothes on the doll without pulling her head, arms and legs out, which I don't think is normal. Then you have to put them back in the sockets and is very wrong.

How morbid and twisted. :eek:

Dads 2 Boys

Original Poster
Weird thing is there is nothing else we have purchased in several trips that was bad. I bought an awesome key chain in Dec 2007 with "charms" of the four park icons and it's still my favorite and is as intact as it was 3 yrs ago.

Although the shirts I bought in December are unbelievably big now due to a large weight loss but what can u do?. :lol:

MillerPoppins

We all normally love everything we buy @ WDW but I was wondering what the worst thing you've ever bought.

Mine is a set of four puzzles of the four park icons that I got in 2007. Almost every single piece is the same shape and size so you have virtually no idea if the pieces fit. I love puzzles and am pretty good at them and I hate these. :shrug:

Great...I totally bought those for my niece during our trip last month..:lol:

John

I am surprised that no one mentioned them but although I never purchased them (nor will I ever) I think the Animation figures are terrible. So unimaginative. To me the Mickey sillouhette is an american icon.

That said, With everything going "generic" Animation figures might be the only thing left where there is some variation. The whole souviner issue has been a pet peeve of mine.It was always apart of my families vacation to try and find that special hard to find item. Look for special pins etc. Now you can get just about any souviner anywhere on property.

As much as we love disney and might not agree with some of the things they do, this is one that is the most dissapointing. I dont see the buisness logic under any circumstance. Once you seeing the same things in every location you just stop going in. They all become HO..HUM. Even some of the great suff that used to be at the Disney Art store has moved toward being generic. Its so sad.

Chrononymous

Stupiest purchase was a jar of honey shaped like Pooh that was bought as a last minute gift (to be included in a mug with tea)

Now the object itself was not stupid...it was actually kind of cute...but a rather expensive jar of honey...

Little did we realize that it was considered a liquid by the not so friendly security at the Orlando airport who confiscated it.

Dwarful

Our youngest daughter begged for a hair wrap at the resort every day. Finally we broke down ...10 minutes later she is begging to take it out because it hurts....

CP_alum08

We bought a really fun kitchen timer on our trip last year. Shaped liked Mickey's head and you twist the top part to set the time. Either it was already broken in the box when we got it or Southwest baggage handling crews had their way with it because it was broke when we got home. I called Disney merchandising and they said it was already discontinued and whatever the stores had was what was left and they couldn't track any down because of that.

We were reimbursed the money for it (which was nice) but we would have much rather had the timer. It sat on our counter broken for about a year, when we moved we decided it wasn't worth packing :(

fngoofy

I bought a set of coasters. They looked cool, with embossed Mickey and Castle on them (i think), but the down side was that they were 1) Small and 2) metal.

They there bumpy because of the pictures on them and they didn't soak up any condensation because they were metal.

They were really more medallions than coasters.

loveofamouse

I think I know what you're talking about. They were tiny little Happy meal type dolls with rubbery outfits. They came in heart shaped zipper bags that were clear with a colored zipper. My dd picked them from the disney store. I think she had 5 different ones. Stupid things drove me crazy! They'd jam my vacuum and were always coming apart. bleh!

I think the worst ones were monogrammed Ears. My dd got the princess one. The crown broke easily. Now, the ears have fallen apart. I'm not 100% sure if my son's birthday ones survived well either.

Another bad idea was the sweatshirts. We were at DHS and nightfall brought dropping temps. We bought the whole family fleece sweatshirts. I'm the only one that can still wear mine. DH does on occasion.

Mammymouse

I think I know what you're talking about. They were tiny little Happy meal type dolls with rubbery outfits. They came in heart shaped zipper bags that were clear with a colored zipper. My dd picked them from the disney store. I think she had 5 different ones. Stupid things drove me crazy! They'd jam my vacuum and were always coming apart. bleh!

Yep you're right - that's the one. At first we thought we were doing something wrong, but there was no way we could change the clothes without de-capitation and amputation!

Fable McCloud

I don't think anything I bought fell apart or broke, but I do think that the pins are a waste of money. What are you gonna do with the lanyards after? Nothing. Mine is sitting on my bed post with a bunch of expensive pins that are too big and tacky to wear on my jackets or purses...

loveofamouse

Yep you're right - that's the one. At first we thought we were doing something wrong, but there was no way we could change the clothes without de-capitation and amputation!

Yes! and, unfortunately, my oldest loved 'em and found a set at every gift shop! She had 2 or 3 from the disney store, 1 from hotel GS, and 1 from LM GS in DHS. I'm so happy it seems they stopped selling them lol

For the pins, we just keep them on the lanyards. My main complaint about the pins were the closures. They don't stay on. I would love to put them on my kids' backpacks or something but they keep coming undone. I ended up using pencil erasers and even that's not perfect.

durangojim

The worst in terms of quality was a foamy antenna topper like keychain that fell apart the day after we bought it.

The worst souvenir I bought in terms of being a pain in the rear was one of the wooden rifles at PotC. I failed to see that the rifle had to be checked at airport. We arrive at MCO and stood in the security line for 45 minutes, when we finally get to the front, the TSA agent says it has to be checked or I can throw it out. I get out of line and look for a post office, which there isn't so I go and stand in line to pay $30 to check a $15 toy. The baggage agent states that he'll put it in a box so it doesn't get damaged. We arrive in Detroit and here comes the rifle in a plastic bag in TWO PIECES:mad:! No box, no nothing. I pick it up and my 4 year old looks at me and says "why did they break my gun daddy?" as tears are welling up in his eyes. I go to the Delta luggage office, file a complaint and of course nothing ever comes of it. I called Disney the next day and ordered a replacement riffle which cost me another $10 or $15. So this $15 toy winds up costing me about $80 and a whole lot of aggravation. Also the quality of these guns are way lower than those that I bought at Disneyland 30 years ago as a child. BTW I did find my old collection of those toy guns and gave them to my son, the look on his face was great.:)

captainkidd

I bought a really nice looking WDW blue/gray shirt. I wore it once, washed it, and it shrunk so small it would fit a smurf.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom