What is the first thing you do when arriving?

marynorth

OK, only 33 days until we arrive. In the meantime, we are purchasing my dreamhouse in my dream-neighborhood, but that takes a backseat to my anticipation over arriving at WDW with my DH and two darling children! I love to plan with my 6 year old just what we'll do first when we arrive. We have decided that we'll take the boat to the MK from WL and hop the train to acclimate my almost 3 year old son. We'll exit at Mickey's toontown and let him absorb it slowly, maybe try him on Goofy's Barnstormer (he just makes the height cutoff). Then we're off! We don't like a stringent plan, we just float where the Disney gods take us!

So what do y'all like to do when you first arrive?

MCMike37

DiPSU224 said:
98 days to go! :wave:
GO PSU:D (Let's just not talk about football:lookaroun)

Ok, now that I have that out of the way, it depends on who I am with. In days of yore when our whole family went we got annual passports and stayed for a month during the summer and a week the following Christmas to get full use of them. Nomrally we would check in around 10 or 11 into Fort Wilderness, get all set up, then go purchase the passports. At that point my brother decided to go crazy. It was a tradition that we had to visit all the parks that day and do at least one major attraction. Not too bad when it was only EPCOT and Magic Kingdom, and even with MGM opening, we still could do that one. But trying to hit all four with AK closing so early provided a challenge. If we were really good we could hit all four parks and catch two fireworks shows, but we had to have the transportation system working in our favor to do that.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Easing in

Well, I guess you mean after checking in and visiting that first Disney bathroom... :rolleyes:

We get settled in the room a little, check out the grounds casually (purging those real world thoughts and vapours), stop and pick up our refillable mugs (the last bargain of the visit) and take the monorail "once around". We then will head out to one of the resort restaurants for dinner with a slow trip back to the hotel. Turn on the TV for a first round of Zip-a-de-do-da...oops, I mean Kryssa, set Micky's (or whomever) wake up call and turn in early for a full next day. Waking up at Disney just seems to put a different perspective on the parks than rushing it after a plane ride, car, and check-in. But thats just us...

Upvote 0

DisneyWood

Downtown Disney

For some reason, our family usually heads straight to Downtown Disney. After check-in and a little exploring of the resort (b/c we like to go to different ones each visit, which is going to be hard to do in the near future since deluxe resorts are the only ones left) :veryconfu

We like to mosey on over to DD for the early afternoon/evening to look around, buy a few things for the children and house. Possibly eat at the Rainforest Cafe, then head back to the resort. We don't like wasting a full days pass to the parks on the first day, since we would get there about 2 or 3 pm. We may even end up at the boardwalk this year, when we first arrive. Who knows? I will just be excited to be there with my family and friends.

But on the 2nd day, which will be Sunday, would it be better to go to MGM, Epcot, MK or AK? I was thinking MGM or AK, b/c I read in a book that the locals tend to go to the MK during the weekends. Anyone have any thoughts on this? We will be there in October (52 days left) :sohappy: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Take with a Grain of Salt

But on the 2nd day, which will be Sunday, would it be better to go to MGM, Epcot, MK or AK? I was thinking MGM or AK, b/c I read in a book that the locals tend to go to the MK during the weekends. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Disneywood

Well, the "official party line" is as follows:

"During regular attendance periods, our parks tend to be the busiest on the following days:

Magic Kingdom: Monday, Thursday, and Saturday

Epcot: Tuesday and Friday

Disney-MGM Studios: Sunday and Wednesday

Disney's Animal Kingdom: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday"

I would figure into that the early admission schedule, as you can do a lot at any of the parks first thing without it being too crowded. Another factor you have for your time there is MNSSHP that changes times around for MK. The third piece I usually consider is that the parades and fireworks in MK seem to be the most crowded Friday, Saturday and sometimes Sunday. We usually try to schedule those viewing times on other days.

Other than Columbus weekend, I don't think crowds will be too great during your stay, so it probably won't make much of a difference.

Upvote 0

DisneyWood

ClemsonTigger said:
Well, the "official party line" is as follows:

I would figure into that the early admission schedule, as you can do a lot at any of the parks first thing without it being too crowded. Another factor you have for your time there is MNSSHP that changes times around for MK. The third piece I usually consider is that the parades and fireworks in MK seem to be the most crowded Friday, Saturday and sometimes Sunday. We usually try to schedule those viewing times on other days.

Other than Columbus weekend, I don't think crowds will be too great during your stay, so it probably won't make much of a difference.

Your input is much appreciated. I really don't know what to do first. I will be like a kid in a candy store, trying to eat everything at once. We will probably head to the Animal Kingdom on the first day.

What does MNSSHP stand for? I have been trying to figure that one out, but can't for some reason. Thanks.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Pace yourself

Your input is much appreciated. I really don't know what to do first. I will be like a kid in a candy store, trying to eat everything at once. DisneyWood

Following your analogy, avoid that temptation, or :hurl:

What does MNSSHP stand for? I have been trying to figure that one out, but can't for some reason. Thanks. DisneyWood

Sorry, it's Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, a hard ticket after hours event (you have to buy a separate ticket besides park admission). It is held Oct. 17, 20, 22, 24 (while you are there). If I remember correctly, your children are small, so it may not be cost effective. Check out more information at
http://www.allearsnet.com/tp/mk/mnssh.htm

I also suggest you use the allearsnet general site for a lot of planning information, itinerary and dinining planning (the menu references are great).
If you have any more questions, keep the thread going or feel free to PM me.

Upvote 0

DisneyWood

ClemsonTigger said:
Following your analogy, avoid that temptation, or :hurl:

Sorry, it's Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, a hard ticket after hours event (you have to buy a separate ticket besides park admission). It is held Oct. 17, 20, 22, 24 (while you are there). If I remember correctly, your children are small, so it may not be cost effective. Check out more information at
http://www.allearsnet.com/tp/mk/mnssh.htm

I also suggest you use the allearsnet general site for a lot of planning information, itinerary and dinining planning (the menu references are great).
If you have any more questions, keep the thread going or feel free to PM me.

That makes me laugh.. I don't know if we will make it to MNSSHP or not. I will check into it and see if we should. My son (2) may enjoy it, but my daughter (1) will not get anything out of it. Not to say that Jacob will get a lot out of it. Who knows. :confused: :confused:

Excellent. 52 days left.

Upvote 0

SnowWhite5669

We usually get into Orlando by 11:00Am or so it straight to the resort to drop off luggage in room (if it's ready) and head straight to Magic Kingdom where my husband heads straight to the Barber Shop for a Haircut and some Pixie Dust I go through the shops on Main Street and have to buy one little thing and then off to the Bakery for an espresso and a Diet Coke. :wave: 7 days and counting....

Upvote 0

DisneyWood

Am I alone here?

Are we the only ones who head to DD first? This is subject to change this year. We may be heading to the ESPN zone for the big game: OU vs. K-State game. I guess it depends on what my family wants to do. I just know that we will probably not go to the parks b/c we won't get to Orlando until 11am, and after baggage is picked up and we catch the shuttle to Disney World, we may get there by 1pm (if we are lucky).

Has anyone taken the limo service from the airport? I usually take the Mears shuttle but that could be timely if we have to go to several different resorts. The limo service supposedly takes you directly to your resort. That would be nice. Thanks.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
More firsts

DisneyWood Are we the only ones who head to DD first?

Yes, you are the only ones on the whole site who would do that! :lol: :lol:

Has anyone taken the limo service from the airport?

I strongly suggest you consider Quicksilver (advertizes on this site). With four, and with the little ones, they will be there to meet you immediately and take you right to your hotel. They will have car seats ready and the cost will be the same, probably less that for all of you to ride Mears. Again on your ride back, you won't have the hassle of waiting for a time period and having all the other folks. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

DisneyWood

That is what I am talking about...

Quicksilver limo service? I will be giving them a call. We actually have 8 to 11 people in our party (depending when 3 of them make it to Orlando). I assume that we can get 2 to 3 limo's, right? Thanks for the help.

I didn't exactly think that we were the only ones that head to DD first. It just seemed that way, b/c I didn't see anyone else post it. :lookaroun

However, I am starting to reconsider since I will be arriving on a Saturday. I imagine that DD will be extremely busy during the week. I don't really know right now.. I keep going back and forth.. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

swimnoid

Boo's Mom said:
now the first thing we do after getting everything in the hotel room is grab the mickey soap and hide it in our suitcases :lookaroun anybody else do that too

ha ha ! We do too. Although I hoarde it and the shampoo when I come back I give it to the Ronald McDonald House. they always need individual toiletries for their families.

After that it depends on where we are staying, but if it is the cabins (like it will be in 27 days) we hop the boat to MK.

Upvote 0

Scooter

First we turn on Resort TV

Then we go to The Food and Fun Center and get some Chicken Fingers :slurp:

Then we go to the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow.

We have always gone to EPCOT first because we always go in the off season and EPCOT is open the latest (9:00PM) and we Love Illuminations.

Upvote 0

saltmom1

We always head straight to MK. This time ( Aug 23 ) we went through almost 4 lands in 4 hours ! It tends to be less crowded at that time. Around 3pm on. And I always feel like I am "home."

Upvote 0

stitchrules223

After checking in and all that stuff, I head straight for Tommorrowland, and check the wait for Space Mountain (if reasonable, I ride it). Then I go to the Tommorrowland arcade to play Disney Dance Dance Revolution! After that I ride the TTA, just to let it all soak in. (bonus if it is around dusk and the wind blows through my hair as I ride the TTA)!

Upvote 0

barnum42

I don't have a tradition. If I make it to my hotel in time afte the flight from Britain I would head over to Epcot for some schoolbread and possibly catch Illuminations.

Last time it was too late so I started the following day with a visit to Animal Kingdom where I grabbed a fast pass for the Safari then said good morning to the Gorillas.

The next time I will probably just say "Made it eventually" and sigh with relief after all the delays and changes in plan. I estimate I will be at my hotel too late to go to the parks, but I may just visit Mara in Animal Kingdom Lodge for some African Stew and Zebra Domes :slurp:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom