What is the fate of Carousel of Progress?

dazzlemepretty

Original Poster
I know that when I go to MK the COP is one of the stops on the list for us, but I always note that there is a lack of popularity these days, i.e. there seems to never be more than 20 people in line. I didn't know if this was going to make the Disney people think that COP was a waste of space or anything and get rid of it. I also found online a petition that was started to save the ride. Does this mean anything?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It has been my experience that on-line petitions are next to worthless. As to COP's fate it is really anyone's guess. When a rides popularity drops to the point where it is unprofitable then management has to option to modify it, adsorb the loss or replace it. IMHO COP has been living on borrowed time for quite a while now. I love the attraction but it has seen better days. If current rumors are true COP will suffer an "Incredible" fate before the end of the decade.

bears163

can we start one to bring back AE. I love disney but from the time i have been going there that is the worst thing that i think they have done.

DisneyMusician2

I personally love the carousel, and hope it stays around. I'm not usually very melodramatic about the fate of old rides, but this one was just one of Walt's originals. I just feel that it should stay and they should really make an effort to hype it up and make improvements to keep it current and relevant.

redfarmer06

Yeah, like they said, this is an original attraction. It would be the equivelant of closing PotC or HM (even though they screwed us over by putting in Jack Sparrow and the rest of the movie effects). A little refurbishment on some of the effects or technology would be nice, but keep the old school CoP. That's a piece of Disney history that you would be throwing down the drain!

KevinRyanCole

Yeah, like they said, this is an original attraction. It would be the equivelant of closing PotC or HM (even though they screwed us over by putting in Jack Sparrow and the rest of the movie effects). A little refurbishment on some of the effects or technology would be nice, but keep the old school CoP. That's a piece of Disney history that you would be throwing down the drain!

It has already been updated...i doubt they would do yet another update under the same name.

lwalker8

If you think they are gonna turn Carousel of Progress into an Incredibles ride then you're wrong...cause I will be there between the Bulldozer and COP!!

Seriously though, I really doubt they would tear it down. If anything I feel like they would just move it somewhere.:wave:

cloudboy

How exactly does a ride become "unprofitable"? That seems to be a catch phrase lately, but I don't understand it. I know there is a cost associated with running any ride, and if there are not enough people riding the ride that it would be more cost effective to replace it with something more efficient, but...

Disney is essentially a captive audience. With the exception of a few possible merchandise sales, you don't make more money if someone goes on a ride or not. They aren't going to go over to Universal and ride one other ride there instead.

Shaman

I've always said that CoP would fit in great at Epcot and be awesome as part of an SSE post show. Maybe we can add Mr. Incredible to it or Sulley....:lookaroun

lwalker8

I've always said that CoP would fit in great at Epcot and be awesome as part of an SSE post show.

Exactly...or maybe on Main Street Like Lincoln in DL. I don't even care if they move it to Marceline Missouri and open it on the first Saturday of every month as a museum!!!!I just want don't want it torn down.

LudwigVonDrake

The Carousel of Progress is one of my favorites and due to its historical ties to Mr. Disney, it ALWAYS needs to be a part of a Disney theme park :)

kcnole

I don't think it will ever be torn down. It may get moved to another park or location, but I don't think it will ever be closed completely as long as there is still respect for Walt in the parks. To me it would be like closing down Its a Small World or Pirates.

It did just get some refurb with new carpets, etc... not too long ago.

Expo_Seeker40

Who knows what the fate of the CoP will be, but I feel it will be an extreme loss in the sense that this is the only attraction in all of Walt Disney World that had personal creation by Walt Disney let alone along with some of his original Imagineers at WED. It also, I believe if you were to exclude Cinderella's Golden Carousel....than the CoP is the oldest attraction at WDW, only because of the first three sets and clothing wormn by the AA's are still 1964 original.

We have to remember that the CoP sits off to the side of tomorrowland. Not in the center or near the middle like it did at Disneyland. Even the 1975 facade of the CoP here in florida is no where near is a nice or as appealing as the 1967 facade it had in california.

Also the CoP recieves no major advertising at all. Plus, the size of the theaters were really meant to hold the audiences at the world's fair. Now yes Disneyland had quite a crowd for the CoP as did florida's crowd in the 70s into the early 80s.

But any amount of people will get sucked right into the theater itself because a new one that can house over 200 people becomes available every 4 minutes!

Also there is nothing even over there besides Buzz that would even draw attention to the CoP including, the amazing guest capacity the theaters can hold, the meek facade, and no major advertising.

Plus with the galaxy palace theater mostly unused, no skyway, and a new ride or attraction that could easily occupy the land over the galaxy palace theater and old skyway station all the way to the CoP itself could easily offer a new and exciting whole other area to tomorrowland!

I have never liked the current 1994 version of the CoP. It is very dull, and is in nothing like the spirit and true positive nature of the original 1964 CoP.

What do I suggest be done? If the CoP can be allowed to stay at WDW, then I say rehab it into its original 1964 presentation. Now granted we might see the show in the wrong direction because the 1964 and 1967 presentations were in clockwise motion, but regaurdless....

Tomorrowland is no longer about the future....however the CoP and even space mtn in its own way, could very well be the only attractions that give us an uplifting if not retro approach.

The CoP could easily be the tomorrowland metro retro historical society theater and maybe can even have a real sponsor. But why not have the show end in the 1960s, why not have a new 4 minute pre show explaining all of this, and better showing the walt disney connection, etc, why not landmark this ride? This ride in my opinion is too precious, too historical to be demolished or forgotten, it has so much potential, especially if one can image it still existed, refurbished next to two new rides sitting next to it.

It would be a relief of the criticism of people saying why is the last seen so outdated, when you set the ending seen way abck to the 1960s and can explain why in the preshow. Also people here speak of updating the finale and adding in a new scene. If we did that we would be destorying one or all of the only three original scenes left! Either the CoP keeps updating its finale to the point where 1940s to God only know what looks really questionable, we keep the original ending and let it be, or we take a horrible chance and significantly alter the only 3 original pieces left of the ride.

The CoP could really pull it off, it certainly isn't now, and it deserves better because it used to be better. :wave:

Greenlawler

How do you follow that last post?

Well I believe there are certain rides that should never go away but I do not feel that way about the CoP. I would miss it but not as much if they lifted CBJ or SWSA which are outdated as well.

Stitch69

I like it and always go on it.....sing the song too "there's a great big beautiful tomorrow" but I wouldn't be surprised if they closed it. Not many people go on it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom