What is the deal with HISTA?

BSikor

Original Poster
When HISTA first opened, it was different and fun. Now it is tired, dated and quite frankly, a chore. I haven't been to see it in many, many years. Probably since I last worked there in 97. I just have no desire to see it. While the effects are pretty good, but it is an old movie that not many people remember.

After speaking with Martin (Marni) about Makin' Memories and how he has kicked himself for not recording the film when he had the chance, I decided to venture into HISTA yesterday to record the "True Colors" film that is not as good as "Makin' Memories" but not bad.

(Some of you can already see where this is going)

I enter the que, which is just absurd to have a fastpass attached to it. I got into the pre show and was surprised to find the flatscreen tvs hanging from the ceiling. The old stage is still there draped in black cloth looking like a void at the bottom of the sloped room. As we filed into the room, being beckoned to move three steps forward and three steps to the left over and over again, the video started.

What the heck was that!?!?!

That is the WORST thing I have EVER seen in a Disney park and I've seen the Monster Inc. Laugh Floor when it was in testing!!!

Terrible!

In the actual theater, the movie looked so dated. The clothing, the hair and makeup. ______. I started to contemplate why this show was still there and then the mice came out. The audience shrieked in fear and surprise and I had my answer. All my previous feelings went away. I no longer cared that a good chunk of the people in the audience didn't even know who Wayne Szalinski was or who he was supposed to be. I no longer cared that the new DLP screen on the side still looked like an old tv broadcast from the early 90's. Hearing the people scream and laugh made up for it. The show continued and the audience started to respond more and more and I left with an "okay" feeling. Not that I would go out of my way to see it again anytime soon, but a feeling of satisfaction that it is still delighting people, which is something I can't say for some other attractions.

So back to my original question...

What the heck was that "pre-show"? Even the Eric Idle segment was weak. There was something lost since it is no longer a slide show. Fill me in.

wdwdude423

I agree, that HISTA is very dated and should be updated extensively. I love all of the "Honey, I..." movies so going into this attraction gives me that feeling of nostalgia, but many don't remember or even know about these movies. I'm curious to see the plans Disney has for this attraction in the future. Mind you, if HISTA was to change from the "Imagination Institute" theme then the whole pavillion would be off and need to be changed... hmm, maybe Dreamfinder can return? lol :)

jakeman

The deal is that Dreamfinder has to come back....NOW.
...or what? You won't visit anymore? You'll write a strongly worded letter to guest relations?

Back on topic, I wish I could answer the OP's question. The Imagination Pavilion is rather "meh" to me personally.

I wouldn't mind them redoing the pavilion. I admire the consistancy across the pavilion that was implemented with the "Institute" theme, but I am afraid the quality is just not there. I believe this is one of the few cases where the attendance numbers seem to support the fanboy.

I would prefer that they try something completely new rather than go back to Dreamfinder. Partly because Dreamfinder reminds me of that creepy guy in the neighborhood that your parents won't let you eat his homegrown apples, and partly because, why wallow in the past?

minnie61650

.......In the actual theater, the movie looked so dated. The clothing, the hair and makeup. ______. I started to contemplate why this show was still there and then the mice came out. The audience shrieked in fear and surprise and I had my answer. All my previous feelings went away. I no longer cared that a good chunk of the people in the audience didn't even know who Wayne Szalinski was or who he was supposed to be. I no longer cared that the new DLP screen on the side still looked like an old tv broadcast from the early 90's. Hearing the people scream and laugh made up for it. The show continued and the audience started to respond more and more and I left with an "okay" feeling. ......

The mice! The shrieks of the audience! The dog sneezing at the end and the reaction of the unsuspecting guests!
Yes, that is what makes that show entertaining even today.

For those of us who have seen it many times it does seem kind of dated.
But most families who are visiting for the first time and those who only visit every 3-7 years it can be and often is a very entertaining attraction.

I agree the preshow is not much but it does try to help set the mood for the main event.

Just my 2 cents.

Magicfinder

Honey I Shrunk The Kids was a wonderful movie... in the 80's!

Sadly, my kids know who Rocky Balboa is, but not Rick Moranis. It's just been too long.

brisem

Honey I Shrunk The Kids was a wonderful movie... in the 80's!

Sadly, my kids know who Rocky Balboa is, but not Rick Moranis. It's just been too long.

I agree, kids don't know the movie. It should be totally rehabed or rethemed.
IMHO, it's the worse of the four 3-D movies.

BSikor

Original Poster
I agree, kids don't know the movie. It should be totally rehabed or rethemed.
IMHO, it's the worse of the four 3-D movies.

I don't know if I agree with this one. "It's Tough To Be a Bug" to me is worse. I don't even remember its there half the time. With HISTA, I choose to ignore it.

MuppetVision is the best (`cause I love Muppet humor) and Philharmagic is growing on me more and more with each viewing.

Scar Junior

I don't know if I agree with this one. "It's Tough To Be a Bug" to me is worse. I don't even remember its there half the time. With HISTA, I choose to ignore it.

MuppetVision is the best (`cause I love Muppet humor) and Philharmagic is growing on me more and more with each viewing.

Seriously? How can you forget its there? You can see the tree from just about anywhere in the park.

Besides, both Muppet Vision and HISTA look very outdated. Philharmagic and ITTBAB have long shelf lives due to their animation. Fashion, hair styles, and filmic look won't be a factor as it is with HISTA and - to some extent - Muppet Vision.

I understand if you think ITTBAB isn't as fun... but you said the crowd reaction at HISTA saved it. It's even bigger at ITTBAB... what with Flik, Hopper, the spiders and fog, butt bugs, acid sprays, hornet stings...

I guess im just confused by this post after reading your earlier one?

BSikor

Original Poster
Seriously? How can you forget its there? You can see the tree from just about anywhere in the park.

Besides, both Muppet Vision and HISTA look very outdated. Philharmagic and ITTBAB have long shelf lives due to their animation. Fashion, hair styles, and filmic look won't be a factor as it is with HISTA and - to some extent - Muppet Vision.

I understand if you think ITTBAB isn't as fun... but you said the crowd reaction at HISTA saved it. It's even bigger at ITTBAB... what with Flik, Hopper, the spiders and fog, butt bugs, acid sprays, hornet stings...

I guess im just confused by this post after reading your earlier one?

I guess I'm just not a big ITTBAB fan. I've never really cared for it. I never say Ive got to go on it. I want past it and say oh, yeah, theres ITTBAB. I look at the Tree of Life and everything around it but always forget there is a show there (I don't know why I think that) I'm just odd that way. I guess since there is so much jumping out at you with the colors and surroundings at AK I miss the signs for the show.

Thiger

HISTA is pretty dated and should be revamped...
how about 'figment's imagination proclamation' or something like imagining the future where it deals with being free to create and following your dreams...maybe include current inventors showcasing their products (maybe make this part update every 2-3 years)

if you want a bad attraction, look no further than 'sounds dangerous'. It's just aweful. I know some on here love it (i've already felt their wraith). It just feels like a D minus effort.

TOTGuy

The problem with ITTBAB is that it is frankly TOO scary. I see kids come out of there practically in the fetal position. I mean, getting stabbed by wasps? That's scary to me! I like HISTA despite its datedness. The pre-show is crap, just a 10 minute commercial for Kodak (I don't really remember true colors, though I am glad they switched to flat screens ala Soarin'). I enjoy the Institute theme with the CMs being "Professors". I would work there if they gave me the chance. The pre-show announcement with the smoke? Genious! Muppets is better by far (you just can't beat the timelessness of the Muppets) and I really have no desire to see Philharmagic. So I say just do your best to enjoy the effects and the audience's reaction, the theme, ignore the pre-show (except for Eric Idle "Don't put on the safety goggles until you have been safely seated safely inside the the theater safely.")
(End Soapbox) :wave:

darthjohnny

So back to my original question...

What the heck was that "pre-show"? Even the Eric Idle segment was weak. There was something lost since it is no longer a slide show. Fill me in.

I loved the Honey, I Shrunk the Kids series and it will always stick with me. It was a big thing for me.

To answer you question, the "pre-show" is basically a giant advertisement for Kodak that encourages you to use your imagination.

I guess they wanted to update the preshow (especially with new TVs) and they wanted a new film.

DisneyMusician2

How did the Stitch burp smell get into Journey, by the way?

Anyway, the loss of Dreamfinder was big, and this reincarntion was dumb.

But HISTA is just really dated, and I just can't stand the dog sneeze at the end. I skipped it on my last trip, the only attraction I skipped. I even sat through the Country Bear Jamboree. But this one needs some updating.

I really liked it in its heyday though. But I simply would not consider it a classic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom