What is the best ride you have ever been on?

JMcMahonEsq

Flight of Pandora to me has always been a one of a kind amazing experience.

Going back as a young kid, the universal studios Hollywood backlot tour, with the Jaws interaction, the flooding canyon, and the subway scene still sticks with me even though its probably been 30yrs since we were on it.

Cariad

Ouch. There are so, so many different types and genres of rides, I find it impossible to compare apples and oranges and come up with a single best or favourite...And indeed do you mean "best" as in a qualitative sense, or just favourite?? Perhaps I'm overthinking it!

(I often think that when people ask me what's the "worst" coaster I've been on. I guess what they mean is what's the most scary or frightening, which is meaningless to me as I don't find them scary. They're asking from their point of view. From my point of view, I'd probably reply with something like Desperado, The Big One, or Barnstormer, but I don't think they'd find my reasons satisfying!)

I've ridden around 700 coasters, I can say that my nbr 1 is Nemesis. It's got past the point where I'm wondering if anything is going to replace it at the top of my list, it's very special to me. My favourite woodie is The Voyage. I used to have Top 10 lists, then it became top 20...then it becomes difficult to manage. Cosmic Rewind is certainly in my top 5 favourite indoor coasters, if not nbr 1.

And other rides. Well, there are dark rides. And there are many genres. My favourite haunted swing is Hex. My favourite flying theatre is Soarin.

Disney excels at dark rides and probably most of my favourites are Disney. Horizons, Spaceship Earth, Journey into Imagination (v1), Tower of Terror (is it a dark ride or drop tower??), Pirates California.

How on earth to choose just one. Do I prefer Horizons over Hex or Tower of Terror, and where does Nemesis fit in? I can't say.
Nemesis at Alton Towers! Seriously?

Cariad

Last year I went to Disneyland and I love nearly all the rides in California Adventure, especially Radiator Racers, Guardians and Web Slingers.

osian

Well the complete redo/overhaul recently does look well done——new visuals and props

…….but best ride on the planet?? I just don’t see it.
It's my best. Not the biggest, fastest etc, but it's a complete work of art. It's not just me, it's extremely highly regarded in enthusiast circles. Currently #35 apparently out of, what, around 2000 steelies on the planet? So not far off the best according to the worldwide polls. I've ridden it hundreds of times, I know every inch! YMMV. For example , I wouldn't consider Rise as anywhere near my favourites, even though others do.

Last edited:

osian

We were tasked with “best ride” we have been on
…….not what is our pet/personal favorite

there is a vast difference, right?
I think it's up to the OP to define what they meant. As I wrote in my first post, "best" can mean different things to different people, and I illustrated that by an example of how "worst" can similarly be interpreted different ways, i.e. it means something different to the person asking and the person answering. IMO no-one can define what is the "best" without being totally subjective, in other worst, it's what's best to you. Does that equate to "favourite"?? People have questioned my choice of Nemesis, but for me it's actually both best (qualitatively...the arrangements of the elements, the pacing , the tricks and surprises, the interaction with the natural surroundings, how much fun it gives you) and favourite (something I want to keep riding in preference to others, I guess). But practically, and from a personal point of view, "best" always ends up as being "favourite", because it can only be subjective. Is it possible to have a "best" ride that is not your "favourite"? Or vice versa?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom