What is one closed attraction that is considered beloved on here, but you think was over rated ?

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I only saw videos, but I'd probably have to go with Food Rocks. Just felt like another case of Disney trying to be hip and cool and failing at it. Fud Wrapper was cool, though.

The prior Kitchen Kabaret was significantly better than Food Rocks... maybe it's just me, but I feel like that also aligns with the general sentiment here (the nostalgia is for the former, not the latter).

Cool dinosaur animatronics are generally a win. But that last bit - oy. Talk about not ending on a high note.

Agreed, by the time you got to the third act of that ride, most people were done.... then they force you to watch a 12 minute video that wasn't terribly "fun" or innovative. Almost similar to when they used to force you to watch the video about 5-minute video about Norway after you just got off Maelstrom.

Walt Disney1955

I wish Dis would add a land just for featuring all those old attractions that we love for their nostalgia and remind us what got us here today.

I guess they technically still do have one, and that would be Fantasyland in Disneyland. Most stuff in that land was there in 1955.

For me, I’ll start with Mr. Toad:

This ride is brought up alot on here, and I had to check it out on YouTube (I know the Disneyland version still exists). I didn’t really understand the hype. Was it always cardboard cut outs jumping in and out? There are hardly any audio animatronics ? And seems rather short….do people just like the ip more so than the ride itself?

It is the charm of it. We tend to not appreciate the charm of things anymore and that's why we have this microwave generation of needing to constantly feed an ADHD society. But Toad was/is just simple and enjoyable. And the train hitting you at the end and the end scene after that is just iconic I think. It doesn't have to blow the doors down, and I like that about it.

Okay, for me, the ride would be 20K. It was alright. But I remember thinking we would see real fish down there as a kid. It was pretty cramped too. What gets forgotten is that the ride sort of sat there for a long time after it wasn't used anymore.

DisneyHead123

Agreed, by the time you got to the third act of that ride, most people were done.... then they force you to watch a 12 minute video that wasn't terribly "fun" or innovative. Almost similar to when they used to force you to watch the video about 5-minute video about Norway after you just got off Maelstrom.

According to my parents we were traveling with a child who had an absolute epic meltdown during that portion, and they swear that the people in the room actually seemed relieved because said child's rather theatrical screaming fit was a relief from the boredom of being locked in that room. 😂

DarkMetroid567

It's a fun log flume, but I have never understood the passionate love Disney fans had for it. Its story was unintelligible, the music was very hit and miss, and nothing about it was particularly show stopping beyond its finale. It was a fun experience that fell short of being a top tier attraction.
The plot is certainly more intelligible on the MK/TDL version but I do think the Disney community and this forum greatly, greatly overestimate how many people paid attention or cared about Splash’s story.

UNCgolf

Jungle Cruise if they ever close it.

As far as stuff that's actually closed... I can't think of anything off the top of my head. The stuff that's closed and people seem to love here were among my favorite attractions Disney has ever built -- I'd rather ride them than almost anything that's been built in the past 20 years.

There's definitely stuff that's closed that I didn't care about, but I don't think any of it is really beloved here.

EDIT: Tom Sawyer Island I guess, since it's about to close. I don't really care if they replace it; I just wish they were replacing it with something better (on paper, at least, since we obviously haven't experienced or even seen much about the Cars attraction).

Also, I think there's a difference between thinking it was overrated at the time and thinking it would still be viable now. 20K was a fantastic attraction; one of my favorites as a kid. It definitely wasn't overrated IMO. But that doesn't mean I think it could still exist in its original form right now at the Magic Kingdom.

Last edited:

TomboyJanet

I dunno... That's a tough one. I could make a whole theme park out of the rides they closed and it would still be better than a park made entirely out of their replacements. Maybe the original test track. I know it was more advanced in animatronics but It really looked 90s. It didn't help that the first time I rode it It broke down right as they said "increasing speed" and made the whole thing silly to me. My dad would joke that If "GM can't get a working ride why would I buy their cars?" I do miss the crash test scene though, but definately not when they act as if ABS are a new thing. So that's half of a ride I guess. Maybe if people gushed about Stitch's escape and Under new Management I'd say those...anyone? no...? Didn't think so.

So far I miss
Mr. Toad
Imagination! (the REAL pavilion)
Horizons
Snow White ( if you took out toad to make pooh, why take out another ride to make nothing? just put pooh there! I hate merchandise brain so much that if it were a person I'd have hidden the body deep under ground by now! LMAO)
Body Wars (yes I do! It had a really intense script and Nimoy's stylings mixed with Star trek computers made it soo cool maybe that's why the body probe resembles a shuttle craft)
Maelstrom - So much cooler
Backlot Tour - IT was cool! And The props were real and now we can't see them....hooray!
Great Movie Ride (sorely missed last time by just a little bit of time! gahh!)
Alien Encounter I can't count because I never got to ride it but I regret not riding it.
The view from the space mt line..... that was an attraction to me or at least a major part of one, it kinda changed to make it more claustrophobic.
The Original Star Tours (just out of nostalgia, I mean if they can play it somewhere in a small sim for a convention it'd be amazing. Same with body wars! I'd pay for that! Disney why wont you take my money!! I'm only trying to help!!
ok now that that's over with
SPLASH MOUNTAIN (anyone who knows me will know that)
and in Disneyland
Splash Mt
Country Bears (never saw it there but it was a good fit oh and add that to missed for orlando)
TOWER OF TERROR - I think that the park lacks a good spooky ride now and that makes it feel less of an adventure. None of the rides at DCA have a real danger feel to them anymore it all just seems minimalized.

On the brighter side more rides I don't like means more times for the other rides I guess.... I mean if they keep this up I'll be taking 1 day vacations to the "Haunted mansion and Pirates park" (with a bit of space mountain on the side..)

Last edited:

TomboyJanet

Horizons cannot be judged by the videos. From the story, to the large projection domes, and the different endings, this was the best attraction EPCOT had. Sorry you didn’t get to see it in person.
Especially if you and your brother fought for space vs desert or space vs sea... (i wanted to see them all he just wanted space space space :p ) Ahhh Memories

TomboyJanet

Attachments

• tinkerbell-mad.gif
    tinkerbell-mad.gif
    68.4 KB · Views: 12

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom