What is happening to the Disney Stores?

hwdelien

Original Poster
I was reading another thread that someone spoke of going to the Disney Store to recapture the magic. That is getting increasingly difficult in my area (Pittsburgh). As far as I know, they've closed all but 1 location. Is this happening everywhere?

disneydiva72

I was reading another thread that someone spoke of going to the Disney Store to recapture the magic. That is getting increasingly difficult in my area (Pittsburgh). As far as I know, they've closed all but 1 location. Is this happening everywhere?

Here on Long Island we still have the Disney store outlet center.

ToTBellHop

we have none left--they have been closing the stores left and right. Oh well...still have the World of Disney on 5th Ave (for now...)

Tiggerfanatic

I had the same thhought when I walked into at the South Hills store last night - if you're looking for anything besides a stuffed animal or a princess dress, go somewhere else. There was one table of kid's clearance T-shirts and no adult clothing at all. I'm hoping this is the just the tail end of the old merchandise, and they'll start stocking a better variety than in the past.

At least I was able to get the last of the Disney Dollars I needed for my trip next month.

hwdelien

Original Poster
To be completely blunt, the Disney store has sucked for a while now. It use to be great!

Granted they aren't what they used to be, but I still go there for tickets and Disney Dollars. Oh, and new DVD releases sometimes come with lithgraphs or something that you can't get a Wal*Mart.

hwdelien

Original Poster
I had the same thhought when I walked into at the South Hills store last night -
clipped...
At least I was able to get the last of the Disney Dollars I needed for my trip next month.

I'm glad I live in South Hills. They've closed the Ross Park and Robinson locations. BTW, I'm jealous of your trip next month. Have fun!!

rbalaka

This is from USA Today from May 1 2008:

By Jayne O'Donnell, USA TODAY
Home Depot (HD) and Disney (DIS) each announced plans Thursday to close stores across the nation, the latest in a string of closings and further evidence that the slowdown in consumer spending is having a chilling effect on retailers.
"This is just the beginning," says retail analyst Jennifer Black of Jennifer Black & Associates. "We're so overstored."
Home Depot, the world's largest home improvement chain, says it's closing 15 underperforming stores and scuttling earlier plans to open 50 others. Disney is closing about 98 stores as it takes back control of its stores from Children's Place, whose subsidiary had run the Disney Store chain.
The announcements coincided with news on Thursday that consumer spending rose a weak 0.1% in March on an inflation-adjusted basis.
Hundreds of other store closings have been announced by retailers this year. But Home Depot has been especially hard hit by the real estate crisis. With far fewer houses being sold and less money for discretionary home purchases, both contractors and do-it-yourself customers are pulling back on purchases.

thrupaytonseyes

we have none left--they have been closing the stores left and right. Oh well...still have the World of Disney on 5th Ave (for now...)

We do still have the one in WestFarms mall in Farmington! We made a fun trip of it. Ate at Rainforest Cafe then went to the Disney store! But that is the only one in CT

ValentineMouse

On this subject, I was wondering if anyone knew what the status was with the UK Disney Stores? I think I'm right in thinking they weren't sold as part of the deal to the Childrens Place (is that the right name?), so Disney has always owned them? We definately don't have an over saturation of Disney stores in the UK! Although I do wish they'd sell more varied stuff.

Disney05

Since Disney reacquired back the Disney Store from the Childrens Place, they did close a number of the stores. We should expect to see some change of merchandise in the coming year.

Cynderella

We still have on lone store around here. But I've been majorly PO'd everytime I go because they have not one item of adult anything. Just a bunch of kiddie crap. I mean atleast give me a tshirt or something!

NadieMasK2

We have one in the Indy area too but as others have said the merchandise is, well, not worth going for. They no longer even have the t-shirt tables for adults. No kitchen items either. I really hope they will be bringing in some new things SOON!

wdwCC

I'm not sure about the other malls in the Twin Cities, but I know the one at the Mall of America is still open.

Captain Hank

From what I heard in talking with a Disney Store CM not too long ago, Children's Place really slacked off in ordering new merchandise when the talks of a buy-back started. Thus, there was a gap between the last merchandise ordered by TCP and the first new merchandise ordered by Disney. New, Disney-ordered merchandise should be in the process of arriving.

wedway71

On this subject, I was wondering if anyone knew what the status was with the UK Disney Stores? I think I'm right in thinking they weren't sold as part of the deal to the Childrens Place (is that the right name?), so Disney has always owned them? We definately don't have an over saturation of Disney stores in the UK! Although I do wish they'd sell more varied stuff.

DS Europe which includes all of the UK Stores has always been owned 100% by Disney. When CP bought the stores while back ,it only inlcuded the North American stores. The other Disney Stores which are in Japan were sold to OLC-(same company that owns Tokyo DL).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom