What is going on with prices & availability??

jmani56

Original Poster
I keep hearing how bad the economy is and that people are traveling less... that's what makes this so confusing.

The last two times I have tried to book a trip in the OFF season, nearly every resort is full and the crowds at the parks are horrible. I have been told by numerous cast members that there really is no more "off season" as we used to know it.

I just tried to book another quick trip on a weekend that is typically very slow. Again, every resort I requested was full. The cast member on the phone recommended that I take the ONE room left at the Contemporary that would have costed $1,800 for only 3 NIGHTS!

Has anyone else noticed this problem? Why are the crowds so heavy when the economy is so bad? Is there really no more off season to enjoy the parks without 2 hour wait times and hotels at $500 per night?

disneytopdog

when are you planning on going? I have gone in September during free dining promotion and have never had a problem except with ADRs.

Dayma

We plan our trip the minute they let us book it. I think that's about 1yr before we travel. We NEVER have a problem if we plan ahead.

The parks are filled because they are running good deals for one. The other thing to note is that international travelers will be coming more and more to America with the decline in the dollar.

Disney05

Yep, the earlier the better. But they do have a pretty good promotion out now that may be filling up the resort more than usual.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
We plan our trip the minute they let us book it. I think that's about 1yr before we travel. We NEVER have a problem if we plan ahead.

The parks are filled because they are running good deals for one. The other thing to note is that international travelers will be coming more and more to America with the decline in the dollar.
You can book room-only 499 days prior to your departure date. Many people book as early as possible, either booking room-only and then switching to a package when they come out or waiting for the packages when they're announced, usually in August for the following year. A good number of people would still go once they've booked and possibly paid for their vacation, so the economic downturn/recession may not have reduced attendance yet. People were really only seeing the first indications that things were getting bad in the fall.

Oddly enough despite being caused by the U.S. economy, the recession has had the effect of actually diminishing other currencies. For example, prior to the fall, the Canadian dollar was near par or higher than the U.S. dollar. Now it's dropped down to just over 80 cents U.S. - hardly seems fair... :rolleyes:

Disney05

When we were there this past October, I've never seen so many people from Great Britain. I'd love to see what kind of deals they are getting.

danpam1024

Chatted w/ a British traveler when we were there in Dec, he said they could stay in WDW for 3 weeks (including airfare) for the price of 1 week in Europe. That's a no-brainer!:hammer:

TURKEY

When we were there this past October, I've never seen so many people from Great Britain. I'd love to see what kind of deals they are getting.

Most of the UK guests are due to the exchange rate, not a great number of specials. The UK normally gets free dining booked a year in advance not like US guests. This year the UK are also getting a 14 for 10 night while the US gets 7 for 4.

jmani56

Original Poster
Thanks for the info everyone, appreciate it. I usually book a few months in advance, but either way I just don't want to fight the crowds. It looks like I will be going for the Food & Wine Festival this fall, so hopefully I can get a better deal then.

disneytopdog

The food and wine festival usually happens during the fall free dining promotion. That usually opens for booking around mid to end of April. The values fill up really quick so book early

gembob

Am visiting in Sept due to getting dining plan at a reduced cost (could only get QS DP free). Not sure if the exchange rate has much to do with it though because it is really poor at the minute (approx $1.40 to the £ whereas last time I visited in 2006 it was $1.90). I don't quite understand why this has happened as this is a worldwide recession so it should have effected the difference between the economies so much. But I am not an expert in any stretch of the imagination so I may just be talking rubbish!!

sweetsugar

I'm also from the uk. My sis and I are staying in a disney hotel for 13 nights with flights. We got 14 days entry to wdw parks for the price of 7 (booked last september) and also Universal tickets for a total cost off £1500pp. Dollar rate a couple of weeks ago went right down to $1.36 to a £1 at the mo its $1.49ish

Megpumpkin34

Disney Tickets at Walmart

Hi, im visiting Disney in April but have not bought our Disney Park tickets yet. I am from the UK but someone has told me you can purchase Disney Park tickets at Walmart is this correct and are they much cheaper? Has anyone else heard of this? :)

tomm4004

Is the economy that bad? My brother and sister-in-law are hitting WDW in April. My friends are still going to Santo Domingo in Feb. and Paris in April. My two bosses are still going to Cuba in April. I haven't heard of anyone canceling or changing plans. The mall here is packed; restaurants too. We keep hearing that the economy is bad, but I just don't know. I guess most people still have jobs and thus can afford to go.

sweetpee_1993

Um, no, people are losing jobs left and right. It's a scary time, really. If you aren't feeling it in your area of the world consider yourself blessed. The small Southern town my parents live in has all by shriveled up and died.

I was at WDW less than a month ago and I can tell you the parks were full. They were so full that we're seriously rethinking future plans to travel to WDW. It's just not as enjoyable when you're crammed in like sardines and Disney trips are mighty expensive to be that disappointed. There are too many other places to see in the world. Maybe someday, somehow attendance will slow back down. As unlikely as it is, one can always wish. Right?

Disney05

Hi, im visiting Disney in April but have not bought our Disney Park tickets yet. I am from the UK but someone has told me you can purchase Disney Park tickets at Walmart is this correct and are they much cheaper? Has anyone else heard of this? :)
First I heard about Walmart selling tix. Don't think that's accurate. We like using Undercovertourist.com. We use the link through mousesavers.com.

tomm4004

It seems that job losses have not affected travel to WDW. Perhaps they will. What types of jobs are being lost? Where I live (in Canada) I see new houses, bank branches, and an 11-screen Cineplex within a stones-throw of my place. I see no signs of a slowdown, but perhaps it's an illusion, or the calm before the storm.

surfsupdon

I was in Disney World Jan 28--Feb 2, just afew weeks ago. It was SuperBowl w/e and lots of message boards and posters said the parks will be more crowded than normal, and that there is no more "OFF season" to travel to WDW.

In actuality, the parks were insanly on the empty side every day we were there. Most everything was a walk-on. Even Soarin and Toy Story MM had manageable lines in the under 30mins range.

I noticed a huge difference of less people traveling. None of the high profile hard to secure an ADR restaurants were even booked. We dined practically alone at Ohanas at 530pm and 50s Prime Time at 6pm.

The parks had so few people in them it was great for us. We must have fortunately lucked out with crowds b/c everyone is saying just how crowded the parks are, and we saw NOTHING of the sorts just 3 weeks ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom