Rumor What is everyone’s confidence level that a Villain’s land will happen?

Disone

The difference between what I read here and what I hear from friends and family about Guardians is staggering.
Don't get me wrong.... I'm not being negative on the attraction. I think it's a lot of fun. I really enjoy it. In my opinion it's Walt Disney World's best roller coaster. And it can be all that without being a needle mover. In short I do come off the attraction smiling and wanting to do it again... I just don't come off the attraction amazed by it.

peter11435

Don't get me wrong.... I'm not being negative on the attraction. I think it's a lot of fun. I really enjoy it. In my opinion it's Walt Disney World's best roller coaster. And it can be all that without being a needle mover. In short I do come off the attraction smiling and wanting to do it again... I just don't come off the attraction amazed by it.
I don’t think your personal opinion is the definitive answer regarding what attractions “move the needle”

Bocabear

I think it is the most fun ride at the Walt Disney World Resort... It is so smooth, beautifully paced, the music is great...and everytime I ride it everyone is clapping when we come into the station... The Pre-show is great but I wish there were more trappings of a Pavilion VS just the attraction... An exit area that was expanded with more exhibits about the Xandarian people, maybe some Xandarian snacks... Things that you would see in an EPCOT WOrld Showcase Pavilion... But it is a great ride!

Bocabear

Plenty of things were budgeted appropriately and turned out fine. If you didn’t like them that’s a completely different story.
COnnections turned out fine...espcially as a replacement to Electric Umbrella. The shop is bland and has all the charm of a Target. Yes it is modern and clean. Aside from the Entrance p[laza being restored, I can't think of a thing the 5 year overhaul of the core has given us that is actually better... Yes trees and ponderous dry gardens that seem to have no rteal reason... an unattractive flex space that also serves no purpose... A water play area... ( I guess that is fine but it should have been attached to The Seas) or would be even more appreciated in DAK the hottest park on the planet. The entire thing just feels like the budget was cut... I hope Communicore Hall was built to be easily removed in a few years when someone has a better idea and a decent budget for something meaningful

Andrew25

COnnections turned out fine...espcially as a replacement to Electric Umbrella. The shop is bland and has all the charm of a Target. Yes it is modern and clean. Aside from the Entrance p[laza being restored, I can't think of a thing the 5 year overhaul of the core has given us that is actually better... Yes trees and ponderous dry gardens that seem to have no rteal reason... an unattractive flex space that also serves no purpose... A water play area... ( I guess that is fine but it should have been attached to The Seas) or would be even more appreciated in DAK the hottest park on the planet. The entire thing just feels like the budget was cut... I hope Communicore Hall was built to be easily removed in a few years when someone has a better idea and a decent budget for something meaningful
Hot Take: DAK is the least hottest park at WDW. Yes it's mostly outdoor, but the trees offer a great amount of shade unlike the concrete expanses of MK or Epcot.

Disstevefan1

For many years, I wanted Disney to make a 5th gate; a coaster park; all coasters; and make it a villains park.

Take off the shelf coasters and Disney does what it does best and theme the heck out of them, adding high quality theming to them and adding dark ride elements to them.

This would be great for the older kids and young adults in the family.

I also know it will never happen,

Andrew25

For many years, I wanted Disney to make a 5th gate; a coaster park; all coasters; and make it a villains park.

Take off the shelf coasters and Disney does what it does best and theme the heck out of them, adding high quality theming to them and adding dark ride elements to them.

That was essentially (and still is) Islands of Adventure... and Universal has started to add more family-friendly offerings.

Disstevefan1

That was essentially (and still is) Islands of Adventure... and Universal has started to add more family-friendly offerings.
And WDW already has loads of family friendy offerings. This would be great for the older kids and young adults.

But you are right. If folks want thrills they can go to Universal or even SeaWorld..

Andrew25

And WDW already has loads of family friendy offerings. This would be great for the older kids and young adults.

But you are right. If folks want thrills they can go to Universal or even SeaWorld..
The issue is that all of Disney's current parks are known to be family-friendly, it's hard to translate to folks that a park has nothing but thrill rides.

Disstevefan1

The issue is that all of Disney's current parks are known to be family-friendly, it's hard to translate to folks that a park has nothing but thrill rides.
Tell that to the the older kids and young adults on a Disney vacation.

But, I agree, families with little kids will still go to Disney.

Just saying, it would be cool if Disney had more for the the older kids and young adults on a Disney vacation to capture everyone of all ages.

DisDude23

Original Poster
Hot Take: DAK is the least hottest park at WDW. Yes it's mostly outdoor, but the trees offer a great amount of shade unlike the concrete expanses of MK or Epcot.
I would have to agree, as far as actual heat EPCOT is the worst but Animal Kingdom feels hotter because it’s designed to look and feel like it’s in a hot climate.

Disone

I don’t think your personal opinion is the definitive answer regarding what attractions “move the needle”
Nor do I. But these discussion boards are for discussing our opinions are they not? Can I not state it without coming across as I feel like mine is the only opinion that is correct? I hope that's not the case. I was a little surprised by your response. Typically you're not like that. Normally you would counter with your own opinion but to throw this dismissive response towards me was a bit unexpected from you by myself.

I'll just own it. You're absolutely right. My opinion is not the end-all be-all definition of anything. Fully aware. 100% non-sarcastic fully aware.

Disone

It depends on what you mean by "moved the needle"?

Attendance? Groundbreaking technology? Fun factor above what was already available in the parks?
Good question. Hard to put an exact finger on that but For me? All three.

Attendance increase.

Groundbreaking technology wow factor.

and fun fun fun!

When it hits high marks on all of these to most everyone then I would call it moving the needle.

easyrowrdw

Good question. Hard to put an exact finger on that but For me? All three.

Attendance increase.

Groundbreaking technology wow factor.

and fun fun fun!

When it hits high marks on all of these to most everyone then I would call it moving the needle.
It has done that for a lot of people I know. That was really the basis for my initial reply. I assume Disney has some info on how guests overall have responded, particularly with respect to the first and third. I wonder what they've found.

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
Personally, I don't entirely understand the 'Make it make sense!' crowd. The most compelling version of a Villains land seems to be a 'Dark Fantasyland' in MK. Do we have a coherent story in Fantasyland? Did all your favorite princesses decide to have a party with Mickey, Peter Pan, Pooh bear, and a boatload of child dolls?

But if you really need a unifying story, how about this?

Magic Kingdom is "The most magical place on earth." Villains all want that power for themselves. They each want to rule this "Kingdom." The heroes couldn't banish them outright, but they were able to contain them in one section of the Kingdom. There you go.

Still not convinced? Buckle in. Here comes the deep lore.

Recreating the seats of their power allows villains to project out to their respective heroes. That's how they can show up in attractions outside of their land. It also explains why you get iconic settings in the villain village.
Why can't they work together and break out? They are constantly undercutting and betraying one another because they each want all of the power for themselves.
Why are you there? The heroes can't go in themselves, so they need your help to monitor the villains and ensure nobody becomes too powerful. Also, the extra attention strokes their ego, which pacifies and distracts them.

It's a little bit Descendants and a little bit Dreamlight Valley. Most importantly, there is more than enough story to justify its existence.

Nickm2022

I think it will happen, but scale/budget is going to be a huge question, not to mention if they wait to see how Dark Universe does or if they just decide why not and go for it.

I also think even though I personally really want it at Magic Kingdom, the fact that it is being considered for Hollywood Studios is a good sign they are keeping options open and are continuing to develop it.

Twirlnhurl

To me, DAK feels like the hottest because the air is always very still. The vegetation keeps the humidity up and prevents any breeze from making it down to ground level. But you may be right, the outdoor portions of DAK are better shaded than any other Disney park, and that probably does actually translate to the lowest temperature. (If you were to average the temperature experienced across the day, though, Epcot would probably fare the best, since every attraction is indoors and has significant indoor queues.)

Wouldn't it be better for those 15-or-so attractions to be spread among DHS and MK instead?
I also think even though I personally really want it at Magic Kingdom, the fact that it is being considered for Hollywood Studios is a good sign they are keeping options open and are continuing to develop it.
I just hope the program of such a land has a variety of attractions and thrill levels.

MK has a small enough roster of thrill rides that a hand full of rides appealing to that group that it could be easily added to the lineup in a constructive way.

DHS needs to build out it's child and general audience ride lineup before they should seriously consider adding more thrill rides. I was a ride operator at DHS for a few years before the big transformation, and while at greeter, I would get asked almost daily to make recommendations for rides that family with a smaller kid or grandma could ride. You could see the disappointment when you tell them that basically all there is to do is Midway Mania, Backlot Tour (it closes at 5 and has an explosion and earthquake) and Great Movie Ride (depending on how scared they are of Alien, gangsters with loud guns, snakes, and skeletons).

Disney theme parks are at their best when they are thought of as having to cater to a general audience. You can have particular attractions that appeal to thrill lovers, small children, nostalgic grandparents, and combinations thereof. But each of those groups should have a whole day's worth of stuff for each group, otherwise the park will feel incomplete.

MK and Epcot are a bit lacking on thrill rides, DHS is lacking in family rides, and DAK could use two or three more things for every group.

Each park should have a distinct theme, yes. But each park should cater to the same broad audience. After all, Disney's core clientele is spending all week at the resort. Every day should be full of great stuff to do for each group, instead of each day catering to one group above all others.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom