Rumor What is everyone’s confidence level that a Villain’s land will happen?

Nland316

IF that talked about sequel gets an official greenlight... Hm. I see it happening. It could be Disney's greatest response to Dark Universe in terms of the sheer revenue potential.

It could even be a 'forever Halloween event' akin to Uni's 'forever HHN' they're doing in Cali...
Sequel ever happening is probably a no go I bet.

Honestly it’d be such a smart move for Disney to build. Definitely imagine a lot of hype around the concept — more so than Villains.

A sequel doesn’t even necessarily have to justify a permanent ride / land being built either — proof is in its longevity / revenue / popularity.

DisDude23

Original Poster
It's hard to find a good connective tissue on why all these villains would team up. Disney lands will usually contain a bit more story than that/pretend they do (at least for WDW). It works in a vacuum but it wouldn't work as an actual land I feel.

I see a Nightmare Before Christmas land happening instead.
Do it in a way that kind of mirrors fantasyland but maybe a smaller scale. At one side have an elephant graveyard area for scar and the other far end be the queen of hearts courtyard and in between the can be an Ursula area and maybe a DeVile manor with Maleficent‘s castle in the center. And have an E ticket ride in that castle that has a story with all the villains joining together to draw power from the Magic Kingdom so they can do some evil whatever but we the heroes (possibly helping Mickey or someone) stop their evil plan just in time.

James Alucobond

Pre-2000, the traditional Fantasyland rides all had their villains, and Snow White and Pinocchio in particular were intentionally more foreboding than any book report ride of late Disney has done.
In my opinion, the old style of dark ride with more rigid figures, lots of black light paint, background flats, and optical illusions to create depth in more claustrophobic spaces will always feel a bit more uncanny and naturally foreboding than the CG-matching figures and relatively more open, naturalistic environs they create now.

Also, the source material for most of the classic rides is completely different structurally; there was a greater focus on harrowing, external struggles and frightening situations and a substantially lesser focus on the characterization of the hero/heroine and his/her internal development. In a lot of the older films, the villains frequently had more scenes and consequential dialogue than the heroes. On top of that, you have to factor in that the newer material tends to mimic the Broadway musical, so there will naturally be several musical numbers that they'll want to recreate and slot in.

Sneakman

It's hard to find a good connective tissue on why all these villains would team up. Disney lands will usually contain a bit more story than that/pretend they do (at least for WDW). It works in a vacuum but it wouldn't work as an actual land I feel.

I see a Nightmare Before Christmas land happening instead.
Here’s the thing. Yknow how the magic kingdom lands are all designed to be “catch alls”? Why not apply that to here? Have a nightmare before Christmas ride, and while yeah you make a valid point about the villains, maybe a ride based on one of them (malefecent?) too, and throw in some more spooky stuff like mansion, or idk, Davy Jones? it doesn’t have to be one thing with mk, that’s what I feel like is limiting thinking. Of course no way WDI does this lol.

DisneyHead123

It seems like they’re leaning into the villains more on the cruise lines (with the heroes/villains ship and HM lounge.) My guess is because those are more isolated spots that families can easily skip if villains are deemed too scary. For the parks my guess is villains may eventually get a restaurant and upgraded theming at the Halloween parties - I doubt an entire park or land though.

DisDude23

Original Poster
It seems like they’re leaning into the villains more on the cruise lines (with the heroes/villains ship and HM lounge.) My guess is because those are more isolated spots that families can easily skip if villains are deemed too scary. For the parks my guess is villains may eventually get a restaurant and upgraded theming at the Halloween parties - I doubt an entire park or land though.
But depending on where and how they built a land it too could be isolated and skipped by families that rather not risk it being too scary. More so for an entire park of darker themes.

DisneyHead123

But depending on where and how they built a land it too could be isolated and skipped by families that rather not risk it being too scary. More so for an entire park of darker themes.
It could be but kids always know it’s there and it influences the mood of the park. I think it could work in HS but I don’t see Disney doing it. (And a 5th full park I don’t see happening with any theme in the next few decades.)

My guess is a villains restaurant, because the demand for villain theming is there, and they’ll want to monetize that somehow.

Moth

also WDYM talked about sequel? Isnt it a pretty well known fact that Tim Burton is pretty dead freakin set on there never being a Nightmare 2 while he is alive ever?
Yeah I got my wires crossed from when I heard news outlets report on that last year. Nvm ignore that part.

Sneakman

Yeah I got my wires crossed from when I heard news outlets report on that last year. Nvm ignore that part.
I do think nightmare being a part of a general spooky land still could be possible in some shape or form. I feel like having Jack as one ride and maybe one villian ride could be a good compromise and the best possible option imo

Moth

I do think nightmare being a part of a general spooky land still could be possible in some shape or form. I feel like having Jack as one ride and maybe one villian ride could be a good compromise and the best possible option imo
I feel if a "villain ride" was to happen, it's Oogie Boogie getting one. Be it a coaster or dark ride.

Moth

THANK YOU. Sane minds prevail!
I'm not opposed to a villain land with the correct selection of villains, but I haven't seen a pitch that's more than 'all these villains are sitting next to each other and chilling out with rides'.
Here’s the thing. Yknow how the magic kingdom lands are all designed to be “catch alls”? Why not apply that to here? Have a nightmare before Christmas ride, and while yeah you make a valid point about the villains, maybe a ride based on one of them (malefecent?) too, and throw in some more spooky stuff like mansion, or idk, Davy Jones? it doesn’t have to be one thing with mk, that’s what I feel like is limiting thinking. Of course no way WDI does this lol.
Disney doesn't really do catch-alls anymore in WDW, outside of AK because it doesn't really support single-franchise lands unless you are the Highest Grossing and 3rd Highest Grossing Film of All Time. And even then that's the smartest move to do with the main goal with the land. I doubt we'd ever get another thing like Frontierland where there's several IPs/different characters living side by side.

I do really love your latter idea though, I can see a Nightmare Before Christmas mini-land featuring the iconic spiral hill with a dark ride, I can see something with another villain (I wanna say Scar would be the most likely because the Elephant Graveyard would look nice next to NBC-area) and Davy Jones clicks well with me also. He's a villain the general public still talks about (thanks to his AMAZING VFX) and would be stunning with a good AA. While that'd be two Pirates attractions in one park, I feel both would seek out different goals.

Plus? He just looks cool, a peg leg AND a crab arm? Sickkkkkk.

Disney has a history of building parks/lands with a similar theme when they feel threatened by a competitor.
  • Hollywood Studios - Universal Florida
  • Animal Kingdom - Busch Gardens Tampa
  • California Adventure - Knott's Berry Farm
They've also abandoned planned/existing lands/attractions when faced with competition
  • Dinoland USA - Jurassic Park
  • Beastly Kingdom - The Lost Continent
So it could go either way

TeriofTerror

It could be but kids always know it’s there and it influences the mood of the park. I think it could work in HS but I don’t see Disney doing it. (And a 5th full park I don’t see happening with any theme in the next few decades.)

My guess is a villains restaurant, because the demand for villain theming is there, and they’ll want to monetize that somehow.
I still think a riverboat-themed restaurant hosted by Madame Medusa and Dr. Facilier would be great, and could feature rotating villainous guest hosts to join them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom