Rumor What is everyone’s confidence level that a Villain’s land will happen?

Prince-1

IMG_4029.gif

DisDude23

Original Poster
I would only hope if they decide to do it that it’s given a proper budget.

A dark Fantasyland concept with 3-4 rides would be a dream for me.
I absolutely agree!

Disney does seem to be shifting focus from villains in their attractions however that doesn’t mean they couldn’t attempt to build a land solely based around them.
I’m somewhat confused why people keep saying this. The two main rides everyone sites as reasons are Tiana and the tangled rides but the story of TBA takes place after the movie so it wouldn’t make sense for the dead villain to pop up there and the tangled ride seems to be going for a specific vibe that didn’t really allow itself a scene for Gothel to show up in.

DisDude23

Original Poster
I can it happening but for me my concern is that it won't be as dark and scary as it could be.
Yeah, I don’t see it ever being overly scary especially if it’s in the Magic Kingdom but I still believe it could be a fun land regardless.

Animaniac93-98

I’m somewhat confused why people keep saying this. The two main rides everyone sites as reasons are Tiana and the tangled rides but the story of TBA takes place after the movie so it wouldn’t make sense for the dead villain to pop up there and the tangled ride seems to be going for a specific vibe that didn’t really allow itself a scene for Gothel to show up in.

Gaston is absent in the BatB ride. They made Snow White's Scary Adventures less scary. Ursula has one scene in the Little Mermaid ride. Hans is shown doing something villainous on a screen for a split second in Frozen Journey.

Villains are prominently featured in seasonal stage shows and extra pay events, but outside of that, not so much.

Captain Hook is a notable exception because Pirates are their own thing.

KDM31091

I feel like they won't make a generic "Villains Land" because the trend is for things to be IP specific now. Also many villains are not really very fleshed out, so what stories are there to tell? How they became a villain? I just don't see in a practical sense how it would translate into attractions. Given the current lack of risk taking and creativity, if it is not directly tied to a specific movie, it probably isn't happening.

It's a fun idea. Just not sure how it would work in reality.

Animaniac93-98

Ideally you would group a bunch of Villains that at least have a shared aesthetic/tone.

Ursula, Dr Facillier, Yzma, The Queen of Hearts and Scar don't really have much in common, but doing what the Castle Mystery Tour did and grouping Maleficent, Bald Mountain, Snow Witch and the Horned King works because they all share a creepy gothic vibe. Unfortunately, Universal has already taken that with Dark Universe.

James Alucobond

Gaston is absent in the BatB ride. They made Snow White's Scary Adventures less scary. Ursula has one scene in the Little Mermaid ride. Hans is shown doing something villainous on a screen for a split second in Frozen Journey.

Villains are prominently featured in seasonal stage shows and extra pay events, but outside of that, not so much.

Captain Hook is a notable exception because Pirates are their own thing.
There aren't a lot of points of comparison here. Most Fantasyland villains get a blink-and-you-miss-it scene or two, classic attraction or otherwise. Ursula is actually notable for the significant length of her vignette.

Animaniac93-98

There aren't a lot of points of comparison here. Most Fantasyland villains get a blink-and-you-miss-it scene or two, classic attraction or otherwise. Ursula is actually notable for the significant length of her vignette.

The poster was looking for other recent examples of Disney not including or deemphasizing villains in their rides, I think all of which were fair examples.

The length of Ursula's scene isn't really relevant. The entire ride is much longer than a traditional bus bar dark ride, and it's been a common criticism of it that Ursula shows up and then is quickly forgotten (instead of the battle scene shown in the original proposal from the 90s).

Pre-2000, the traditional Fantasyland rides all had their villains, and Snow White and Pinocchio in particular were intentionally more foreboding than any book report ride of late Disney has done.

Moth

If merchandise sales are a deciding factor in what gets built, than Christmas Town and Halloween Town make way more sense than Zootopia, Coco, Villains or even Cars at this point.
IF that talked about sequel gets an official greenlight... Hm. I see it happening. It could be Disney's greatest response to Dark Universe in terms of the sheer revenue potential.

It could even be a 'forever Halloween event' akin to Uni's 'forever HHN' they're doing in Cali...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom