What is EPCOT now?

Jrb1979

No we aren't all "dumb hicks" but those of us that could see the value and enjoy the edutainment factor were not a big enough group to support the cost of operation. I think the last few years have shown that no one has ever won when they overestimated the collective intelligence of the modern world.
IMO they did start to change that when Test Track and Soarin were opened. They were fun attractions without IP attached to them. They should have continued with that.

As far as not accepting change., IMO it comes down to, those who like it don't care about theming as long as the family is having fun.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
My problem with Epcot and Disney as a whole is they went away from what they excelled at. That is immersive dark rides with lots of AAs. It's why Epcot was my favorite Disney park for so long. World of Motion and Horizons were 2 of the best dark rides Disney had.

Now they are trying to add immersive thrill rides that IMO lack thrill and are just a bunch of screens. I realize Disney will never do big thrill as it's not their audience. IMO leave the thrill to parks that know how to do it good.

Stop hiding coasters in a big box.

They can't change the climate or control the weather, but they can mitigate thier impact on the guest experience by enclosing rides.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
No we aren't all "dumb hicks" but those of us that could see the value and enjoy the edutainment factor were not a big enough group to support the cost of operation. I think the last few years have shown that no one has ever won when they overestimated the collective intelligence of the modern world.

When it opened, that sort of experience wasn't ubiquitous, now it's just a few keystrokes away for most.

IMHO, never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups. What else explains the popularity of the Kardashians?

Goofyernmost

IMO they did start to change that when Test Track and Soarin were opened. They were fun attractions without IP attached to them. They should have continued with that.

As far as not accepting change., IMO it comes down to, those who like it don't care about theming as long as the family is having fun.
Since that is the purpose of a theme park, I guess I don't see that as being wrong. Is it different than what we have become used to, a little, but after going there 40 years, seeing a lot of change, the one question I have never asked is... does this connect with any particular theme. It usually does in sometimes round about ways, but even if it didn't if it is well done, is entertaining and fun to the degree that I would go back and experience it again, that works for me.

Lilofan

Or those that buy popcorn buckets.
Lining up for popcorn buckets is nothing compared to the hundreds of die hard guests.. Back in the day during May Star Wars Weekends at DHS, Fri, Sat, Sun these guests camp out overnight and line up outside the Main Entrance prior to park opening Fri Sat and Sun mornings to get the coveted first come first serve spots to get autograph signings of the celebrities of the weekend.

Last edited:

Brer Panther

I will say that I'm not opposed to IP in EPCOT as a whole. I'm okay with having a Ratatouille ride in the France pavilion (if only the ride itself weren't lousy). I think Big Hero 6, Elemental, and WALL-E would all work well in the park.

Frozen, Moana and Guardians of the Galaxy, on the other hand? I don't think they really fit in EPCOT.

Colonel Angus

I don't understand the Moana thing there and especially where it is geographically. I'd have thought AK would be a better spot or at least in world showcase.

I love Epcot a ton but they definitely need to put some money into updating the world showcase pavillions and adding some new things or experiences to do there. They don't have to get political or even terribly historical, just add some new cultural experiences and foods. Maybe in Germany do a history of beer experience I don't know?

Personally I don't get the Marvel IP. They half assed a ton of it in CA Adventure and now it's sprinkled throughout various parks such as Epcot. It is a fun ride but I never saw the movies and don't care to. I liked the minimal IP of Epcot. I enjoyed some of the hands on tech things they used to have 10+ years ago in the front of the park.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom