What is Disney's 2nd most iconic song?

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I agree that "When You Wish Upon A Star" is THE Disney song. Disney has it as a theme song signalling the start of all their movies as well. All those other Disney songs have had their big moments in time when they were THE Disney song everyone was singing and they all can instantly be recognized as Disney. But I'd have to say #2 Disney is Zip A Dee Doo Dah.

I guess I should ask.......is there someone who can make an argument that "When You Wish Upon A Star" is NOT #1? Me personally, I can't, which is why I picked it #1 in the OP and just assumed it would be agreed upon.

Either way, it looks like the best bets for #2 are "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow", "Zip-A-Dee-Do-Da", "Its A Small World" and "Mickey Mouse Club Song". The final three almost everyone knows despite never setting foot in a Disney park. The first one I think you have to have been to Magic Kingdom to know it. So I would lean on the final three as the best options.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Okay, so I am thinking that while "Be Our Guest" doesn't necessarily have the history behind it (1991 was Beauty in the Beast) the truth is this song is used for a lot of promotional videos for Disney. On commercials and stuff too. After "When You Wish Upon a Star" I have to say this is definitely in the running for #2. If you hear this song you probably think about Disney parks before you do Beauty and the Beast.

GVentola

I've always thought of "Zip a Dee Doo Dah" and "When You Wish upon a Star" as Disney's two most iconic songs. I've even thought of "Zip a Dee Doo Dah" as number one, but after Wishes featured "When You Wish upon a Star", I guess I have to say that's probably number one. True that "Wish" isn't realistic. I find praying better than just wishing. But then, most of Disney's animated movies are unrealistic. Just think of them and the song as being in the fantasy genre. And Disney World is a "festival of fantasy", and that's okay with me.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

The Mickey Mouse Club theme. No doubt. That song has been known for generations. The whole Sherman catalog though is filled with iconic songs. I feel like post Renaissance Disney hasn't really had that many iconic songs. Winnie The Pooh deserves an honorable mention among iconic songs as well.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

I've always thought of "Zip a Dee Doo Dah" and "When You Wish upon a Star" as Disney's two most iconic songs. I've even thought of "Zip a Dee Doo Dah" as number one, but after Wishes featured "When You Wish upon a Star", I guess I have to say that's probably number one. True that "Wish" isn't realistic. I find praying better than just wishing. But then, most of Disney's animated movies are unrealistic. Just think of them and the song as being in the fantasy genre. And Disney World is a "festival of fantasy", and that's okay with me.
I will always think of When You Wish Upon A Star as the flagship song because I'm from the generation that grew up with The Wonderful World of Disney on tv and that always played that song. When we were married we even walked back down the aisle together to that song.

Mickey5150

In a few years it's going to be the Marvel theme or Star Wars theme. Hopefully we'll let it go before Let it Go because the iconic song.

Gelatoni

I'd say modern times "let it go" as much as people hate it. it's the only disney song i can remember getting normal radio airplay recently. I personally love Zip a Dee Doo Dah but disney acts like song of the south doesn't exist outside splash mountain.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think we can assume that "When You Wish Upon A Star" from Pinocchio is #1 right? No song identifies with Disney more and no song makes people associate with Disney more.

So what is #2?

Zip-A-Dee-Do-Da?
Under the Sea?
Heigh-Ho?
Can't Wait to be King?
The Mickey Mouse song?
It's a Small World?
You Can Fly?

Lots of options. Tell me what you think, or ones that aren't listed.

If we are talking about Disney in general and not just the parks, I would go with Zip-A-Dee-Do-Da.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
How ironic!! The majority (including myself) is going with "zip-a-dee-doo-dah"... a great song from a great film that Disney refuses to promote or release and pretends it doesn't even exist. Yet, they build a huge attraction based on it.

Ironic isn't it? A lovely movie to be honest, and as far as I am concerned classic Disney. Walt never had politics in his movies and this one is no different. Thank goodness for that, because we could all use the break from the real world. I don't know if Uncle Remus was specifically left off of Splash Mountain because they were afraid to highlight him or if he just didn't fit in with the whole Brer Rabbit theme. But it probably is the former. Funny how eventually Disney just said "Hey, let's make arguably our most popular attraction from our most controversial movie."

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Interesting thread. I'd say maybe "A wish is a dream your heart makes". It'd have to be something as old and classic as When you wish upon a star!

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Except for his demonization of all German and Japanese during World War II. But that's patriotic. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney's_World_War_II_propaganda_production

He was forced into that. The military sort of stationed themselves at the studio without his consent from what I've read. Walt being a proud American wanted to help him but it wasn't so much his choice either. Yet he knew they were on the right side of things and he had signed up for WWI prior to that. If you look at his movies, they weren't political, they were fantasy, and that's why people enjoyed them.

CoreNovawarAMM

It’s a Small World or Zip a Dee Doo Dah. I also thought of Whistle While You Work, A Whole New World, and A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom