What I think...as of today...for now...

Magenta Panther

First, if you (or anyone reading this) haven't seen the film in its entirety, I sincerely give you my HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION to do so as soon as possible. Open your heart to it completely, and be prepared to be taken on an emotional journey you will never forget! IMO, one of the great Masterpieces in all of cinema - NOT just animation!

It also has an awesome, fun, soundtrack from start to finish (both songs and score!)

Well, if kids aren't seeing it like they used to, no one can be blamed except the DISGRACE that the Disney Channel has become. Up until 2001, the Vault Disney programming block would show Walt's Classics regularly (both animation and live-action), and this allowed established fans to be reminded of older Walt-era live action classics they may have forgotten, as well as introduced younger fans to both the live-action AND Animated Classics they hadn't yet seen.

Like playing a song on a radio, a TV broadcast increases awareness and increases sales. But now that the Disney Channel can no longer be bothered to show any of Walt Disney's movies, (and the live action ones that do get shown are all on TCM or Hallmark), I guess that could be why awareness of the classics may be down among the current generation of kids. Which is both a tragedy and a travesty!

But I still say the DVD and now BD sales are helping at least enough kids become aware of these movies to make their presence in the park's "relevant". Even if it works in reverse (ie - instead of knowing about the movie BEFORE going to the parks, they love the characters IN the parks, which makes them seek out the movies!)

That's how it worked for me! When I was a little kid in the 70's home video had not started yet and my first exposure to the characters from the DACs (Disney Animated Classics) was in the MK and DL Fantasyland! I became fans of Dumbo, Snow White, Alice, Peter Pan, Pinocchio, Cinderella, etc., in the PARKS first, so when the movies would get their once every 7-10 years theatrical release, I would FLOCK to see them on the big screen! Not once, but usually 2 or 3 times during each run!

And then of course in the Home Video era I collected them all so I could watch them anytime I want!

If Snow White, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Cinderella, Alice, Peter Pan, etc - which were all "old" and between 25-40 years old when I first got into them - were timeless and "relevent" enough to make new fans in the 70's and 80's, they are STILL timeless and relevant enough to make new fans today - even if the exposure first comes from the parks and not the films.

Thank God for the parks to help keep the Legacy of these great films and characters alive - because Disney Channel sure has dropped the ball!

Bravo! Bravo! Well said! :sohappy:

I can understand why Disney wants to put stuff on its channel like Hannah Montana and Wizards of Waverly Place - as cheezy as they are. Those shows grab tween audiences, which is a very lucrative viewer demographic. But there's no reason for Disney Channel NOT to show a Walt Disney classic now and then. Or at least clips from some of the classics - like the "I've Got No Strings" scene from Pinocchio, or the "Silly Song" sequence from "Snow White", or "He's A Tramp" from Lady and the Tramp. I bet kids would love it. God knows they seldom see GOOD 2D animation these days. Everything's animated in Flash or CGI, especially on TV.

One idea would be for Disney to consider adapting the video game "Kingdom Hearts" as a TV show. That would certainly appeal to the tween demographic it seems to crave. And it'd be a great way to make Mickey and the gang seem cool again. I'd certainly watch it.

Mansion Butler

If I have one regret about the new plans, it's losing the Skyway station, waterfalls, and the vegetation that sprung up there since '71. It's one of the last holdouts of the original MK with its unique architecture, but I guess progresss progress (especiallly sincce the station is not utilized.)
And speaking of progress, there's a great. . .

Mansion Butler

There is something nostalgic about it. I remember riding those buckets and waiting in line to get on them at that station. It will be great to see that space active again.
When I stand around in Fantasyland, I think the thing I miss most about the Skyway is the kinetics. I can still sit there, even though I wasn't yet a teenager when they were taken out, and imagine them moving along through the air above that crowd. I like movement and business in the parks. I like having things to see.

Also, since so much of my time is spent at the Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain, it would be one more way to get across the park without boring old walking, and would take me right between my most frequented spots. :lol:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Sorry, noob question:

How large is the FLand skyway station in comparison to other attractions?
As it sits it would have roughly the same foot print as one of the spinner attractions (ie Dumbo, Magic Carpet, etc) If they were to level the place and rebuild from scratch they could possible double that size.

Tom

Beta Return
Sorry, noob question:

How large is the FLand skyway station in comparison to other attractions?

Incredibly small. What you see from the ground is essentially the entire building. There's a long walkway that winds up on the right, then the load/unload building. The Tomorrowland station was used to park the ride vehicles, so they didn't even have the extra "warehouse" space in FL.

Check it out on Google maps or Bing. You can see it from there, snuggled between HM and IASW.

_Scar

As it sits it would have roughly the same foot print as one of the spinner attractions (ie Dumbo, Magic Carpet, etc) If they were to level the place and rebuild from scratch they could possible double that size.

Well, that's nice!

They should try and just build a permanent princess character restaurant in that place...

jt04

Actually, more extensive M&Gs would probably enhance merch sales, as kids would want to purchase whatever they just played with.

The problem was that there was absolutely no way to cycle enough children through those elaborate M&Gs without creating huge waits.

Unless they overwhelm the MK with m&g locations which have flexible hours depending on crowds. Add rfid/wireless tech and bingo, no waits.

If I have one regret about the new plans, it's losing the Skyway station, waterfalls, and the vegetation that sprung up there since '71. It's one of the last holdouts of the original MK with its unique architecture, but I guess progress is progress (especially since the station is not utilized.)

Agreed. It's too perfect to tear down IMO. Repurposed, yes. Removed, nah.

Incredibly small. What you see from the ground is essentially the entire building. There's a long walkway that winds up on the right, then the load/unload building. The Tomorrowland station was used to park the ride vehicles, so they didn't even have the extra "warehouse" space in FL.

Check it out on Google maps or Bing. You can see it from there, snuggled between HM and IASW.

Exactly. This is one of the rumors that we are hearing that is such a stretch it calls into question many of the others. In addition to being such a tiny footprint it allows for backstage access which I would think must be preserved. And all or most of the princess m&g's are going there? Nah. Ain't happening any way I can envision. It would be the mother of all stroller traffic jams. :lol:

More AI.....

If they do an underground complex they could also add instead of or in addition to the mine ride.......

An undersea play area with LM theme similar to TDS (entrance on the north side facing LM)
A Wonderland play area similar to TDL you reach through a rabbit hole

Further, the above ground could look very similar to it how does in the artist renderings but even further realized. Remember the homes on the back lot tour people loved? Imagine in addition to the Chateau and millhouse, you had a Toad Mansion facade, Snow White house facade, Alice's house etc etc. So as you walked around the entire complex you could have amazing theming. Some could contain m&g's, some shops and some eateries.

:)

ChrisM

The concept leans closer to a combination dark ride/coaster, like Revenge of the Mummy—but NOT on that scale! Crush's Coaster at Disney Studios Paris is a bit closer.

I'm envisioning something almost identical to Crush's Coaster from DLP but with more interspersed "slow" sections like at the beginning of the CC ride after the first outdoor back to indoor transition.

I'm also assuming the spinning aspect of CC would be retained in some fashion, if only for the purposes of providing for more direct viewing of show scenes.

Tom

Beta Return
Exactly. This is one of the rumors that we are hearing that is such a stretch it calls into question many of the others. In addition to being such a tiny footprint it allows for backstage access which I would think must be preserved. And all or most of the princess m&g's are going there? Nah. Ain't happening any way I can envision. It would be the mother of all stroller traffic jams. :lol:

I completely agree. The FL skyway station is the only abandoned facility in all of WDW that I never even notice, and that's because it's theme, location and naturally growing environment have made it appear like it's supposed to be there.

If they tear it down, they'll have to build something equally as tall, because the HM building is huge, and right behind it. During construction, you'll be able to see the side of a giant green warehouse for quite some time.

If it were to provide a mng for princesses, they'd have to wear their peasant clothing - not their gowns. They'll be far outside the castle grounds, and will be in a Bavarian cottage/lodge area. I think Pixies would make sense though, since it's across from Peter Pan, which is where Tink started. Pixies can live anywhere. Princesses can't.

jt04

I completely agree. The FL skyway station is the only abandoned facility in all of WDW that I never even notice, and that's because it's theme, location and naturally growing environment have made it appear like it's supposed to be there.

If they tear it down, they'll have to build something equally as tall, because the HM building is huge, and right behind it. During construction, you'll be able to see the side of a giant green warehouse for quite some time.

If it were to provide a mng for princesses, they'd have to wear their peasant clothing - not their gowns. They'll be far outside the castle grounds, and will be in a Bavarian cottage/lodge area. I think Pixies would make sense though, since it's across from Peter Pan, which is where Tink started. Pixies can live anywhere. Princesses can't.

Clever about the peasent clothing! Very clever :lol:

IWant2GoNow

I just can't picture Pixies or Princesses in the Skyway spot. I realize thematically it works either way, but it's such a cramped spot for either to house such popular M&Gs.

Lee

Adventurer
Original Poster
I'm envisioning something almost identical to Crush's Coaster from DLP but with more interspersed "slow" sections like at the beginning of the CC ride after the first outdoor back to indoor transition.

I'm also assuming the spinning aspect of CC would be retained in some fashion, if only for the purposes of providing for more direct viewing of show scenes.
It really will have very little in common with Crush.
For starters: Not as intense, no spinning and it will use coaster trains, not individual cars.

IWant2GoNow

Take a look at Disneylands. It will make more sense.

I can't find a good pic of the whole area and how big it is. I see some inside stuff and some outside pictures where they created the tall grass and mushrooms and things.

Kind of an odd transition from LS to PH, but if that's what they decide to do I'm sure they'll do it right.

JustInTime

I can't find a good pic of the whole area and how big it is. I see some inside stuff and some outside pictures where they created the tall grass and mushrooms and things.

Kind of an odd transition from LS to PH, but if that's what they decide to do I'm sure they'll do it right.

I agree. I thought the same thing you did until I watched the Disneyland DVD from my Disney Parks DVD set. It would be perfect.

JustInTime

Do you have any maps or pictures of Disneyland's?

No, just the Disney Parks 6 disc dvd set. They take a tour of it and it seems about the same size as the Skyway station. Enough room for about 3-4 of them to meet. You should see it. It is really nice. They did a great job with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom