What I think...as of today...for now...

jt04

Dude....really...hyperbole this early in the day?:rolleyes:

I do not see this as an improvement on what was promised at the D23 Expo. Especially the overwhelmingly derivative circus-land.

Seriously, this is not better and this is what happens when WDI gets run by committee. Everyone thinks they can out "WDI" WDI. But it never improves the product. You see this same mindset in the movie business. George Lucas created his own studio because of it.

Suits. :rolleyes:

djkidkaz

Im just wondering how then can really continue any construction if they are redoing a whole section like this? I mean, you have to check out site lines and whats going to conflict with other stuff, etc. This all seems very quickly put together. My concern is that they are going to build Mermaid and B&tB and then have to piece together a Snow White section with a mine coaster and try to make it work, when it was never intended for the area.

Also, I know someone said awhile back that the artwork for the cottages had been removed off the fantasyland construction walls. Has anyone ever confirmed this?

Lee

Adventurer
Original Poster
I do not see this as an improvement on what was promised at the D23 Expo. Especially the overwhelmingly derivative circus-land.

Seriously, this is not better and this is what happens when WDI gets run by committee. Everyone thinks they can out "WDI" WDI. But it never improves the product. You see this same mindset in the movie business. George Lucas created his own studio because of it.

The "Dumbo's Circus" land was announced at D23. It's not new, nor surprising. The only change is the removal of PH, which was mostly a "Phase 2" place-holder anyway.

I see the addition of another D ticket as a huge bonus. The M&Gs will happen, the great theming and placemaking will happen. Other than some "fringe" changes to the overdone M&Gs, nothing will be lost.

Win for everybody.

And this is not WDI run by a comittee any more than it ever is.
Much of what is happening is a return to plans that predated what was announced at D23.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
The "Dumbo's Circus" land was announced at D23. It's not new, nor surprising. The only change is the removal of PH, which was mostly a "Phase 2" place-holder anyway.

I see the addition of another D ticket as a huge bonus. The M&Gs will happen, the great theming and placemaking will happen. Other than some "fringe" changes to the overdone M&Gs, nothing will be lost.

Win for everybody.

Except for airmchair Imagineers whose plans aren't going the way they want....:rolleyes:

Lee

Adventurer
Original Poster
Im just wondering how then can really continue any construction if they are redoing a whole section like this? I mean, you have to check out site lines and whats going to conflict with other stuff, etc. This all seems very quickly put together. My concern is that they are going to build Mermaid and B&tB and then have to piece together a Snow White section with a mine coaster and try to make it work, when it was never intended for the area.

In fact, the SW coaster was always designed for that area. It got bumped for the M&G complex, which it in return has bumped.

None of this is happening all that quickly. What we have spent a week or two trying to figure out, was put into motion months ago.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
In fact, the SW coaster was always designed for that area. It got bumped for the M&G complex, which it in return has bumped.

None of this is happening all that quickly. What we have spent a week or two trying to figure out, was put into motion months ago.

Lee, any idea on just how long the FLE plans were in the pipeline? Were there always some "Blue Sky" ideas floating around, or was this expansion a relatively new concept brought into existance?

ChrisM

While this sounds like an expansion of the "original" Dumbo-themed area, can anyone say with any certainty if that is the case? Will the "Dumbo-land" now be larger than initially proposed? If so, I'm somewhat surprised that they wouldn't simply re-purpose existing parts of TTF, such as Mickey's House.

It would have been nice if they'd carve out a space for a small, DL-style Pixie Hollow. Oh well.

And I'm curious as to how they will design the exterior of a mine ride to fit into the "Fantasy Forest" theme.

WDW Vacationer

Thanks a bunch Lee! :sohappy: :wave:

The D-ticket mine coaster sounds good,making a total of 2 rides for the expansion,with the slight possibility of a 3rd in SWSA's place. Very nice.

I don't see why the princesses just don't go to the Skyway station now. But,as long as their area at SWSA is not permanent,I'm fine.

This should broaden the appeal quite a bit,too.

Dumbo seems a bit too big,but we'll see what they do with it. I just envision a lot of dead space.

Question-If the princesses go to Expo Hall,does that mean SWSA stays. Or do they go to Expo Hall-SWSA-Permanent spot?

Thanks again! :sohappy:

orky8

While I will agree with you that I'm not a huge fan of all this circus stuff (and I think that is a fairly consensus statement, it we are honest with ourselves), it is still a vast improvement over the D23 announcement as long a SWSA turned M&G eventually turns back into another ride.

Look at the leaked blueprints. The only thing PH had to offer according the prints are a M&G and a play area. That was it. That is now replaced with food and merchandise. Not an improvement, but perhaps something that is more needed. Barnstormer needed a retheming and dueling dumbos was always slated to be circus themed, so essentially I see FLE East as wash. Not the best theme, but neither was the original.

Now, lets look at FLE West, which I think is a tremendous improvement. Cindy/Aurora M&G was weak. Though the Cindy one I thought could be cool, to waste such a large amount of land on it was my biggest issue. Look at the leaked blueprint on how much space the actual attraction takes up and how much space the Chateau was taking up -- what a waste. FLE West needed another ride. Now it is getting it. Of course, we are also losing a ride, so as long as SWSA is ultimately replaced with another ride once the temporary M&G find a permanent home, I will be very happy with these changes.

Also, while I personally love thirll rides, I hope the mine coaster is not too thrilling. Fantasyland, above all other lands, should be rides kids and adults can do together. I think the mine "coaster" concept is awesome. But I want the thrill aspect to come through good theming, and good music. To wit, copying Grizzly Hall, which does look like a very cool ride, would not be a good fit, IMO. I have high hopes for the mine "coaster," and I will withhold my criticisms of it, until we have more information to be able to criticize.

ToTBellHop

Awesome!

I'm hoping this is a kind of dark ride/family coaster-hybrid? I'll be interested to see how they will deal with capacity issues, as a simple coaster with 4-person mine coasters will not do in the MK.

I think the source of jt's responses may be that he is seemingly being proven wrong...no surprise to most of us.

Lee

Adventurer
Original Poster
Lee, any idea on just how long the FLE plans were in the pipeline? Were there always some "Blue Sky" ideas floating around, or was this expansion a relatively new concept brought into existance?

Blue Sky planning began back in 2006. The project went through a few different phases, concepts plugged in, pulled out, etc. Until they settled on what we saw last year with the blueprints and then the art/model.
The new SW ride was an early concept that was pulled in favor of the M&Gs. Thankfully, cooler heads have prevailed.

ChrisM

Is the ride, in fact, an actual coaster or is it something more along the lines of a dark ride with an enhanced motion vehicle (Dinosaur, Indy) or some other hybrid ride system?

Or, to put it another way, are we actually talking about a coaster or is that just the convenient shorthand for now?

njDizFan

Wow JT how times have changed. I think there is a doom and gloom forum somewhere in your LAUGHING place.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Blue Sky planning began back in 2006. The project went through a few different phases, concepts plugged in, pulled out, etc. Until they settled on what we saw last year with the blueprints and then the art/model.
The new SW ride was an early concept that was pulled in favor of the M&Gs. Thankfully, cooler heads have prevailed.

Sounds like it. Thanks again. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom