What has become of Disney?

CaptainAmerica

"Each MagicBand contains an HF Radio Frequency device and a transmitter which sends and receives RF signals through a small antenna inside the MagicBand and enables it to be detected at short-range touch points throughout Walt Disney World Resort. MagicBands can also be read by long-range readers located at Walt Disney World Resort used to deliver personalized experiences, as well as provide information that helps us improve the overall experience in our parks."

- https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/my-disney-experience/frequency-technology/
Um, that's exactly what I said. "Long range" doesn't mean it can see the entire Magic Kingdom at one time. It's like 30 feet per reader. There's not reader visibility to every footpath in the park.

rucifee

Um, that's exactly what I said. "Long range" doesn't mean it can see the entire Magic Kingdom at one time. It's like 30 feet per reader. There's not reader visibility to every footpath in the park.

If that's what you want to believe. It would be foolish to assume they aren't tracking and collecting data since they said they are doing exactly that in that FAQ. It might be anonymized, or it might not be but they're definitely collecting it.

bpadair32

If that's what you want to believe. It would be foolish to assume they aren't tracking and collecting data since they said they are doing exactly that in that FAQ. It might be anonymized, or it might not be but they're definitely collecting it.

IMO who cares? Not only are you in public, you are on their property, you do not have an expectation of privacy.

rucifee

IMO who cares? Not only are you in public, you are on their property, you do not have an expectation of privacy.

Some people do care, or it wouldn't be in the FAQ. Personally, like I've already said, I see value in it. I think the technology is interesting.

JoeV

Original Poster

Does one have en expectation that one would not be filmed on video camera inside a restroom stall or changing booth? Yes.

One does not give up expectations of privacy simply by entering onto private property.Owners of private property are not legally entitled to such things or your personal information It doesn't matter if you are on their property or not.

But I am sure that in regards to the magic band, the fine print on the admission contract to the park states that certain data will be collected from the magic band and that by entering, you agree to this and do not have any issue with it. You are basically giving permission.

French Quarter

Interesting. I did not know they used geotracking on the magic band.

All they would learn from my tracking is, 'This guy doesn't like Magic Kingdom that much.'

The only thing I was leery about was linking a credit card to the magic band. They said then I could just use the band to buy things in the park without having to use my card etc..I opted out. That kind of spooked me a bit. Firstly, it is too easy to impulse buy stuff that way. Just like with online shopping, it's easy to not see it as using real money and you can buy things you normally wouldn't on impulse as opposed to if you had to pull out your card or cash you might think twice. Also, I am not sure sure about security. If someone got hold of your magic band, whats stopping them from running amok and going on a shopping spree? All you need to do is swipe the band.

The only thing I purchased on the whole visit was one of the rain ponchos. Other than that, didn't spend anything. I used the meal plan and soda refills with the mug.

I don't see how this is any different from the KTTW cards that they used to give you. Not really a Magic Band issue.

JoeV

Original Poster
That is a completely different level of privacy.

Not really. One is entitled to expectations of privacy unless you agree to give up these expectations in part or in whole. That's why businesses and such have fine print on their contacts about disclosure, privacy, personal information etc. Courts have already ruled on this all the way up to the Supreme Court. Being on private property really has nothing to do with it. Nobody has a right to your personal information unless you freely agree to give it up either explicitly or as part of some contract. Disney is no exception.

wdwjmp239

...The only thing I was leery about was linking a credit card to the magic band. They said then I could just use the band to buy things in the park without having to use my card etc..I opted out. That kind of spooked me a bit....

How is this different from any other hotel that links a credit card to your room key/pass? I'm not a fan of it, either, but I know it's their job to ask if you want the card linked to the magic band.

French Quarter

Umbrella strollers only work depending on how old your kids is. They're not great for sleeping, don't work for infants very well, and are uncomfortable for bigger kids. That said, the jogging strollers with the giant wheels are obnoxious too. I love something like this as a happy medium:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/inde...443.2255983.2256189.2256203&parentPage=search

Maybe it comes down to preference. I only ever had cheap umbrella strollers with my kids. The ones I bought reclined a little bit. Of course, I only used them from 0 to 3 so I imagine you are right when you say they don't work for older kids. But they certainly worked for newborns just fine.

French Quarter

It could be used to get into your room though, as there's no pin code required. A few people have figured out how to clone them already, but I won't link to those articles in-case that's against forum rules.

Some people put the bands in their bags, or in their pockets because after a while they can become uncomfortable. I can see several scenarios where it would be possible, but not simple to take advantage of the magic bands. Disney did a pretty good job with security, but it doesn't seem like it's quite fool proof.

You're right about the card too. Unfortunately to take advantage of some of the benefits at WDW you have to have your card on hand anyway, like the VISA photo or the passholder discounts for example. You always should keep your ID and a credit card with you regardless, you never know when you'll need it.

So you are imagining someone stealing your magic band and then going to every room on property until they hit your room so they could steal your underwear?

French Quarter

Not really. One is entitled to expectations of privacy unless you agree to give up these expectations in part or in whole. That's why businesses and such have fine print on their contacts about disclosure, privacy, personal information etc. Courts have already ruled on this all the way up to the Supreme Court. Being on private property really has nothing to do with it. Nobody has a right to your personal information unless you freely agree to give it up either explicitly or as part of some contract. Disney is no exception.

Why are you debating this? What they are doing is perfectly legal. The MB have been around for awhile now and, before they ever came out, this was all discussed ad nauseum. It's like you are just making up thing after thing to complain about.

rucifee

So you are imagining someone stealing your magic band and then going to every room on property until they hit your room so they could steal your underwear?

Oh it would be much simpler than that. :D Whomever wanted in would probably already know the room number long before they took the band. That wasn't the point though, there are weaknesses. I didn't say it was significant or even worthwhile.

I don't see how this is any different from the KTTW cards that they used to give you. Not really a Magic Band issue.

Except that instead of being tucked away in your bag, in your pocket, or in your wallet, you're wearing it making it more vulnerable to someone who wants it.

Again, it's just an observation and not a problem.

draybook

Sounds like that was just an issue with the band... It's technology, it's not perfect.

I was there mid September as well. I've been there every September for the last 6 years or so. The crowds were just slightly larger than they have been, but I wouldn't say "overwhelming". If it was too much for you, definitely don't go during the summer.

I mean, it's a tourist attraction. Of course there's going to be a lot of shops. It's a business when all is said and done, they're in it for profit.

This is a highly offensive statement. How does one "look" disabled, exactly? There are many illnesses that do not have any outward physical appearance, but can still cause the need for someone to use a little help getting around. I feel like you were just having a bad time, so are finding any little thing to pick on.

Okay, I hope wherever else you choose to vacation is better than your bad experience. But maybe give it another chance. If you hadn't been in a long time, there were a lot of changes. Maybe you just had this romanticized notion of what Disney was supposed to be... and there were a few small instances that didn't meet that notion. Have you called Disney? Try that, it's a lot quicker way to get to someone than sending an e-mail or making a grumpy post on a message board.

I'm sorry you had a bad time.

I would have to politely disagree with you. We been going in September since 08, and this was way more than "just slightly more than normal". We've never seen a sold out Halloween party before in September, there were two out of the three we attended. The amount of foreign travelers alone was overwhelming.

bpadair32

Some people do care, or it wouldn't be in the FAQ. Personally, like I've already said, I see value in it. I think the technology is interesting.

I didn't mean that no one cared, I meant that no one should.

Does one have en expectation that one would not be filmed on video camera inside a restroom stall or changing booth? Yes.

One does not give up expectations of privacy simply by entering onto private property.Owners of private property are not legally entitled to such things or your personal information It doesn't matter if you are on their property or not.

But I am sure that in regards to the magic band, the fine print on the admission contract to the park states that certain data will be collected from the magic band and that by entering, you agree to this and do not have any issue with it. You are basically giving permission.

If you are in public (this does not include a restroom) you do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

SandraAnn

Umbrella strollers only work depending on how old your kids is. They're not great for sleeping, don't work for infants very well, and are uncomfortable for bigger kids. That said, the jogging strollers with the giant wheels are obnoxious too. I love something like this as a happy medium:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/inde...443.2255983.2256189.2256203&parentPage=search

That's a nice stroller, reminds me of a Maclaren. And twenty inches shorter than a jogging stroller! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom