What has become of Disney?

The Mighty Tim

You did things, alright. Where's the beef?

Oh, here's some!

"We intended to ride the Safari, but the standby line was over 60 minutes, so we did the nearby nature walk instead."

A $1,000 nature walk. :D

Seems like you did a lot of nothing while you were in WDW but a lot of things when you weren't. You tell a telling tale Tim. :D

I said it was harder to do this year. And I admit that we were unable to do one or two things. But we all still had a good time.

SandraAnn

The question remains, why are there so many morbidly obese scooter riders at WDW and not at other Orlando parks? Is it that Disney offers better accommodations for these so-called "disabled" people (I think not) or is it that WDW offers more food options, in particular the 38 buffet-style meals?

Not sure what you are going after with the obese references but as far people who need scooters in general. Very simple, two reasons
1) because the rides are calmer at WDW.
2) And as long as you can get on an airplane from your home city, they will take care of all your transportation needs from that point on. It's a very accessible vacation. There are a lot of vacation destinations that people can't go or wouldn't enjoy if they have mobility issues.

PrincessJenn5795

I think the difference is there appeared to be a large number of scooter rental spots at the front of the disney parks and at the resort lodging. They seem to implicitly encourage the use of scooters. I won't debate the reason people use scooters other than to say it appears to me that a large percentage of the users just don't want to walk. I will leave it at that.

Sorry, but it appears to me that you are very judgmental. My mother-in-law (MS), step-mom (lupus), and husband (cancer) all look perfectly normal and not sick, what ever that means. Someone like you would look at any of them and think they "just don't want to walk" aka, are lazy, on the occasions they have used scooters because of fatigue, pain, and/or balance issues caused by their diseases., especially if you notice they don't have to use them at all times. On those occasions I am so thankful that there are scooters available so they can continue to enjoy the parks with my kids. Maybe you would enjoy your trip more if you weren't so focused on the negative.

PrincessJenn5795

No Scooters. Wheelchairs only. Powered Chairs ok.
Do you really think that someone who can't operate a scooter would be able to operate a powered chair any better? Powered chairs use those little joystick things, and would probably be even more difficult to get the hang of.

I really didn't want to start a fight about scooters. I just commented there appeared to be a lot at disney when compared to other theme parks.
No, you didn't just say that...you said a lot of people who don't look like they need them are there. Had you left it at the number and left out the judgement you probably (well, maybe) wouldn't have gotten then pushback.

Johny Cash version or Depeche Mode version?
It was Nine Inch Nails who did the original, not Depeche Mode. Both versions are awesome though.

s8film40

I recently visited Disney World for a week in the middle of September. I had been to the park once before in the 90's.
This is your problem right here. WDW of the 90's and current WDW are two completely different resorts. If you were a fan of WDW in the 90's and haven't grown with and learned to tolerate all the changes over time you will probably find Universal to be a closer match to your expectations now.

Disnee4Me

I have to admit, my DH is not thrilled about this upcoming Christmas trip. Having to book restaurants 6 months in advance, fastpasses 2 months in advance kind of takes away the spontaneity of the trip. Do I really know in June where I want to eat on a Tuesday night in December??? He has sworn this will be his last trip there (it's practically a free trip with Disney $$$s and buying gift cards at Target by cashing in Discover $$$s), but he's lost his love of the parks. Thinking back to 2002 when my older DS was just 12, he looked at one of the guide books and said "let's try LTT for dinner for Grandma's birthday". We got reservations for the very next night ... and this was in August. It was a last minute decision and it was so much fun for both the adults and the kids. I'll miss that.

JoeV

Original Poster
This is your problem right here. WDW of the 90's and current WDW are two completely different resorts. If you were a fan of WDW in the 90's and haven't grown with and learned to tolerate all the changes over time you will probably find Universal to be a closer match to your expectations now.

Yes. My complaints are no doubt based on expectations that were derived on a visit decades prior. So they are skewed in that sense.But I think there is still valid criticism that can be offered, regardless of this. I didn't dislike the experience. I just found a portion of it to be lacking, mostly in the heart and soul area, as mentioned, which is what you naturally think of when Disney comes to mind. I don't know if it is possible for Disney World to really get away from the mechanical scheduling script that is realistically required to experience a lot of what they offer.

I have been to Universal before. Same for Busch gardens. Each theme park has its own pros and cons and you can find something to enjoy at each.

s8film40

Yes. My complaints are no doubt based on expectations that were derived on a visit decades prior. So they are skewed in that sense.But I think there is still valid criticism that can be offered, regardless of this. I didn't dislike the experience. I just found a portion of it to be lacking, mostly in the heart and soul area, as mentioned, which is what you naturally think of when Disney comes to mind. I don't know if it is possible for Disney World to really get away from the mechanical scheduling script that is realistically required to experience a lot of what they offer.

I have been to Universal before. Same for Busch gardens. Each theme park has its own pros and cons and you can find something to enjoy at each.
It's literally taken me years to come to terms that the WDW I knew and loved is absolutely gone forever. Once I accepted that I can enjoy it at least for what it is. That feeling you describe of heart and soul as well as the excitement of immersive theming I've mostly replaced with my trips to Universal. WDW for me is a mix of reminiscing, being sad that it's gone and enjoying what they have now, which isn't on that 80's & 90's era level but some of it's ok.

JoeV

Original Poster
It's literally taken me years to come to terms that the WDW I knew and loved is absolutely gone forever. .

That sounds depressing. :jawdrop:

I also wonder how much of the dislike is also just a generational factor and wanting the kids to stop skateboarding on our driveway. I am not old but not a young'n. The new generation of Disney fans have been weaned on CGI movies and grown up learning how to text while walking. So they are used to a more fast paced type of style. They will see things much differently.

An example: I don't care much for Star Wars. Never did. Seeing the Star Wars stuff in a Disney park took getting used to. Blending Luke Skywalker with Mickey Mouse is kind of like mixing nuts and gum. The two together just don't compute in my mind. Disney is the last thing that comes to my mind when I think of Star Wars.

wdwjmp239

....What is with people on scooters? Strollers are expected. Wheelchairs here and there yes. But tons of people are riding around on scooters that don't look in any way disabled. It is crowded enough without having to dodge electric vehicles rushing to get wherever they are going....

JoeV,

You were doing pretty good with the post until I read this and about flipped my wig! I'm not sure how able-bodied you are that you can get around the parks, but I will tell you that being the 41 year old son of a 79 year old father that requires the use of those scooters, these are an absolute necessity for those who can't walk for more than 10 minutes without something in their body hurting. I always tell people (and I'm going to tell you the same) that you don't know their story, so assume the worse. For all you know, they probably have a medical condition that warrants them to use the scooters.

Now, I will tell you this (and this is my opinion) that I firmly believe that if you rent an electric scooter from Disney, they should ask for medical proof that you require one. Those scooters are pretty expensive to purchase without medical insurance. My father said that his cost $4,000 without insurance, but because of the severity of his arthritis, his insurance picked up 100% of the cost. So, I highly doubt people would be THAT stupid to drop that kind of coin on a scooter before leaving to go on their family Disney trip. Then again, I really wouldn't put it past those people anyways.

I'm just asking that you have some patience when you see these scooters around the parks and don't let my father (or someone's grandparents) ruin your fun in the parks. :)

Thanks!

Incomudro

Whilst that may be true in some cases it is not in all & to tar everyone with the same brush only makes you look ignorant & uninformed.

I hope for all your sakes that you & yours never find yourself on the receiving side of these thoughtless comments at some future point & if you do I hope you have enough integrity left to feel chagrin at what you have said. However sadly I doubt that will be the case, none of us knows what life has in store & its all to easy to make stupid comments that will turn round & bite you years down the line.

I am not saying there aren't scammers but rather than bleat about what is within the current rules, why not campaign to get them changed & make your ADA system more robust. Make it legally acceptable for people to be asked to supply reasonable evidence of their disability needs therefore greatly reducing the capacity for scamming. Get obesity removed as a recognised disability, all of which would help.

This is something that we have had to do in Europe for years, no one gripes, no one complains that their constitutional rights have been violated, if you want or need a concession you are expected to provide evidence of your entitlement pure & simple. No proof no accomodation & no right to appeal or seek legal recompense & being morbidly obese on its own gets you no where over here.

I didn't paint all people with the same brush.
I said "some people," and made a further subset of that group by saying "many of those" now largely immobile people.
If the description does not fit you, I don't understand why you would have a problem with it.
I truly understand what a godsend mobility scooters have been for people who's world had become closed off.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of George Costanzas out there - and yes I believe that these scooters are increasing the obesity of many of their riders.

French Quarter

You have to retrain your brain to expect it to be a competition rather than a magical vacation. If you do that, you can have an OK time in the parks.

If I wasn't having a magical time in the parks, I wouldn't be going to them. This is what I'm not understanding. If you are going to spend that kind of cash, why wouldn't you go somewhere that met your expectations?

French Quarter

Those people with the jogging strollers get their dues when they try to collapse it to get on the tram. It's a huge pain and it takes up two adult seats. The cheap umbrella strollers are great because they collapse, take up no room in the tram and don't care if they are stolen.

This is what I think of every time I see one. If people want to deal with those big bulky things, I don't care. But when mine were little, I opted for the smallest, easiest to fold stroller...and it was also the cheapest.

French Quarter

I went in September this year, and got by just fine without using FP+ at all, and booking one ADR (it was somewhere we knew we wanted to go to, so we booked it advance).

Rest of the time, we just winged it. Granted it was harder to do that this year than in previous instances, but it wasn't impossible.

There are plenty of people who go and don't use FP or ADRs and they have a great time. So, I never get this complaint. If you don't want to use them, don't.

rucifee

If I wasn't having a magical time in the parks, I wouldn't be going to them. This is what I'm not understanding. If you are going to spend that kind of cash, why wouldn't you go somewhere that met your expectations?

Or maybe you could say something about it and if enough others with similar opinions did too it would be fixed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom