What Happens to WDW / Disney Parks during a massive correction / recession?

eliza61nyc

I see this has moved into the doctrine phase…everyone enjoy that 😎
Lol, so let's get back on track. We can argue all day the why's, how's and the who's to blame of this current quagmire

What will the mouse world do? Frankly I wonder if a recession will get a change in leadership 🤔. Lol might be worth it (a joke folks, I recognize a lot of people are struggling)

I wonder too if Disney will move into that special place that no matter the economy folks will go. I do know a few friends that got hit hard from the pandemic (losing friends etc). NY got slammed in the beginning so I do have Friends and family that sort of had a "come to Jesus" moment. No matter what they are no longer putting off enjoying life. Now they may not go to wdw but even with the economy tanking they are determined to take vacations.
I think how one handles hard times is 1/2 economics and the other 1/2 emotional

CuteAsMinnie

Without the government's "help" we should actually hit the bottom and bounce back up. Historically that is what has happened.

It makes sense, too. You reach a point where you think, "Hey, this (whatever) is so cheap I'd be a fool not to take a chance on it!"

Unfortunately, people get scared and government "helps" and that "help" makes the bottom last a decade or longer. You see this with the Great Depression. You see this with 2008. People believe, wrongly, that "it'd have been so much worse if the government hadn't helped!" when, in reality, their "help" slows the correction and makes the pain last longer.

Government is how we got the $30T in debt. In good times government spends more money than it has because, "look at all of this extra money!" In bad times they spend more than they have because, "We have to spend money to get us past this crisis!" <<< ALL THEY DO IS WASTE MONEY AND THEY ARE THE CRISIS! (before anyone gets their feathers ruffled: Dems and Reps alike)

Government is how it takes us 20 years and $Ts of dollars having the most advanced/capable military in the world which can't win a war. The only war we've won since WWII was Grenada. Just to add: To me that would be the scariest thing imaginable: Knowing that the USA was going to use it's military might against you and, if you paid attention to history, knowing that your side will eventually win, but they'll make the pain last decades (not because of soldiers but because of politics)... Any other country would come in, defeat you, and things are roughly back to normal, or some kind of normal, a year or so later.

You don't want their "help".

It's not Dems against Reps. It's US (citizens) against them (politicians/bureaucrats).

If you were to sit everyone down who's reading this at a table, black, white, gay, hispanic, etc. - You'd find that we all LARGELY agree on most topics. The topics that are left are things we quibble over. We're all on the same page for 95%+ of things. If anything, we have different ideas to solve the same problems but we should and can work together on those. We can differ on those solutions and still be friends.

We're only divided because they (politicians) actively work to divide us.
Who has “helped” the people of Chicago since many lifetimes ago. Has it gotten better or worse?

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
WDW will be just fine. Folks with money are not bothered by recession, they will continue to show up.

Let's say the recession/correction increases to full force. These folks may have a BETTER guest experience as the parks will not be mobbed with the regular folks..

Most of our favorite memories in recent years were in early pandemic months when there was little travel and very low crowds. It's unpopular here but I'd take low crowds and decreased entertainment over high crowds and increased entertainment. We stayed at Poly with the hotel side closed, O'Hana closed, the GCH monorail closed, and a ton of construction around and I'd take that again over the big crowds.

At that time I felt okay because most could make a choice to travel or not. I'd probably feel some guilt doing the same travel during a pandemic with knowledge that people were not necessarily electing to travel but were essentially forced to not travel because of the costs

Lilofan

Are the parks really packed? or are the parks so understaffed that it appears they are packed?
When some rides have over 2 hour wait times , will more staffing get the guests wait times to experience the attraction will be decreased? That argument doesn't fly.

Lilofan

One thing I think WDW did well in '08 and '09 was to bring in foreign tourist. The dollar became 'cheap' for many overseas visitors. I think more of the world is/will be hurting this time so I doubt it would work the same in these times, but they really seemed to bulk up on international visitors back then.
That's true. Orlando discount outlet malls on I-Drive were a favorite of South American tourists especially.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A reminder:

1. Disney parks are designed as mass attendance destinations. It’s how they generate profit
2. Pricing is no longer “recession proof” due to Bobism…so massive discounts would have to be deployed.
3. Disney is banking there will never be a long recession. Again. Ever.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The closest comparison has to be 1978-80. Huge inflation and vehicle fuel was a major issue. And to be fair, while all this was going on, Disney was planning and building it's second gate at WDW.
Yes…

But kinda a different world then as far as travel and frivolous spending. Most Americans at that time had NEVER been in an airplane at that point.

I’d say you still gotta go with 2009-12. Which Bob kinda did an end around on. Credit to him…in the short term.

Diamond Dot

I don't think they are getting the same amount of UK/Eire/European guests as they did before Covid judging by the fact we are getting these great offers for 2023 as we did for 2022. I was amazed they are still doing it and instead of it being just dining credits, you can use it on merchandise too. The problem is the cost of flights is what is putting people off and VA is making it difficult to use the points. On my last trip, in March, the dining credit helped, but, I didn't buy as much as I usually do, absolutely no T-shirts as I realised I hardly wore them and there was no way I was paying the silly money for them and the sweaters. I bought pins and things I can put on display.

I'm not bragging, but, I have to admit that I'm not hugely affected by the current economic crisis, my utilities have risen sharply, but, I have wiggle room to cut back so the increase isn't as bad as it is for some. I have a car, but, hardly use it, I walk everywhere and only use it for the occassional big supermarket shop, but, most of the time I walk to the shops. I never do take outs, I have no streaming services and I'm a big fan of charity (goodwill) shops. I stopped buying magazines once I downloaded the Libby app. In the UK we do have a great welfare system, I don't personally get anything from it apart from the NHS and free prescriptions, but, I know it's a lot tougher for people in the US. But at the end of the day Disney is a business, not a charity, and if you can't afford to go it's no good putting yourself in debt so you can go in the next year or two, the best action is to save.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Friends with some from Sao Paolo who vacation in Orlando. Outlets love Brazil folks And part of I-Drive is called Little Brazil.
It’s a rather small part of the total travelers to Orlando

What that is really product availability differences. It’s not just for South America. Though the exchange rate is favorable.

OPO used to be an extension of the United Kingdom circa 2000. I imagine bag fees did a lot to kill that.

Wdw isn’t…nor never was…”full of Brazilians”.
Let’s clear up that myth.

Lilofan

It’s a rather small part of the total travelers to Orlando

What that is really product availability differences. It’s not just for South America. Though the exchange rate is favorable.

OPO used to be an extension of the United Kingdom circa 2000. I imagine bag fees did a lot to kill that.

Wdw isn’t…nor never was…”full of Brazilians”.
Let’s clear up that myth.
It was never full but Disney likes when Brazilian groups visit in droves during summertime and can be visibly seen ( and heard ) in the theme parks. In 1999 when we were at HS, it was a first to see and hear the last 2 Indy shows were performed and spoken in the Portuguese language during park hours. If anyone doesn't notice the Brazilian groups during the summer take over parts of the resorts and are in force in the parks, they are blind.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It was never full but Disney likes when Brazilian groups visit in droves during summertime and can be visibly seen ( and heard ) in the theme parks. In 1999 when we were at HS, it was a first to see and hear the last 2 Indy shows were performed and spoken in the Portuguese language during park hours. If anyone doesn't notice the Brazilian groups during the summer take over parts of the resorts and are in force in the parks, they are blind.
They’re there…were there…anyway…

But the levels are overstated

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
It's really too early to tell. Where is the drop? Sure, we can just say "less people" - but where are they taking the biggest hits? Is it admission? On property stays? F&B? Merch?

It'll probably be a combination of all of them. But I think they'll address things individually. If on property stays are significantly down then you'll see room discounts. If daily park spend is low you could see % off dining and/or Merch discounts. If admission is off then possibly APs and/or other types of ticket discounts.

maemae74

The matching colored Tshirts and flags!!! You couldn't miss them. We would see that flag go up at a line entrance and just turn and walk the other direction. Large groups of unsupervised teenagers are annoying no matter what country they come from.

Last edited:

Brad Bishop

I agree with all you said but since WW II the politicians have run the wars and with their rules of engagement we the military were not allowed to win. Vietnam never lost a battle, politicians lost the war This will more than likely be deleted
Yep. Exactly my point. Politicians tie the soldiers' hands in such a way that they basically have to call a senator to get permission to shoot back. It's ridiculous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom