What happened to Mickey Mouse?!

Captain Barbosa

Original Poster
I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on this...

Do you think Disney should make a new full length animated film starring Mickey Mouse? Either traditionally animated or computer animated. I think it would be great if they did something with Mickey other than put him on new t-shirts and other merchandise. I just think it is kind of strange that Disney doesn't make any new Mickey cartoons (as far as I know) or movies or anything.

Thoughts?

DisneyRoxMySox

It would be a somewhat dangerous move.
Imagine how a failed movie would reflect on the company's star character.

I agree. But if Feature Animation put a lot of time in making the film, I wouldn't see a problem. I think that most people who go see it being it's the first Mickey Mouse movie in theatres in a long time. But the story line needs to be realllly good.

Captain Barbosa

Original Poster
Obviously it would need to be a great film. Story and everything. It is Mickey Mouse and I think anyone involved with making the film would spend TONS of time on it.

wbt06

they have a show on playhouse disney staring micky and they have come out with many straght to dyd movies with him in them every cristmas for 3 years now they have.

Captain Barbosa

Original Poster
The DVDs are good. But I'm talking about a movie released in theaters. Maybe something that would be so good it would convince Disney to keep making traditionally animated movies?

jedimaster1227

I agree that this is too risky, as the character's face is the face of the company and one bad step could ruin that. Just look at how Disney tried to extend its theme park face by making movies based on famous attractions (Here is the score: Pirates +3, Haunted Mansion -1, The Country Bears -1, Swiss Family Robinson -1, Jungle Cruise -1).

BiggerTigger

Disney did release the Three Musketeers, right to DVD, starring Mickey, Donald, and Goofy back in 2004. It wasn't the best that they could have done. But they did try to incorporate the Fab Five into a classic movie. I am sure there are other classic tales that could use them, I just wish they would spend more time developing the movie instead of rushing it out like this one felt like.

Any ideas as to what story line Disney might use?

Buford

I vote for an AWESOME cartoon short before the next Disney animated feature.........

(what? No Mickey Mouse? What kind of party IS THIS??)

Xadllas

I agree that this is too risky, as the character's face is the face of the company and one bad step could ruin that. Just look at how Disney tried to extend its theme park face by making movies based on famous attractions (Here is the score: Pirates +3, Haunted Mansion -1, The Country Bears -1, Swiss Family Robinson -1, Jungle Cruise -1).
Uh not that i want to correct you (because Im a new fan of yours lol) but The Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse is based on Walt Disney's movie...

Dagger

Go back to making Mickey cartoons. No movies.

Agreed... there's no appeal for me (and many adults) for the Mickey movie but the cartoons are great and they rebuild the appeal for future generations....

Sidenote... we were at WDW in December with my daughter, but just this week did she actually discover Mickey. She just started really saying words recently and I picked up a Mickey doll she's had since birth and said "Mickey" and she finally put 2+2 together that that's the guy on the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and started hugging the doll :)

sanctumsolitude

Here is the score: Pirates +3, Haunted Mansion -1, The Country Bears -1, Swiss Family Robinson -1, Jungle Cruise -1.

As said, Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse was based off of the 1960 Swiss Family Robinson movie, and opened in 1962 (at Disneyland). It is also considered a classic movie :).

And give Jungle Cruise a chance. Maybe it will be the smash hit of the summer? Right? Maybe? Possibly?

Skip

I would love to see a theatrical release for Mickey, maybe a Fantasmic style showdown type of film?

However, the risks would be huge. Imagine what would happen if the company's biggest icon made a huge blunder like a bombing film. Remember how Walt didn't associate Mickey Mouse with Disneyland before it opened and instead used Tinkerbell? Disneyland was risky, and if it failed, the Mickey Mouse character would be kind of soiled, so they used a lesser character that could afford a bit of damage. It's kind of the same deal here.

Three Musketeers was okay, but it needed some original songs, not classical tunes with new lyrics.

-Skip

I think that Mickey should be brought back slowly into a full feature. If they bring him back into a movie now and it's terrible, Disney has a HUGE problem on their hands. Say they put a few shorts before other Disney movies, and if those go well, put a few more as extras on dvds (both straight to video and decent ones (yeah, I said it, you know it's true)). One bad move and it's gonna be a sad day for ol' four fingers. If done properly, it can be great. If not...

Swiss Family? The treehouse came out in 1962, two years after the movie came out, so that is null and void. I love SFR and I, as a lover of old school Disney, love the treehouse. Disney architexture is excellent and it gives tremendous views of MK

i know that this isn't exactly what you're talking about, but the mickey mouse clubhouse is fantastic for pre-schoolers. also, i think it's a pretty good marketing tool, because it introduces alot of the original characters to a younger generation-thereby creating the 'i wants' when kids go to the stores and see disney products.

it really is a well done educational program for little ones.

DisneyWales

How can you write off Robinson and Jungle Cruise before then even get a release??!?!

slappy magoo

Mickey Mouse was a character made for shorts. There's inherently less risk in producing shorts, as you can make it balls-out crazy for 7 minutes without exhausting the audience, relying less on plot and nuance and emotion and more on sight gags and silly action. A new Mickey Mouse short preceding a highly-anticipated movie would make that movie an event. It's unnecessary pressure to make a Mickey feature, like a kid trying to run in his father's shoes. Except, you know, with 100 million dollars riding on the race.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom