What [G-rated things] do you do after the kids go to bed?

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
I was just wondering what most folks staying in a single room (i.e., no separate bedrooms for parents and children) do to entertain themselves, if anything, after the little ones go to bed.

We'll be staying in a standard room at POR for 5 nights and are hoping to tuck the kids (ages 4 and 6) into bed by 8:30pm (except for our last night, when we'll stay late at MK for "Wishes") in order to preserve their sleep schedule and give them adequate rest for early-morning park arrivals.

I usually don't go to bed until 10pm and DH often stays up until midnight. Is it any fun to have us take turns staying in the room while the other goes for a walk or tours the resort? Shall we just plan on tiptoeing around the room and reading after the kids nod off? Or do you find that the grown-ups are so tired that an early bedtime is in order for them, too?

Just curious what other parents typically do...

fdcfjj

You can get an in-room babysitter after the kids fall asleep for a couple of hours with Disney Guest Services called "Kids Night Out". Call (407) 828-0920, 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., 7 days a week. Ther service is available 24/7. You can put a pop-up tent on the bed so the kids don't get disturbed too much by the light and watch TV. You can take turns leaving the room or you can just go to sleep. You maybe more exhausted then you think.

nolatron

Last September I took my then 4yr (then 3) DD to WDW by myself, staying in a studio at AKV. On most nights we were back in the room for bedtime at 9-ish. I was still wired most of the nights so while DD slept on the sofa bed I sat in the bed with most lights out and typed out the days activities on the ipad in a journal I was keeping till I was sleepy enough to go to bed.

ddrongowski

If I read your post correct, you are staying at Port Orleans Riverside. Get the babysitter service and you and your husband schedule a horse drawn carriage ride. My wife and I had the best time going for the ride at nighttime.

erstwo

At home I go to bed at midnight, but at Disney, I could usually go to bed at 7! :D

Unless you are used to standing on your feet from 6:30 am to 7:00 pm every day, all day - you will at the very least have sore feet/ legs that will need resting.

BUT that doesn't mean you can't still do the babysitter thing! We haven't done it, but it seems like a fantastic idea. Just putting my 2 cents in. Probably worth what you paid for it! :)

I totally understand preserving the sleep schedule. We had to do that (even on Disney trips) until 2 or so years ago. It was the only thing that kept (all 4 of us!) sane and behaving nicely. Now our kids can stay up late and sleep in. But I do miss those early mornings in the parks - it really is the best time to get things done, especially in the hot months. Hope you have a great trip!

GenerationX

When our kids were that age, we'd put them in one of the kids clubs (Neverland Club, Sandcastle Club, etc.) for one night each trip. We'd spend that night at a nice restaurant for dinner (the kids clubs all serve kids meals for dinner) and go to Jellyrolls or something similar for an adults outing.

Other nights we'd read, do puzzles, and map out the next day's activities.

jlandis44

We've always pushed their bedtime by an hour or so, meaning we have them asleep by about 9:30PM. Then, we just pull out our "Itty-Bity Book Lights" and read in bed. We're pretty boring!

HouCuseChickie

If we're not too beat, one of us usually gets a few drinks- brings them back to the room and we have a nightcap before turning in. Thankfully, we've had a balcony or a patio our last two trips so that's helped...but I swear, the kids are so worn out that we can still sit in the room and talk quiety and they'd sleep right through it. :snore:

bethymouse

Yep!

If we're not too beat, one of us usually gets a few drinks- brings them back to the room and we have a nightcap before turning in. Thankfully, we've had a balcony or a patio our last two trips so that's helped...but I swear, the kids are so worn out that we can still sit in the room and talk quiety and they'd sleep right through it. :snore:

That's what we do. Grab a drink and sit on the patio/balcony.

The kids are quite tuckered out. They fall asleep right away!:)

We're usually still pretty wired from the excitement of the day, so we sit, sip, and chat until we get sleepy ( about an hour).:sohappy:

DisDadEddie

We go to bed when the kids go to bed. We are at the parks until closing and we are all exhausted. We also wake up early every day and go to the parks when they first open.

disneylemons

We always made sure to have a room with a balcony or patio area - have a drink and relax while they slept. Really nice if you have a water view and watch/listen to the boats, etc.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I do the balcony/patio too. At Carribean last year I had a wonderful upstairs room in Aruba that, even though it was a base room (no "view" of the lake), it did...actually have a view of the lake, due to how the other buildings were situated. The garden was fantastic, and I'd pick up a drink at the bar on our way back to the room (many nights), and sit outside and relax after she was in bed.

I don't stay up too late though, cause I want to get out early the next day and be well rested!

foreverbelle

We have done the babysitting service several times now and love it. It is a great option for parents who want a little adult time, whether it is to hit up a nightclub/enjoy an evening dinner or hit the parks for some big kid rides. If we don't do it, we tend to head out on a balcony. I sit and read, people watch or just enjoy some down time before hitting it strong again in the morning.

coachwnh

early in the trip, we sit on the balcony of the resort we are staying at and enjoy adult beverages!!! (several adult beverages). later on in the trip, we go to bed when they do. WDW makes me very sleepy after long, hot days!!

StupidJudy

Maybe it's just me but I'm ready for bed by 8:30 when I'm at Disney! We make it to the parks each morning a half hour before they open to get on all the rides before the crowds get there. I don't know if that would be possible with kids, but let me tell you, if you do that every morning you will get on tons of rides and you won't have to worry about finding something to do at night... you'll be ready for bed early!!

mimitchi33

Here's my list of what to do after the little ones go to bed:
* Go to the arcade.
* Go to the 24-hour snack bars.
* If any park is open until midnight or has night time EMH, go by yourselves.

maryszhi

i don't have kids, but i have some suggestions. if you have a babysitter, the boardwalk area is amazing. if not, you guys could take turns walking around the resort, or going for a late night swim or drink at your resort. another is planning the next days events or doing little surprises for the kids, like decorate the window something different everyday, or making little goodie bags to bring to the parks. they don't ave to be expensive, but have little things to keep them occupied while in line or when they get hungry. On a side note, there is universal city walk which has a lot to do. also downtown Disney has a movie theater and stuff. hope this helps!

71dsp

We stay at the parks until they close and go to bed at the same time as the kids, at 11 or 12.

This is what we do. By the time we get back to the room, we're as beat as our son, so we all end up going to bed at the same time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom