What do you think of the EPCOT Central Spine redesign?

Kman101

Epcot's problem is that the original sponsorship model doesn't really work anymore so if Disney has to pay for all the attractions they will use them to promote Disney things instead of communication, or agriculture, or whatever business the old sponsor was in. It's selfish and short sighted, but what else is to be expected in a corporate culture obsessed with quarterly profits?

The Communicore buildings could be used to allow guests to dive deeper into the subject matter of the surrounding pavilions, but when that subject is Finding Nemo or Guardians of the Galaxy there really isn't much deeper to go. Those buildings are huge and even if you tried to fill them with gift shops and restaurants, that's a lot of gift shops and restaurants.

Epcot was built big because they wanted it to hold big ideas. Disney just isn't into big ideas anymore.

As for the aesthetics of the central Plaza, I still think this is fine.
Communicore.1.jpg

That's one picture. The area needs work and we'd be getting more of that not less of. That picture leaves out the awful paint scheme and tarps ... just saying ...

yensid67

It is crazy to me that Disney would knock down these building to construct a whole new Hub. I agree, they could use the existing structures and just spruce up the look of them. It would definitely be easier and cheaper. I am surprised they are not going to do that. It would allow them to focus more on the other parts of Future World.

If I am not mistaken, that image is what Epcot Center was SUPPOS to look like in one of the earlier renderings? But again, I think this picture was showing these buildings as he countries of WSC(but then someone got the idea and made a entire section for WSC) Remember when WSC was to be its own park!? I would imagine if Disney did any salvaging of Innoventions, it would be somewhat like the buildings in the picture...with merchandising on the ground level and restaurants on the second(imagine looking out those giant windows into the future!)
As far as MouseGear goes, I saw a video of the spine project and it clearly show 3 buildings on either side of the new fountain, 2 on Mexico side and a very unique looking building on UK side. These could be possible locations for MouseGear and Club cool. And also in that same video they were talking about the entrance plaza being pushed into the new fountain area!? I don't know how that would work when SSE is in the middle of the area!? Look up the video on youtube...its under Epcot Future Plans blogger is DSNY

Kman101

It's funny to me that we lament the loss of trees/shade, water, fountains, etc. and what this plan does is include that and people still aren't very happy. I know it's very blue sky ... but we're really mourning losing some empty buildings that haven't lived up to their potential for a very long time? Most guests don't understand the idea of walking through them as they should have. I don't mind opening up some space. I doubt the final plan is as ambitious as the blue sky concept art shows but this is the kind of thing we should actually be pleased about.

JGP

I like the open air concept. it gets so congested and it isn't a very nice looking area any longer. I wonder if Starbucks will be relocated or are they being removed?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It's funny to me that we lament the loss of trees/shade, water, fountains, etc. and what this plan does is include that and people still aren't very happy.
That's true. And rightly so.

A more expensive version keeps the buildings, repurposes them and still looses the tarps and adds landscaping. And it looked spectacular.

Last edited:

Kman101

That's true. And rightly so.

A more expensive version keeps the buildings, repurposes them and still looses the tarps and ands landscaping. And it looked spectacular.

Ok.

I think this also looks spectacular. I'm sure the other version is as good as you say it is. But you know the different plans. We don't. We're going by what they've shown us, which they likely shouldn't have. I doubt it ends up being as ambitious as this shows. But I don't see why it's right to complain about more shade, landscaping and fountains. I'd be just fine with them repurposing the buildings, I'm surprised they may not but I also don't have an attachment to them, but that's me. Other's do and that's fine but they're corpses at this point. They aren't doing much with them. Open up the area and give us some new buildings. Nothing wrong with that.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Ok.

I think this also looks spectacular. I'm sure the other version is as good as you say it is. But you know the different plans. We don't. We're going by what they've shown us, which they likely shouldn't have. I doubt it ends up being as ambitious as this shows. But I don't see why it's right to complain about more shade, landscaping and fountains. I'd be just fine with them repurposing the buildings, I'm surprised they may not but I also don't have an attachment to them, but that's me. Other's do and that's fine but they're corpses at this point. They aren't doing much with them. Open up the area and give us some new buildings. Nothing wrong with that.
We know this is blue sky. It's likely there will be 60% of what's shown happening. Thankfully it won't be to the extent this art shows.

Would it be so hard to do something with the existing buildings? No. Did laziness allow them to become the ghetto they have? Possibly.

And of course thankfully it's not the hotel version.

Kman101

We know this is blue sky. It's likely there will be 60% of what's shown happening. Thankfully it won't be to the extent this art shows.

Would it be so hard to do something with the editing buildings? No.

And of course thankfully it's not the hotel version.

I'm VERY happy it's not including a hotel.

I've assumed the plan wouldn't be as ambitious as shown. It's nice to see in theory. I guess they'll find a common ground between the plan you saw that repurposes the buildings and this one. I just hope they do it right but I feel like a spine makeover could easily keep getting pushed off. I hope not.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm VERY happy it's not including a hotel.

I've assumed the plan wouldn't be as ambitious as shown. It's nice to see in theory. I guess they'll find a common ground between the plan you saw that repurposes the buildings and this one. I just hope they do it right but I feel like a spine makeover could easily keep getting pushed off. I hope not.
Right now I can't see the project not happening to some large degree. There's buildings they don't want. The relaunch has been announced. There's a lot wrong with the current spine.

Sadly it also includes removing more buildings than just most of Communicore. But again, it's still a work in progress..

It's a project that's existed for almost a decade now. Easier to roll into the parks larger capex than to try and justify it again in isolation.

trainplane3

Right now I can't see the project not happening to some large degree. There's buildings they don't want. The relaunch has been announced. There's a lot wrong with the current spine.

Sadly it also includes removing more buildings than just most of Communicore. But again, it's still a work in progress..

It's a project that's existed for almost a decade now. Easier to roll into the parks larger capex than to try and justify it again in isolation.
Like someone else in this thread said, this concept art looks based off the Project Gemini picture from Jill Hill. Is that the reference to "almost a decade"? It's like the revenge of Gemini.
projectgemini1.jpg

Dapper Dan

That's one picture. The area needs work and we'd be getting more of that not less of. That picture leaves out the awful paint scheme and tarps ... just saying ...
That picture doesn't include the bad paint or tarps because it was taken before either existed. It's from before the update from Communicore to Innoventions that saw those ponds and lawns filled with concrete.

clemmo

Is this still scheduled for 2020/2021? or has it been delayed again?

montyz81

If indeed they remove the buildings, do the utilidors go with it? That's a great deal of work to remove everything. Sort of feels removal of these buildings would cut entrance access off to just about the entire park.

I got to believe they can build out something within those buildings that would work.

Also, is there any update on the next version of Illuminations. I didn't hear anything about it in any of the announcements.

P_Radden

I hate to draw this but I cant help but feeling like these structures marked with "X" will be gone or replaced:
epcot spine demo.png

:(

Futureworld is dated and likely will never return mostly because business of today are not so quick to want to share their technology ...it's a simple fact. However futureworld could take on a more generic approach and show things as they've changed through time and where they might head into the future... example astronomy space travel, oceanography, travel ,biology ....all of these things could be incorporated into a future world showing the evolution of these areas and speculation on where they're headed. Further they could more easily be kept up-to-date. Finally maybe even some thrill rides could be creatively incorporated into these themed areas. A few new rides incorporated into the countries is long over due... And hopefully if they're going to use the latest movies in those rides they will somehow relate. But it's time for a change and I hate to see this become more of a generic Magic Kingdom part 2 or 3....

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If indeed they remove the buildings, do the utilidors go with it? That's a great deal of work to remove everything. Sort of feels removal of these buildings would cut entrance access off to just about the entire park.

I got to believe they can build out something within those buildings that would work.

Also, is there any update on the next version of Illuminations. I didn't hear anything about it in any of the announcements.
Exactly.

They are taking the tunnels into consideration with this project. Currently scheduled to end mid 2020 though I can see it slipping. Right now it's an Epcot 40 deadline.

There was no update about the new IllumiNations. Currently scheduled mid 2020.

HMF

Exactly.

They are taking the tunnels into consideration with this project. Currently scheduled to end mid 2020 though I can see it slipping. Right now it's an Epcot 40 deadline.

There was no update about the new IllumiNations. Currently scheduled mid 2020.
IllumiNations has been pushed back?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom